Define successfull 2015-16 season

Playoffs is a must we are competing for the 8th seed with Utah and New Orleans. I guess Dallas but that's all hype. We have a better starting and bench than all 3 teams and we have a coach who is better or on par with all 3.

K

KingMilz

Playoffs is a must we are competing for the 8th seed with Utah and New Orleans. I guess Dallas but that's all hype. We have a better starting and bench than all 3 teams and we have a coach who is better or on par with all 3.
Suns as well, as for we have better this and that we don't really actually know because we have never seen this group of players play together. The game is sadly not played on paper for us this upcoming season. Cause on paper we look damn solid.

We pretty much know what we will have going into the new season.
Barring Cousins missing significant number of games, what would constitute successful season for you?

I will be happy if Bulls get Kings top ten protected first round pick next year (with all implications).

I would be ecstatic if Kings make playoff.

for me, It's Playoffs or Bust. I don't care what the national media says. we have the talent, esp if Rondo works out.

I do not predict playoffs this season, nor do I expect playoffs this season. I do, however, expect, to contend for the final playoff spot for most of the regular season, only to see a late collapse that will completely take us out of the playoff picture somewhere around the 65th game of the regular season. Do we have playoff ready talent? Sure. But, especially in the Western Conference, I think we will still need to give the team another full season to completely gel and hit that gas pedal hard. Will we compete for that 8th seed? Heck Yeah. Will we grab that 8th seed? Nah.

My challenge, therefore, for the 2015-2016 Sacramento Kings is to, simply, prove me wrong.

I do not predict playoffs this season, nor do I expect playoffs this season. I do, however, expect, to contend for the final playoff spot for most of the regular season, only to see a late collapse that will completely take us out of the playoff picture somewhere around the 65th game of the regular season. Do we have playoff ready talent? Sure. But, especially in the Western Conference, I think we will still need to give the team another full season to completely gel and hit that gas pedal hard. Will we compete for that 8th seed? Heck Yeah. Will we grab that 8th seed? Nah.

My challenge, therefore, for the 2015-2016 Sacramento Kings is to, simply, prove me wrong.
I disagree wholeheartedly. If we are collapsing it will be before January 1st if we are in the 9th spot by the 65th game that means Rondo wasn't a failure and things are going well. We have the depth that if things are going well guys won't tire out by march. No doubt in my mind if we are fighting for the 8th seed in March we will see a different type of Cousins. Smelling the playoffs will take his game to the next level.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I disagree wholeheartedly. If we are collapsing it will be before January 1st if we are in the 9th spot by the 65th game that means Rondo wasn't a failure and things are going well. We have the depth that if things are going well guys won't tire out by march. No doubt in my mind if we are fighting for the 8th seed in March we will see a different type of Cousins. Smelling the playoffs will take his game to the next level.
The key for success moving forward will health and the bench IMO...we know what we have in the starters, there will be two new starters but if the bench brings it on most nights to give Rudy, Cousins some rest...they will be that much better off going into March and April.

Wizz, lac, spurs, hou and mem are lock in. They have depth to survive injury bug.
Durant has to prove he is his old self before okc are lock in.

That leaves 7-8 spot in play for older weaker Dallas, not-improved injury prone pelicans, mystery phoenix, very very young Utah team, shell of portland and us.
Baring collapse, i would only put pelicans ahead of us.

Lal, wolves and nuggets are not quite in the contest.

Wizz, lac, spurs, hou and mem are lock in. They have depth to survive injury bug.
Durant has to prove he is his old self before okc are lock in.

That leaves 7-8 spot in play for older weaker Dallas, not-improved injury prone pelicans, mystery phoenix, very very young Utah team, shell of portland and us.
Baring collapse, i would only put pelicans ahead of us.

Lal, wolves and nuggets are not quite in the contest.
I see 7 locks (not in that order):

1. GSW
2. Houston
3. Clippers
4. SAS
5. OKC- they won 45 games (tied with 8th seed for wins) in a season without Durant and with Westbrook out for some time, they are a lock.
6. Memphis
7. New-Orleans- 45 wins last year with a lot of injuries, upgraded greatly at coach.

The field after that is a little weird... on paper we should be in the running for the 8th seed but if I had to bet I'll take the Jazz at 8th.

But there are a lot of teams that can make some noise if things go well (and I'll put us at the top of that group):

The Mavs lost both Chandler and Ellis, but Zaza is an OK center and if Matthews and D-Will rebound their career this team can be very good under Carlisle.

The Suns seems to be bound for another season in the 40 wins zone and can maybe reach higher if they resolve the Morris situation and Knight proves worthy of the trade.

And even the last 4 bad teams looks competent:

The Nuggets have some nice pieces and if Gallinari can regain is old form they have a nice group of players (Nurkic, Faried, Hickson, Chandler, Barton, Nelson and Mudiay) that with the help of the altitude and a coach named Malone can get a good amount of wins.

Portland got an all-star PG and some decent vets around him (Henderson, Aminu, Davis and Kaman) and some intriguing young talent (McCollum, Harkless, Vonleh, Leonard and Plumlee).

The Timberwolves are a sleeper imo... they got some proven players there in Rubio, Miller, K-Mart, KG and Pekovic to go with an amazing amount of young talent in Wiggins, KAT, Dieng, Muhammad, LaVine, Tyus Jones, Bennett and Payne and to euro prospects in Rudez and Bjelica (reigning Euroleague MVP). with a coach (who is also the GM) that is known for wanting to win even at the expense of the future- they can win some games!

And even the Lakers looks like they won't be complete bottom dwellers- call me crazy but a starting five of Clarkson-Kobe-Swaggy-Bass-Hibbert with Lou-Will (sixth man of the year) as the 6th man and Russell/Randle from the bench intrigues me.

Those last 4 teams will almost certainly won't be in the playoff run... but they aren't bad, the west is going to be super tough this year.

We should be in the running for more than the 8th seed. If this team is as good on the floor as it is on paper I wouldn't be surprised if we were competing for a 5/6/7/8 spot. I have a feeling that the 5th and 8th spots might be decided by a couple games.

We should be in the running for more than the 8th seed. If this team is as good on the floor as it is on paper I wouldn't be surprised if we were competing for a 5/6/7/8 spot. I have a feeling that the 5th and 8th spots might be decided by a couple games.
Interesting. I feel completely differently. I see a clear tier with Golden state, San Antonio, the clippers, Houston on top, with a healthy Thunder included. Then Memphis slightly below (age). Then likely the Pelicans. And then a scrum of Utah, Dallas, Phoenix and Sacramento (in no particular order) battling for 8. On paper, and assuming full health, I see a big drop off between the 5th team and that scrum.

New Orleans isn't a lock
Yeah, they're tricky for me. On one hand, they won 45 games last year well below full health, and Davis will be a year older and better. On the other, they just don't seem that great to me. Or, at least, I'm convinced the Kings are/should be better. Who knows, maybe the injuries actually helped them last season sort out what should be the odd fitting combo of Holiday, Gordon, and Evans.

That's why I have them on another tier below Memphis, but if you insist on including them in the "scrum" for 7-8, I won't argue. I just think that Memphis and the others are better, which is why I responded to Gary re 5-8.

Race to the 7th or 8th seed, 45 to 50 wins, and a ruining fighting team to be proud and fun to watch.
Be better than the Jazz and give a good fight to OKC, NOP, and Memphis .

Big improvement at defense and assists, with a bonus better 3pt shooting.
Get a better Ben, and involve as fast as possible WCS.

I'm expecting to at least be fighting for the 8 seed in April. As I speak imo there is no reason we can't make the playoffs.

Reasons

1. Media seem to forget how good Demarcus Cousins is. He is the best player on the floor on most nights. To me only Lebron, Curry, healthy Durant and maybe Paul are clearly a little above Cousins. He is in the next category with Davis,Harden, Westbrook, Griffin.

2. We have a hall of fame coach with an upgraded bench with smarter, more professional players who have won in the league. Karl will have a full training camp.

3. Young guns. Despite signing vets we still have 2 young players that could both breakout this season in their own ways. Ben with Nik out of the picture, apparently working his tail off this summer, with more vets around him to teach him the way could have his biggest jump yet under Karl. I'm expecting more consitency on defense and his shooting percentages to jump again. 45, 40, 90 should be what he is striving for.
Willie has shown me enough to say we should expect some solid contributions from day one. Whether it's off the bench or starting I expect him to be an X factor defensively and create havoc with his freakish speed. Even if it's just 15 minutes per game, he should have his fingerprints all over the game in those minutes.