Did A Third Team Try To Sabotage Peja For Artest Deal?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38876/20060129/did_a_third_team_try_to_sabotage_peja_for_artest_deal/

Philadelphia Inquirer -
Did a competing team try to sabotage the Pacers' Ron Artest deal with the Kings for Peja Stojakovic?

The Pacers can't prove it, but they have a sense - and sources maintain they may be onto something - that one of the teams that was trying hardest to pry Artest from Indiana tried to convince the Kings that Artest wouldn't be happy in Sacramento. But the Kings went ahead with the deal after talking to Artest on Wednesday.

"I felt it, but I didn't know it," Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said. [READ]

Golden State was offering to get Ron Artest half-hour later after the deal fell apart. At least that's what Voison East aka Peter Vescey wrote in his column yesterday.

yeah, either the Warriors or Kobes...I'm leaning more toward the Warriors because LA had a chance to get Artest for Lamar Odom but refused because he is "untouchable." (I mean geez, Artest is twice the player Odom is...he is a better scorer, way better defender, better shooter, just not as good of a rebounder or passer)

But, I doubt the W's had anyone the Pacers wanted. I mean Mike Suckleavy? Maybe him + Pietrus + draft picks might have gotten Arest but thats it...

T

thesanityannex

tradepeja said:
yeah, either the Warriors or Kobes...I'm leaning more toward the Warriors because LA had a chance to get Artest for Lamar Odom but refused because he is "untouchable." (I mean geez, Artest is twice the player Odom is...he is a better scorer, way better defender, better shooter, just not as good of a rebounder or passer)
Don't know if its true or not, but I've read that Indiana supposedly didn't want to take on Odom's contract.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/01/30/truth.rumors.nba/index.html

The Pacers believe one of the Los Angeles teams was trying to derail the trade to get the price down so it could make a deal. It's why Ron Artest's agent supposedly told the Kings that Artest didn't want to go there. -- Chicago Tribune

Also, there is this little nugget:

Trading Kevin Garnett to a team with a chance to make a strong playoff run seems more likely now as the Timberwolves grow desperate. Insiders say Garnett rarely speaks with general manager Kevin McHale anymore. -- Chicago Tribune

Hey - Artest guaranteed we'd be in. Has anyone told KG this yet? :D

Warhawk said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/01/30/truth.rumors.nba/index.html

The Pacers believe one of the Los Angeles teams was trying to derail the trade to get the price down so it could make a deal. It's why Ron Artest's agent supposedly told the Kings that Artest didn't want to go there. -- Chicago Tribune

Also, there is this little nugget:

Trading Kevin Garnett to a team with a chance to make a strong playoff run seems more likely now as the Timberwolves grow desperate. Insiders say Garnett rarely speaks with general manager Kevin McHale anymore. -- Chicago Tribune

Hey - Artest guaranteed we'd be in. Has anyone told KG this yet? :D
Garnett for Artest would have been a GREAT trade for the pacers, but trading big for smaller wouldn't be a good idea. It would leave a huge void at PF. Also a trade Kevin Mchale most likely wouldn't make.

DocHolliday said:
Garnett for Artest would have been a GREAT trade for the pacers, but trading big for smaller wouldn't be a good idea. It would leave a huge void at PF. Also a trade Kevin Mchale most likely wouldn't make.
You read that wrong. The KG article and the Artest article had nothing to do with eachother. Plus, theres no way KG would be traded alone for Artests even if the salaries weren't off $10 million.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
love_them_kings said:
hmm.. does anyone have his email address?

& can I suggest KT, Corliss & Skinner for KG?? :)
KT, Corliss, Skinner, Miller, Garcia, Martin (with regret), Hart, Price, Sampson AND SAR... or any combination of the above they would like. Seriously.

Actually, KT, Corliss, and Skinner would give the TWolves some good versatility/flexability/trading pieces moving forward, and at the same time Minny could lose KG's huge contract. And it's not like these guys are scrubs, they're veterans who can come in and contribute right away.

So I've been told.
~~

Probably Jim Rome.

A few days before he is all lit up like a Christmas tree with the thought Artest may go to the Lakers. Then he hears about the trade to Sac and he is acting like Artest is a horrible man going to a worse city.

Sacto=Slappo said:
That amount of $$$ doesn't come close to equaling his production!
And he's started every game since Reef went down. Shed that one quick. There's still time!!
Well look at Corliss' contract as well. We get even less production from him and yet he makes only $100,000 less than KT. Ugly ugly contracts.

Alacron said:
Actually, KT, Corliss, and Skinner would give the TWolves some good versatility/flexability/trading pieces moving forward, and at the same time Minny could lose KG's huge contract. And it's not like these guys are scrubs, they're veterans who can come in and contribute right away.

So I've been told.
~~
Sarcasm aside, it's bad enough we fell for that. Don't expect anyone else to fall for that a second time. Ah Webber how we miss thee. Imagine a team with Webb, Artest, Bonzi, and Bibby. Now them are some ballers.

T

thesanityannex

Alacron said:
Actually, KT, Corliss, and Skinner would give the TWolves some good versatility/flexability/trading pieces moving forward, and at the same time Minny could lose KG's huge contract.
LOL. Trading pieces??? Thats what Philly told us too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
thesanityannex said:
LOL. Trading pieces??? Thats what Philly told us too.
If you substitute "Kings" for "TWolves," "Sacramento" for "Minny" and C-Webb's huge contract" for "KG's huge contract" you have exactly what was said about the Webber trade. That's why Alacron said it. Ah, the subtleties of sardonic wit.

;)