ESPN: Kings to miss the playoff

According to Basketball Power Index, Kings to miss the playoffs......this year more than others looks to be more of a crap shoot though. I still hold out some hope for them.
The experience alone makes it a worthy goal in and of itself.
ESPN_PLAYOFF_BPI.PNG

Ah man... We're getting all excited for nothing!? I didn't know these things were planned so far in advance. :rolleyes:
I'm excited for the Kings to possibly make .500, and take the BPI as a guess at best. This year, there's a big field still. You'll probably see some separation pretty soon, but its still early.

I'm excited for the Kings to possibly make .500, and take the BPI as a guess at best. This year, there's a big field still. You'll probably see some separation pretty soon, but its still early.
I get it. I'm just messing with you because of how you worded the title. I think their percentages are a bit wonky on this thing, but here we are talking about it so I guess they win.

If Kings stay healthy they make the playoffs. If they lose a man or two for an extended period of time then they wont. I think its as simple as that. At full strength they have shown than can compete with and win against the best of the west and put away the teams they should.

Need both LA teams to fall off. Lakers have started to spiral down in the standings without Lebron.

Jazz, Spurs, Rockets, and Timberwolves are all playing well at the moment.

Every game is a must win for us.

Hard to really value win projections for the west this year when there's just insane parity with a majority of the Western conference. Only 6 games separate the 14 seed Grizzlies and the 4 seed Blazers. That's one great 2 week stretch from the Grizzlies and one rough 2 week stretch from the Blazers of a difference. Meanwhile in the East, there's a 17.5 game difference between the 4 seed Sixers and 14 seed Knicks.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Meanwhile in the East, there's a 17.5 game difference between the 4 seed Sixers and 14 seed Knicks.
And yet despite that, the 11th place Wizards are still within playoff striking distance. Which is why they probably won't be sellers yet.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How the hell are the Lakers and Pelicans, both teams on verges of momentum crushing crisises, somehow more likely to make the playoffs than the Kings. I get that both have guaranteed superstars but Lebron is injured and his supporting cast is imploding upon itself and the Pelicans have the weirdest roster in the league.

it will be difficult to get to the play offs.... you simply have to name few teams that wont, and that is not easy... Lakers are gonna be there... they were 4th before lebron backed off if i remember correctly... them now losing is only because of his absence, and he will be back...

I just visited thread on another forum and realised, we are probably fighting for 8th spot with Utah, Clippers and Spurs... so games against them count double

It's possible but I think that bad losing stretch without Bagley and starting the season without Bogdan might keep Sacramento out.

I wonder what the Kings record is with a full healthy roster?

ESPN predicting no playoffs is actually good. Naysayers and low expectations are all the Kings have been getting prior to the improvement during this season.

Remember the reaction of "Super team, just young"??? Some on this site were part of the "What the heck is Vlade saying" crew.

IMO 35 wins is still a great improvement and anything above that is complete victory!

From the ESPN site: "BPI accounts for game-by-game efficiency, strength of schedule, pace, days of rest, game location and preseason expectations."

Yeah, nothing like having preseason expectations built into a model.

I think what hurts the Kings in these models is that they have been blown out in a few games, but rarely win in a blow out.

I think it's fair to say that the Kings will have to take things up a notch in the second half in order to make the playoffs. Whether that's improving through Bagley/Giles development, a trade, or simply the established players being more consistent down the stretch of close games, the current trajectory would have us just missing out.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Safe bet, given how crazy close the West is. But hey, LeBron is still hurt. Capela got injured and should be out for a month (who's gonna rebound all of Harden's bricks now?). Clippers seem to be falling back to earth a bit.

Meanwhile, I think the Kings are continuing to baby-step towards legit respectability. There are going to be some more rough stretches, but I honestly think this team is taking 2.3 steps forward for every 2 steps back! You just gotta pay attention to the little things!

And as others like to mention, Bagley being back could end up being a difference maker in close games, especially as he continues to shake off the rust. He was rolling pre-injury.

It'll be fun to prove BSPN wrong. But either way this has been an awesome season thus far. I'll still feel that way without a playoff berth.