Dougs absence?

I know it cannot be proven factually, but I was just wondering if not having DC is contributing to these close losses? You know that many times the team could count on Doug to come up with the big steal, hustle play or defensive stop. His steals and hustle plays could really be momentum turners. Just a thought. Not trying to diss Cat as I know he is still working into the system. Just thought I would throw it out there for conjecture.

Like you said, it can't be proven factually. Could it be possible that if we had Christie instead of Mobley that we could've won all the games we lost? Yes, but in the same sense, we could have lost all the games we had that Mobley played in and we won.

BigWaxer said:
I knew this thread/post was around the corner. Just had a feeling.
I said in my post that this was not an ANTI-Mobley thread. I was just trying to talk about something other than get rid of peja or the refs suck. It just seemed a possibility that DC's absence is contributing to our close losses. I guess I should have also said that I believe the Kings will get it together without him, but that it will take time. I loved DC and I miss him, but I also think that it was a good trade.

xrzn said:
Like you said, it can't be proven factually. Could it be possible that if we had Christie instead of Mobley that we could've won all the games we lost? Yes, but in the same sense, we could have lost all the games we had that Mobley played in and we won.
Well, considering Mobley is scoring about 10 more points a game then Christie did I don't see how this can happen. Doug is not necessarily known as a clutch player and is just as prone as everyone else at making the stupid pass or dumb play.

ImaKingsFan said:
I said in my post that this was not an ANTI-Mobley thread. I was just trying to talk about something other than get rid of peja or the refs suck. It just seemed a possibility that DC's absence is contributing to our close losses. I guess I should have also said that I believe the Kings will get it together without him, but that it will take time. I loved DC and I miss him, but I also think that it was a good trade.
I know, just had a feeling the DC talk was gonna be brought up after a bad week or so

The only big complaint I have about Mobley is taking stupid shots. When you're covered, pass the ball. Its the King's philosophy. Mobley takes a good 5 or 6 bad low percentage shots a game.

Same with Eddie House. He is a great shooter but there is no reason to take all those contested shots when you have such an offensive powerhouse surrounding you.

Not to mention he had 21 in game 7 last year, I would say Doug was more clutch these last few years in the playoffs. That being said Cats playing good D and he scores like a mother.

VF21 said:
I don't think you're saying anything Kings fans didn't know.
That is precisely why I apologized for stating the obvious. :eek:

I don't regret the trade one iota.
Neither do I. I was just pointing out that it was not entirely stupid to suggest that Doug's presence might have prevented some of the recent losses. I realize that the argument works both ways. Some of the wins might have been losses if it wasn't for Mobley.

Now I that reread my post, it seems to have as much content as a weather forecast that goes as "Today we are going to have a wonderful weather, unless, god forbid, it rains" :eek:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
stoyak said:
That is precisely why I apologized for stating the obvious. :eek:

Neither do I. I was just pointing out that it was not entirely stupid to suggest that Doug's presence might have prevented some of the recent losses. I realize that the argument works both ways. Some of the wins might have been losses if it wasn't for Mobley.

Now I that reread my post, it seems to have as much content as a weather forecast that goes as "Today we are going to have a wonderful weather, unless, god forbid, it rains" :eek:
Sorry I bit your head off.

You may have been the one to post it, but a lot of people were thinking it, I'm sure.

I'm just a tad testy right now. I don't like to see my beloved team lose, but I can accept that it's a part of the bigger picture. What I cannot accept is when the bigger picture is smeared by the greasy fingerprints of interlopers and, to me, that's what the officials are rapidly becoming. They should be invisible; they should be there just to make sure the game is played as fairly as possible. I just can't say with any real conviction that it is any longer the case.

Please accept my apologies.

:)

Not only is Doug a better defensive player, he is a BETTER player period. Mobley is not exactly the definition of a very high IQ player.

He is slowing down however, and that is the only reason why one would trade a Doug Christie for a Cuttino Mobley.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
This is the kind of second guessing that realy does no good and can just drive you nuts. Doug is gone that is that. Cat is a King so you love him and support him, and that is that. No looking back.

S

SaCKiNgS24

yah christie was good on defense but cat averages 10 more points than christie so they pretty much cancel out. christie was getting old and we need a younger guy.

No regret there.
No one would know what would have happened if there were no Mobley trade. Maybe Cat would have saved $25000. :)

Let's move on. GO KINGS!!

SaCKiNgS24 said:
yah christie was good on defense but cat averages 10 more points than christie so they pretty much cancel out. christie was getting old and we need a younger guy.
I agree DC was starting to show his age and I am not saying I think Mobley is not going to work out in the long run. My main point was that Doug could
turn a game around momentum wise with his hustle plays, a big steal or defensive play and with the slump we are in right now we could use some of that. I just want to see the guys get their swagger back and see Bibby do the crabby EVERY night.. The refs have certainly not helped in that department. Whether you agree if they were bad calls or not, they put a screeching halt to the Kings having any chance of sustaining or building any momentum.

Well we were bad defensively before and now the team is even worse. I like what Mobley has done as a King, but the team still traded away the wrong player for the wrong type of player. Christie did all the things the rest of the team wouldn't do and now its just a giant black hole.

Mobley has been great and punished teams with his 3 point shot, but he doesn't address any of the team's needs. Sometimes it feels like the trade makes a joke out of the Kings, like "hey! we aren't even concerned about defense now!". It's dissapointing and sad to see a team which looks like it has no pride on the defensive end.

I was watching NBA Fastbreak last night and Greg Anthony mentioned he had a conversation with Cattino early yesterday. They talked about how the Cat still hadnt had a good practice yet with the starters. The host was shocked apon hearing that.