Doug Christie next kings coach?

I know that I like his comments about how the players should be used more than what I see on the court, so that's something.

Sorry, I love DC. But putting 3/5 of the Kings Starting lineup from 01-02, plus their 6th man, in charge of of the team only because you like the way they played, is not a serious argument for any of their hires. Vlade is just now settling into the job (finally). I think there are plenty of coaches that share his thoughts who have actually coached a team before.

I like doug. Would be happy with him as an assistant not as head coach.

We need someone established, who isnt going to learn the ropes, who is going to take the base Joerger built and further it. The blueprint is there.

This is the time to overpay to secure what we need. Problem is there isnt a huge availability of established coaches at this point available

Sorry, I love DC. But putting 3/5 of the Kings Starting lineup from 01-02, plus their 6th man, in charge of of the team only because you like the way they played, is not a serious argument for any of their hires. Vlade is just now settling into the job (finally). I think there are plenty of coaches that share his thoughts who have actually coached a team before.
Steve Kerr had no head coaching experience before the GSW hired him. That seemed to work out okay for them. ;)

Sometimes when you hear people talk about the game and you know how they played as a player, some people just get it (i.e. Steve Kerr).

DC strikes me as someone who just gets it. Steve Kerr was also like DC as a TV analyst. They both saw the game and simplified it so that everyone could understand where they are coming from. The attention to detail was also special with DC analyst.

While DC may not be the Coach with the most credentials, I think he may be an out of the box candidate that could possibly be a "hit it out of the park" hiring for the Kings. ;)

While DC may not be the Coach with the most credentials, I think he may be an out of the box candidate that could possibly be a "hit it out of the park" hiring for the Kings. ;)
If they hire him then I hope you're right. But firing an established coach like Dave is already risk, I don't think they take a bigger risk by taking someone with zero coaching experience of any kind. At least Kerr had worked in the league as a GM before coaching GS. If he had been an assistant anywhere or even coached a High School team I'd be more on board.

I like Doug Christie. He knows the game, and is very aware of defense and rebounding and other bball fundamentals. Does he have a coaching resume? People have to learn to be good coaches. Being a good player is not nearly enough.

It is kind of like having your friend manage your bar, because he is really good at drinking.

I like DC too. But that would be a very bold move. Vlade doesn’t seem to care what the Nat’l pundits think of his moves (which is a good thing) but I’m still not sure he’s ready to take the leap of hiring a new coach with little to no experience. Though, he was hired with no experience so perhaps he’d do the same for a brother. It would be the ultimate form of nepotism, but C’est la vie.

I think a less bold move and one that would be applauded would be hiring Becky Hammon. Not saying she would be the right hire, but she does check the box of coming from the Pop/Spurs tree and sounds like she might be a players coach. IDK if young players we got are ready for a leader like that but working under Pop has to garner some credibility and respect.

I absolutely love Doug, but he's not ready to be a Head Coach of our team. At this stage, we need to make a push to add one strong player during the summer and to finally earn a Playoff sport. Rookie Coach won't get us there, no matter who he is and how much we love him.

I actually didn't see this coming and thought Joerger would stay, but since he's out, we need a proven figure who's going to get us where we belong.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Doug's interests lie behind the microphone. I'm sure if he had wanted to pursue coaching, he'd already be on the staff.

I think Doug's interests lie behind the microphone. I'm sure if he had wanted to pursue coaching, he'd already be on the staff.
On air the other day a few callers brought it up and he said he’d absolutely sit down with Vlade and be open to it. It’s def risky with a guy having no coaching experience, but he seems to have that coaching personality/IQ and he’d be one guy I think I’d roll the dice on.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On air the other day a few callers brought it up and he said he’d absolutely sit down with Vlade and be open to it. It’s def risky with a guy having no coaching experience, but he seems to have that coaching personality/IQ and he’d be one guy I think I’d roll the dice on.
Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see Doug as part of the staff; I think his knowledge of defense alone puts him head and shoulders above a lot of other potential candidates. I just didn't want to get my hopes up!

Thanks for sharing. I'd love to see Doug as part of the staff; I think his knowledge of defense alone puts him head and shoulders above a lot of other potential candidates. I just didn't want to get my hopes up!
Yup and the guys respect and like him. He relates well to them but at the same time doesn’t sugarcoat anything. When i listen to him talk during games, I think to myself this is what I want my head coach preaching to guys. Now whether he’s good with the X and Os is another thing, but he’s certainly got the BBIQ.

Yup and the guys respect and like him. He relates well to them but at the same time doesn’t sugarcoat anything. When i listen to him talk during games, I think to myself this is what I want my head coach preaching to guys. Now whether he’s good with the X and Os is another thing, but he’s certainly got the BBIQ.
This is my thought. And for the X's and O's there are a plethora of knowledgeable assistants that can be hired for that roll.

Guys like Jason Kidd fail because they are egotistical assholes. Doug does not suffer from that syndrom. He garners reapect, has the credibility of being a former player with long career and a guy who knows about the trenches. He is a gifted communicator and smart guy. He will learn the xs and os fast. His enthusiasm and energy would be contagious. Also he knows he needs to hit the treadmill and get to work and not assume he knows it all. Id be all for a DC head coach paired with a vet xs and os guy that lacks the personality to be the head coach

Last edited:
Of all the names floated, Nobody will care as much about the long term success of Sacramento as Doug. There will always be another agenda just beneath the surface with all these other names floated out there. DC is the right choice imo