Frank Mason is a 3rd guard.

Remember next year we will have:
Fox, Bogdan, Buddy, Temple, Shumpert, Mason... we won’t be trying to tank so I doubt Mason sees many minutes. I’m not even sure Justin Jackson sees many minutes.
They better be playing next year. Foregoing the development of younger players to finish in 11th place would be really stupid.

So actually yeah, I'm sure the Kings will probably do just that.

They better be playing next year. Foregoing the development of younger players to finish in 11th place would be really stupid.

So actually yeah, I'm sure the Kings will probably do just that.
Actually the Kings have to show some promise next year to have any hope of signing even a marginal free agent. They will and should play their best shot at winning next year. Shump and Temple may well play.

I would not be surprised if either Shump or Temple are not on the Kings next year.

I like Frank's prospects of being a solid PG off the bench. He can score and is aggressive and he works hard. He knows how to get into the lane and if he would shoot it a little more from the outside it would open that up even more for him. I would like to see him set up others from that drive more consistently, but I'm confident he'll get better at that. From a distance it seems like he wants to succeed and will do the work necessary to make that happen. I don't know that he has a real high ceiling as a defender, but if he did he would probably be starter material.

Mason is a capable player, but I agree with King Baller that he crashes the lane often and gets his shot blocked. He has never figured out how to attack the basket like say IT. If he learns the floater like JJ that would help his game a lot. Sometimes he gets lost in dribbling the ball when he should be passing it. I do not see him taking minutes from Fox or Bogie or anyone else at the point.

Actually the Kings have to show some promise next year to have any hope of signing even a marginal free agent. They will and should play their best shot at winning next year. Shump and Temple may well play.
That very well will probably end up being a big topic of debate next year. I personally don't think any marginal free agents are going to sign here unless we overpay (ie Hill) and I certainly don't think they're going to sign because they are excited to play with the Shumps and Temples of the world.

Our veterans aren't playoff caliber players. If the young players don't develop, the future is lost. Next year should be better in some ways because we won't have to worry about tanking, but giving the young players minutes to veterans to try and lure free agents will be futile IMO.

That very well will probably end up being a big topic of debate next year. I personally don't think any marginal free agents are going to sign here unless we overpay (ie Hill) and I certainly don't think they're going to sign because they are excited to play with the Shumps and Temples of the world.

Our veterans aren't playoff caliber players. If the young players don't develop, the future is lost. Next year should be better in some ways because we won't have to worry about tanking, but giving the young players minutes to veterans to try and lure free agents will be futile IMO.
Concerning the "overpay to Hill", is He making less money with the Cavs now?

I would not be surprised if either Shump or Temple are not on the Kings next year.

I like Frank's prospects of being a solid PG off the bench. He can score and is aggressive and he works hard. He knows how to get into the lane and if he would shoot it a little more from the outside it would open that up even more for him. I would like to see him set up others from that drive more consistently, but I'm confident he'll get better at that. From a distance it seems like he wants to succeed and will do the work necessary to make that happen. I don't know that he has a real high ceiling as a defender, but if he did he would probably be starter material.
I would be shocked if Shumpert and Temple don’t pick up their player options as they will simply not get that type of money in free agency.

I think Kosta will likely opt out but he is probably the player I would want to keep the most given that our big man don’t do any of the stuff big men are supposed to do.

With Shumpert, Temple, Fox, Bogdanović and Mason, that backcourt is getting pretty crowded though.

I think about, "who finishes a close game on the floor".

I just don't see the Kings ever going down the stretch with Fox, Bogie and Buddy all on the floor (with two bigs). I mean, which of them is going to guard LeBron, Paul George, Kawhai Leonard or even Kuzma?

But I think Frank could start and play meaningful minutes with Bogi/Buddy the guards at the end of a close game.

Which is why I think our hand is forced - we have to trade Fox while we can still get value for him - and it should be for an established big, unless someone is willing to give up a top five pick for him (if there is a big we are sure will be available, like Bagley), which seems doubtful. Even a top ten pick might do, since we could package our (then) two number one's to move into the top three.

I mean, this draft is pretty much it for this rebuild. Even if Giles is sound, we are still short one big and we have more than enough guards.

I think about, "who finishes a close game on the floor".

I just don't see the Kings ever going down the stretch with Fox, Bogie and Buddy all on the floor (with two bigs). I mean, which of them is going to guard LeBron, Paul George, Kawhai Leonard or even Kuzma?

But I think Frank could start and play meaningful minutes with Bogi/Buddy the guards at the end of a close game.

Which is why I think our hand is forced - we have to trade Fox while we can still get value for him - and it should be for an established big, unless someone is willing to give up a top five pick for him (if there is a big we are sure will be available, like Bagley), which seems doubtful. Even a top ten pick might do, since we could package our (then) two number one's to move into the top three.

I mean, this draft is pretty much it for this rebuild. Even if Giles is sound, we are still short one big and we have more than enough guards.
Why would you think the Kings can't finish a game with Fox, Hield & Bogie (something they have been doing btw), but would have no trouble closing games with Mason, Hield & Bogie? Fox is bigger than Mason and has played some SG for the Kings this year.

maybe i was not clear. i DON'T see mason as a finisher (unless he is "hot" and bogi or buddy are "not").

i see mason starting with bogi, then going out when buddy comes in. bogi moves to point.

and at the end of games, it's buddy/bogi in the backcourt.

bogi is similar to c.j. mccollum (portland) in this regard, except that the kings don't HAVE a lillard (but DO have a vinnie johnson).

I don't think he can consistently play extended mins on a contending team. I think the team should look for another PG in the 2nd round. Now that doesn't mean I don't think Mason can't contribute to the Kings but I think his best role would be in the 3rd guard slot.
wow @ these statements a lot of you make after one season lol as if the guy hasn't battled injuries all year. Fox included

Jesus

I don't know how it works but I think I remember hearing that Mason had a promise from the Kings as their 2nd round pick. This seems kind of ridiculous though as its not like he was going to return to school or anything.
This made me question Vlade again as I too thought why pass on Jordan Bell when he was brought in for workouts, got great reviews and most of us liked him. Vlade IMO complicates things with trade downs then passing on BPA's because he's got two for ones going resulting in "positions of need" but not the best player.
Anyways, water under the bridge Mason is ok but seems easily replaceable.
if it sounds ridiculous, then it likely is lol. no one is promising a player in the second round anything IMO. i just dont see it

I would be shocked if Shumpert and Temple don’t pick up their player options as they will simply not get that type of money in free agency.

I think Kosta will likely opt out but he is probably the player I would want to keep the most given that our big man don’t do any of the stuff big men are supposed to do.

With Shumpert, Temple, Fox, Bogdanović and Mason, that backcourt is getting pretty crowded though.
Shump is definitely not going to opt out and I don't want Kosta to. I think it's unlikely but possible that Temple does. I think he has value as a trade piece though. Not a ton or anything, but some value nonetheless.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if he becomes a rotational guard for the Kings, I'll call it a successful draft pick. The expectations shouldn't be high for second rounders, and undersized to boot, so if he manages to find a niche in the league for a good while, good on him.

So I think it's clear that Mason should be running the stockton squad this year to see if he can sharpen his skills. If not it's time to decline his option or find a trade next year. Just not showing that he's an nba guard right now.