Four quarters of solid basketball

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
it was nice to see for one game. I wonder when the next time we get to witness it. Kings do play the Warriors one more time, don't they?

Starts with Fox, to often he will wait till the game is nearly out of reach to start playing like he did in the 1st against the Clippers, with his athletic ability/endurance he should be starting games like that cause I doubt he's going to tire out as much as most and saving himself for the second half.
You're asking him to be completely selfish, which, in reality, this current team probably needs him to be. But he's much more of an unselfish team player that looks to get others involved first. And that's far from a bad thing, especially once there's a better team around him.

But I'm just not sure it's in his nature to try to be that way. But perhaps he's starting to learn to be.

You're asking him to be completely selfish, which, in reality, this current team probably needs him to be. But he's much more of an unselfish team player that looks to get others involved first. And that's far from a bad thing, especially once there's a better team around him.

But I'm just not sure it's in his nature to try to be that way. But perhaps he's starting to learn to be.
Its great if/when Fox is an unselfish player. The way he can best utilize it is to attack the defense and then unselfishly pass to the open guy if the defense rotates. Passing the ball around the perimeter often just leads to someone else trying to break the defenesne and Fox is probably the only one in this team that can do it consistantly.

Some nights attacking the defense leads to 20+FGA and a lot of free throws if the defensive game plan isnt to rotate hard. Some nights it leads to 13 FGA and +10 assists if defense locks on Fox. To me offensively this is the step he needs to take in order to be consistently that all star level player he can be. Be very aggressive, read the defensive rotations and make the right play wether its to score or pass.

I look at it slightly differently.
When he starts the game aggressively (being selfish, so to speak), it helps establish a tone for the team and himself, gives him a few easy shots at the rim which may help him feel more general to use his outside shot and in general sets the stage for having more room to maneuver and distributing the ball.
In other words, Fox being "selfish" early on helps him being "unselfish"as the game progresses. That's the Fox I enjoy seeing most, because I also feel that when he comes in engaged on offense and scoring, it carries over to his defense as well as the rest of the guys on the floor.

Its great if/when Fox is an unselfish player. The way he can best utilize it is to attack the defense and then unselfishly pass to the open guy if the defense rotates. Passing the ball around the perimeter often just leads to someone else trying to break the defenesne and Fox is probably the only one in this team that can do it consistantly.

Some nights attacking the defense leads to 20+FGA and a lot of free throws if the defensive game plan isnt to rotate hard. Some nights it leads to 13 FGA and +10 assists if defense locks on Fox. To me offensively this is the step he needs to take in order to be consistently that all star level player he can be. Be very aggressive, read the defensive rotations and make the right play wether its to score or pass.
Well, his post game presser indicated that he just might agree. Whether he can consistently keep up that mindset remains to be seen.

It's one of those things imo if he's being selfish he's actually being unselfish (I know it makes no sense), if he's always smashing through and getting to the rim it opens up Holmes/Dedmon (hopefully Bagley) for garbage points and forces the defense to collapse and opens up Bjelly/Bogi/Buddy and stops any of them from having to dribble more than once or twice to get to the rim. The guy is a freak athlete and good endurance him being unselfish (he's not a elite playmaker imo) has to stop and he has to take advantage of what made him a NBA player and that's the athletic ability and streaming to the rim non stop.

Him trying to be Chris Paul for 3 quarters is a lose, he just has to be himself and ATTTTTACKKKKKKK!

I have one.
Why do the Kings have so much trouble playing 4 quarters?
They usually show up for 3, sometimes only 2.
It is one of the keys to their improving in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have one.
Why do the Kings have so much trouble playing 4 quarters?
They usually show up for 3, sometimes only 2.
It is one of the keys to their improving in the future.
On the night this thread was created, they did indeed play four quarters of solid basketball. That's the point of the "Any questions" tradition - commenting on something that stands out so obviously there should be no questions. ;)