ESPN/Mark Stein: The Artest Sweepstakes

Fact is, though, that Sacramento likely will continue to attract trade interest in Artest no matter what he says, with Artest down to the final year of his current contract at a very tradeable $7.4 million. Maloof himself acknowledged to ESPN.com on Sunday that "the Lakers do want him" … as do "about six other teams."

Yet the Kings continue to insist that the team that ultimately gets Artest will have to take Kenny Thomas' contract as well. NBA front-office sources say the Mavericks were told several days ago, for example, that an offer of bruising power forward Brandon Bass, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse and $2 million to cover Stackhouse's guarantee in the 2009-10 season would not be enough to reunite Artest with new Mavs coach Rick Carlisle. (Dallas has no interest in a Josh Howard-for-Artest swap in any incarnation.)
More here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/colum...gasChatter-080717&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
wow who the hell would want to enter a sweepstakes like that, on par with entering a contest to win a colonoscopy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think the KINGS have mentioned KT. I love how all the sports writers are making it sound as though it's a well-known fact.

Blech...

I don't think the KINGS have mentioned KT. I love how all the sports writers are making it sound as though it's a well-known fact.

Blech...
what do you mean? that the kings havent said anything about packaging KT with artest? if thats so i hope that they start saying it louder

Last edited:
Maloof himself acknowledged to ESPN.com on Sunday that "the Lakers do want him"
As I said in another thread. The Lakers will do the deal, and take Thomas, we just have to wait. The longer it goes, and the more interest there is, the Lakers will eventually step in and do it.

The Maloofs dont have to come right out and say, you have to take KT, but that's been LONG rumored since before the trade deadline last season, that any team taking Artest has to take Thomas. Also with a possible deal with Odom involved at 14.1 mill I think I saw somewhere, the difference has to be covered.

There was a trade posted up by someone of Odom/Ariza for Artest/Thomas. That is a beautiful trade. Odom and Ariza are both enders THIS next season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
what do you mean? that the kings havent said anything about packaging KT with artest? if thats so i hope that they start saying it louder
What do you mean "what do you mean?" ;)

What I mean is there has been no public announcement by the Kings proclaiming an Artest-KT package the only deal on the market.

I personally don't think KT is a deal killer one way or the other. He's become more or less the invisible man and isn't causing the franchise major headaches at this point. If they can move him, of course they would but I'd bet just about anything they won't turn down an offer for Artest solely because KT isn't part of the deal. It doesn't make sense.

What do you mean "what do you mean?" ;)

What I mean is there has been no public announcement by the Kings proclaiming an Artest-KT package the only deal on the market.

I personally don't think KT is a deal killer one way or the other. He's become more or less the invisible man and isn't causing the franchise major headaches at this point. If they can move him, of course they would but I'd bet just about anything they won't turn down an offer for Artest solely because KT isn't part of the deal. It doesn't make sense.
okay thanks, i literally meant what do you mean to understand. i just needed it re worded

As I said in another thread. The Lakers will do the deal, and take Thomas, we just have to wait. The longer it goes, and the more interest there is, the Lakers will eventually step in and do it.

The Maloofs dont have to come right out and say, you have to take KT, but that's been LONG rumored since before the trade deadline last season, that any team taking Artest has to take Thomas. Also with a possible deal with Odom involved at 14.1 mill I think I saw somewhere, the difference has to be covered.

There was a trade posted up by someone of Odom/Ariza for Artest/Thomas. That is a beautiful trade. Odom and Ariza are both enders THIS next season.
Yeah and it would allow us to have FA money this season rather than 2010 when everyone will have it. With guys like Josh Smith, Luol Deng, etc. potentially taking the 1 year QO we could get a nice FA next year.