Detroit was TIRED!? What about the Kings...

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The excuses are already flowing. Detroit may have been tired out there, but what about the Kings! Just a day and a half ago the Kings were all the way across the friggin' country!!! Give me a break.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
You honestly don't expect some people to cop to the fact that the Kings just fat out played the champs for 4 full quarters do you?

Last edited:
They've been using this excuse like crazy this year for most of the top teams. I guess even the analysts go through fads and trends. But if you keep a lookout for it, whenever a good team is at the end of a road trip they'll make tons of excuses for them, as if the only possible way they could lose is because they're just too tired to try.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The Kings had to have been more tired than the Pistons. JETLAG ANYONE!!! They just didn't play like they were tired. Thats why I think this win is the biggest in a long time!

HndsmCelt said:
You honestly don't expect some people to cop to the fact tahtt the Kings just falt out played the champs for 4 full quarters do you?
I don't find anything about that surprising ... It's a little surprising that we did it without our 2 starters and 6th man, but the rest of the crew is that good.

excuses everywhere... i mean on the GM Board the guy made a thread about the game, calling us sactown queens and how they will blow us out.... as the game went on the excuses kept rolling out... it was quite pathetic...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Look guys -- I watched that game, and there is simply no doubt that Detroit WAS tired. We certainly should have been as well, but I think the return to the home crowd + debuts of the new guys gave us a huge shot of energy. But this wasn't an "a" game for the Pistons. Or even a "B" game. I'll take the victory any day of the week, but I'm not drawing too many conclusions from it.

Lets be reasonable here boys and girls...Detroit was at end of their 6 game road trip...and it was extremely apparent that they were tired...they had 3 big games in a row...

just a day ago we ended our 6 game road trip we were tired in that last game we played...just ready to go home...got blown out...c'mon give Detroit a break...they were in the same boat we were in just a few days ago...we all loved the excuse that our guys were tired (cuz it was in fact true) and the same goes for the Pistons this afternoon

F

Fillmoe

they might have been tired but we were missing 2 main guys in our offense! so i dont take any excuses :p

I can use the excuse that Brad, Bobby and Cat was out... :D

There's no excuse in the NBA ... :D

No one sympathize when the Kings lost vs Heats at the end of the roadtrip. So why should we do this for Pistons?? We're even in a worst sanerio than them cause we got guys who's new to the team and injuried.

I'm just glad the Kings got a win. :) Don't matter to me if Pistons are are tired or not.

Why would anyone choose to make excuses for the reigning World Champions when the Kings just finished a six-game road trip and played them with a pick-up squad of new trade-players?

The Kings beat the Detroit Pistons by 15 points. End of story.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Look guys -- I watched that game, and there is simply no doubt that Detroit WAS tired. We certainly should have been as well, but I think the return to the home crowd + debuts of the new guys gave us a huge shot of energy. But this wasn't an "a" game for the Pistons. Or even a "B" game. I'll take the victory any day of the week, but I'm not drawing too many conclusions from it.
See "Balloon Theroy"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
iheartBrad said:
they were in the same boat we were in just a few days ago...we all loved the excuse that our guys were tired (cuz it was in fact true) and the same goes for the Pistons this afternoon
Not exactly the same boat. ;)

Unless Detroit traded Ben Wallace when I wasn't looking.

so detroit was tired.

so were the kings. and they were missing 2 starters and their 6th man. and they were integrating 3 new players into our complex offense.

no excuses, the kings flat out kicked their butts for 48 minutes.

Bricklayer

Evenstar said:
so detroit was tired.

so were the kings. and they were missing 2 starters and their 6th man. and they were integrating 3 new players into our complex offense.

no excuses, the kings flat out kicked their butts for 48 minutes.
Its not the question of it being an excuse going into the game, or coming out of it. Just a question of having watched the game and SEEN the tiredness from Detroit. This was not the same Pistons team you normally see out there, and they just looked shot. On the other hand we were on the tips of our toes. Adenaline I suspect. In any case, its neither hear nor there and we did in fact beat them fair and square for 48min. But just being realistic, we beat a tired looking team.

One Thing For Sure ...

and VF21 can attest to this (show me my motto) .... THERE ARE NO EXCUSES

I don't put ANY value in excuses ...

We've been dealing with "an incomplete squad" ... FOR HOW LONG ???

We don't know any different.

I expect the King's to go out there and either:

DISH-IT-OUT or TAKE THEIR MEDICINE

I believe most of us King's fans feel this way. As a King's fan .... we rely on our bench 200% (slightly exagerated) .... but, my point is:

We can't use the excuse of being tired cause of a back-to-back
We can't use the excuse of February being spent ON THE ROAD
We can't use the excuse "we're missing 3-starters"

This list can go on-n-on ....

The King's recognize the VALUE of each game "win or lose".
We don't hear them coming up with excuses and I feel the same way.

It's easy to rationalize reasons for losing ....

I believe it's the fans that come-up with the excuses .... not the team.

Bricklayer said:
Its not the question of it being an excuse going into the game, or coming out of it. Just a question of having watched the game and SEEN the tiredness from Detroit. This was not the same Pistons team you normally see out there, and they just looked shot. On the other hand we were on the tips of our toes. Adenaline I suspect. In any case, its neither hear nor there and we did in fact beat them fair and square for 48min. But just being realistic, we beat a tired looking team.
this isn't meant as a personal criticism, but in reading things around here at random intervals for the past year or so, you really don't seem to approve much of anything not involving webber. i recall agreeing previously with almost everything you said on any number of topics, but that's not really relevant.

detroit didn't look tired until the last 6 minutes or so, which is about the time sac started draining jumpers and the lead went back to 10+ again, had the crowd going, etc. throughout the game, we had double-digit leads in the middles of the quarters, and detroit would get within 5-10 in the last few minutes. tired teams burn out at the ends of quarters and halves, lazy teams play tired until the ends of quarters and halves, blah blahblah.

the announcers hit it the first time in observing that the kings are now regarded as a rag-tag squad, plus lacking three main scorers, no superstar, facing the champs, peja's still rusty, peja still can't hit layups, and so on and so forth. sorry; we're a ragtag squad, and detroit are the champs. sure they're tired, but what was their excuse when they lost to phoenix? and dallas? i think it was dallas, anyway they lost twice before us, so they should have had plenty of motivation not to lose.

for example, a three-game losing streak.

Bricklayer

badnews said:
this isn't meant as a personal criticism, but in reading things around here at random intervals for the past year or so, you really don't seem to approve much of anything not involving webber. i recall agreeing previously with almost everything you said on any number of topics, but that's not really relevant.

detroit didn't look tired until the last 6 minutes or so, which is about the time sac started draining jumpers and the lead went back to 10+ again, had the crowd going, etc. throughout the game, we had double-digit leads in the middles of the quarters, and detroit would get within 5-10 in the last few minutes. tired teams burn out at the ends of quarters and halves, lazy teams play tired until the ends of quarters and halves, blah blahblah.

the announcers hit it the first time in observing that the kings are now regarded as a rag-tag squad, plus lacking three main scorers, no superstar, facing the champs, peja's still rusty, peja still can't hit layups, and so on and so forth. sorry; we're a ragtag squad, and detroit are the champs. sure they're tired, but what was their excuse when they lost to phoenix? and dallas? i think it was dallas, anyway they lost twice before us, so they should have had plenty of motivation not to lose.

for example, a three-game losing streak.
I'm not going to bother to respond to the impressions garnered at random intervals stuff from a 2 post poster, but Detroit looked flat from the opening tip. Mustered a little energy in the middle of the game, but faded off again by the end. I am not the world's biggest Pistons fan, but this was not anything remotely like the active aggressive pressing team you normally face when you meet them.

I have no idea what you think the relevance of the Phx and Seattle losses were for Detroit. I did not see the Seattle game, but they certainly did not look tired in Phx. Just got beat.

Being flat and tired happens, particularly at the end of a long road trip -- we were clearly flat and mentally/physically shot in Miami, and Miami was flat as well for 3/4 (maybe due to it being a back to back for them as I recall). In the end the Miami game played out about as you'd expect it to, as the better/deeper home team got a second wind (or a first wind in that sloppy game) and just ran away in the 4th quarter on pure energy. This one was dicier for us, because we weren't the better/deeper team. But we did have tons of energy (home debuts of the new guys were a big boost), and Detroit did not, and so chalk one up for us.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
I'm not going to bother to respond to the impressions garnered at random intervals stuff from a 2 post poster, but Detroit looked flat from the opening tip. Mustered a little energy in the middle of the game, but faded off again by the end. I am not the world's biggest Pistons fan, but this was not anything remotely like the active aggressive pressing team you normally face when you meet them.
i actually had quite a few posts previously. this is a newer account. like i said, i've been reading a lot for quite a while, and like i said, it's not really relevant to this subject specifically. i just wonder why so many fans are reaching for negatives now, when even espn pundits and the like are giving us a break for once.

anyway, the question isn't how detroit played; obviously they did not bring it. the question is, why did they not bring it.

I have no idea what you think the relevance of the Phx and Seattle losses were for Detroit. I did not see the Seattle game, but they certainly did not look tired in Phx. Just got beat.
like i said: if the threat of a three-game losing streak is not enough to overcome being "tired", after a non-game day, coming from seattle (which obviously is right over there), when their division is far from locked up going into the playoffs, then the pistons need to reevaluate themselves in a hurry.

Being flat and tired happens, particularly at the end of a long road trip -- we were clearly flat and mentally/physically shot in Miami, and Miami was flat as well for 3/4 (maybe due to it being a back to back for them as I recall). In the end the Miami game played out about as you'd expect it to, as the better/deeper home team got a second wind (or a first wind in that sloppy game) and just ran away in the 4th quarter on pure energy. This one was dicier for us, because we weren't the better/deeper team. But we did have tons of energy (home debuts of the new guys were a big boost), and Detroit did not, and so chalk one up for us.
mentally/physically is an important phrase. sac had the trade to deal with, plus an increasingly short bench, back-to-backs, one more game than detroit (in the same 10 days), and frankly, greater odds to overcome in miami, as you said.

detroit is considerably deeper. think about it: they still have "darko sightings" over there. darko milicic on the kings roster right now would be getting at least 8 minutes a game. in fact by now, he'd probably already be starting for someone who's on the injured list.

detroit plays more bodies than us in spite of this, and frankly, they're still more active and athletic than us overall. anyway, they're capable of being such, but did not tonight because they sold their opposition short, i believe.

thusly, as someone who curses the kings more than any rabid fan should or probably does, it is my esteemed opinion that today's was a quality win, given the odds of overcoming a generally disciplined team without three of our most important players.

Bricklayer

Detroit is NOT deep. Picking up Arroyo gave them a legit 7th man. Before that they were the most 5-man centric team in the league wiht one ocmpetent player off the bench (McDyess) and then a bunch of old and young junk that couldn't be depended on.

But in any case nobody said it wasn't a quality win -- you take them as they come, and shorthandeed as we were this went as well as we could have hoped. Important win too, as without it we are facing the spectre of things starting to spiral for us, and now we have something to build on to hopefully have a strong homestand.

But none of that changes the fact Detroit looked tired out there, and had good reason to be so (perhaps even more off of two close losses to contenders, and think about us in Miami -- we too were facing a 3 game losing streak and just didn't have it). So its a good win, and something new for the Kings -- an underdog win. But nothing I would bank on when we get the rematch here in a few weeks.

badnews said:
thusly, as someone who curses the kings more than any rabid fan should or probably does, it is my esteemed opinion that today's was a quality win, given the odds of overcoming a generally disciplined team without three of our most important players.
Here, here!

Bill Walton before the game: Detroit will be the one to prevail in this one.

Isn't it funny how on my iTunes shuffle mode the song "Shut Up" by Black Eyed Peas came on ;)

The Freak said:

Isn't it funny how on my iTunes shuffle mode the song "Shut Up" by Black Eyed Peas came on ;)
You forgot the loud-mouthed dope sitting next to Walton. he also "gauranteed" a Pistons' victory. And no post-game commentary! :(

The Freak said:

I'm gonna have to get me one of those iPods...

gat

G-League
PixelPusher said:
I'm gonna have to get me one of those iPods...
What's an iPod?

jk

no matter how tired each team was, it was a great win and a great game. let me repeat that: it was a great win!

Our zone just killed the pistons, that and evan's beautiful rotations just gave them fits. oh and who could forget Darius..BAAAABEEE!!!

quick dog said:
You forgot the loud-mouthed dope sitting next to Walton. he also "gauranteed" a Pistons' victory. And no post-game commentary! :(
man I was waiting for the post-commentary, I wanted to hear how those 2 were gonna weasel out of their predictions. i luv this game.

Bricklayer said:
Picking up Arroyo gave them a legit 7th man.
hehe.. u mean after billups he's all they got.

yeah..i was waiting for the postgame commentaries...why is that there were none?

but yesterday's game was a great win! period! Detroit had all five starters..same starters that beat the Lakers to win the championship. Being tired is not an excuse..they made strong runs and Kings were able to withstand it and win. Detroit was down only by 4 and Darius hit the big shot followed by Evans and House...Kings stood to the challenge and never gave up...i was so ecstatic to see the Kings win again! in double figures!! and when was the last time we had that kind of win? can 't wait to have BMiller back in the rotation.

This win does nothing more than giving the Kings some confidence not just into practice, but it also could make this chemistry better than it is now. Webber for 3 role players--??? Philly is still an below-average team with Webber too!!!

Motorcity, both teams are readjusting to the trade, I think both teams and players will be better off. Maybe not the Kings, this year in the playoffs, but maybe in the long run. You can't really evaluate the trade all together right now. Webber has been playing better for Philly as of late as well as the role players we have playing well for us lately, both teams need more of all of the players involved in the trade. Maybe Philly will waive Barnes so we can get him back, ala Payton and Dale Davis and others. He's played 1 minute combined with Bradley so far, they don't need players at his position.