Defensive apathy aplenty

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12500925p-13356440c.html

Defensive apathy aplenty

After yielding 67 first-half points, the Kings fall short at the end

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Thursday, March 3, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. - As befit a matchup of the NBA's most defensively allergic squads, a wide-open, potentially game-tying three-point attempt was in the air just before the game-ending buzzer sounded.

It left the hands of Kings forward Peja Stojakovic on the left sideline in front of the Orlando Magic bench.

However, the shot was long, bounding off the back rim.

In reality, justice was served as the Magic ended its three-game losing streak with a 114-111 victory at the TD Waterhouse Centre on Wednesday night.

The Kings should have been embarrassed by allowing a season-high 67 points in the first half.

No wonder a stack of first-half statistics sheets sat alone on a table in the visitors' locker room. Since the Kings barely touched anyone, hardly made a determined effort to get back on defense or sacrifice their bodies or oxygen in hopes of preventing a basket, who needed a stat sheet?

There were plots aplenty in this one, with Orlando's Hedo Turkoglu and Doug Christie having played for the Kings and Sacramento's Cuttino Mobley having played with the Magic - and for five seasons before that with shooting guard Steve Francis as members of the Houston Rockets.

Those were subplots which underscored the story line: an absence of defense from either squad. Not that it was a surprise, with Sacramento ranking 26th in points allowed and Orlando 27th.

Kings coach Rick Adelman minced no words describing the ugliness that resulted in his team trailing by nine at halftime.

"In the first half, we were very poor defensively ... transition defense, getting (beaten) off the dribble," Adelman said. "The only way we're going to get better is if we defend better, especially on the perimeter. Our defense there was very poor."

The perimeter defense mostly was manned by point guard Mike Bibby, shooting guard Mobley and Stojakovic, who returned after missing seven games with the flu and a strained hamstring to score a team-high 28 points.

Bibby, Mobley and Stojakovic were pretty slovenly in the first half as it pertained to staying in front of their men.

But the big men were not much better, if any. Only infrequently did they slide over quickly enough to help stop penetration before it totally destroyed what represented Sacramento's defensive approach.

"I don't think you're going to get better at it unless individuals take it upon themselves to put more effort into it," Adelman said without mentioning names. "I saw a lot more effort going on at the offensive end than the defensive end. We were quicker on offense and attacking. On the other end, we weren't.

"If we're going to get better as a team in the last 20-plus (games), that's where it's going to have to be."

Mobley pointed to the team's unfamiliarity with each other and lack of communication, both valid points.

Unfortunately, those factors have nothing to do with getting back on defense as if some type of 2005 plague awaited at the other end. Too many times, after made field goals, the Kings watched the Magic beat them to the other end for easier-than-easy shots.

That's partly why all five Magic starters scored in double figures, led by Francis' 29. Grant Hill and rookie Dwight Howard had 20, with rookie point guard Jameer Nelson scoring a season-high 19. "We've got to take more pride in it," forward Corliss Williamson said about the Kings' defense. "We defended a lot better in the second half after coach challenged us, so that will tell you it's about effort."

Attachments

Our offense is fine but I think a little practice time will help our defense considerably considering the new guys we have. Kings will probably be able to get in 3 days of practice next week so I think this will improve.

Bibby and Mobley are the key!

Unless you have Shaq backing you up you can't let guys penetrate time after time. Same old story. I'm not encouraged that either Bibby or Mobley will suddenly find themselves defensively.

G_M said:
Bibby and Mobley are the key!

Unless you have Shaq backing you up you can't let guys penetrate time after time. Same old story. I'm not encouraged that either Bibby or Mobley will suddenly find themselves defensively.
Totally agree. Teams are just sending the ballhandler straight down the middle and then the big guys have to rotate over to help and this leads to easy buckets....how many times did Orlando do that last night???

This is where a player Like GP would come in here and show these guards how to play D, and if they don't he would scream at them on the floor.

piksi

Hall of Famer
gman23 said:
This is where a player Like GP would come in here and show these guards how to play D, and if they don't he would scream at them on the floor.
You can put a gun to Bibby's head and he is still not going to defend because he does not know how. And Payton will not get his minutes so why waste money.

According to my friend a loyal Celtics fan, Payton is too slow now. Defensively he isn't nearly what he used to be, although he wants Payton back for offensive purposes.

"In the first half, we were very poor defensively ... transition defense, getting (beaten) off the dribble," Adelman said. "The only way we're going to get better is if we defend better, especially on the perimeter. Our defense there was very poor." - Rick Adelman

The perimeter defense is horrible. How many times can someone, not just Stevie Francis get in the paint and either score or dish off for an assist? This has got to get better and I really think that in the offseason Cat may be replaced by a 2 guard that can defend much better because Bibby isn't going anywhere and he isn't going to become a good on ball defender any time soon.

Diabeticwonder said:
"In the first half, we were very poor defensively ... transition defense, getting (beaten) off the dribble," Adelman said. "The only way we're going to get better is if we defend better, especially on the perimeter. Our defense there was very poor." - Rick Adelman

The perimeter defense is horrible. How many times can someone, not just Stevie Francis get in the paint and either score or dish off for an assist? This has got to get better and I really think that in the offseason Cat may be replaced by a 2 guard that can defend much better because Bibby isn't going anywhere and he isn't going to become a good on ball defender any time soon.
I agree, perimeter defense needs to stiffen up. Our guys inside can only do so much to help until that gaurd dishes off for an easy dunk and more easy points. But at the same time, transition defense needs to get better as well. last night orlando outscored us on fast break points 27-18, stepping up in one of these areas will help us hold opponents below 100 and give us a chance for our lethal offense to succeed, not stepping up in either, will make it difficult like its been.

Although all five players have to do a better job at transition defense, it is especially true of the guards since they are most likely the ones closest to the other end of the court and would be the first ones back.

There is just so little effort on the defensive side of the ball that it's a joke.

The save your energy for offense type attitude needs to stop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In all fairness, I think we really need to wait until they've had a chance to step into the Arco practice facility at least once or twice and see what happens then.

This has been an absolutely unbelievably road trip. Webber traded just before they go into Dallas. Three new guys who are going to get off the plane tomorrow night in Sacramento and head for hotels because they don't even have homes in their new city yet, Peja back for the first time with guys he's never played with before, etc.

I don't see our defense becoming stellar all of a sudden, but I think there will be improvement once they actually get a chance to work out a few things. It's a lot easier to throw together some kind of offense IMHO than it is to learn what to expect from your teammate in the trenches.

Just my three cents, of course, but I think we're being just a little premature in some of the assessments.

Yep. Brick described the situation as CHAOS, and that's pretty accurate.
Don't forget about Songaila's and Miller's injuries ...

i had to laugh with Grant Hill though...cuz like everytime he got called for a foul on Peja (especially late) he would go right back down the floor ask for the ball and shoot it right over top Peja

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
sloter said:
Yep. Brick described the situation as CHAOS, and that's pretty accurate.
Don't forget about Songaila's and Miller's injuries ...
I didn't want to keep listing MORE reasons because it would have been too depressing. ;)

CHAOS - the perfect word. I must have missed it when I was trying to catch up on all the threads.

Thanks, sloter.

:)

VF21 said:
In all fairness, I think we really need to wait until they've had a chance to step into the Arco practice facility at least once or twice and see what happens then.

This has been an absolutely unbelievably road trip. Webber traded just before they go into Dallas. Three new guys who are going to get off the plane tomorrow night in Sacramento and head for hotels because they don't even have homes in their new city yet, Peja back for the first time with guys he's never played with before, etc.

I don't see our defense becoming stellar all of a sudden, but I think there will be improvement once they actually get a chance to work out a few things. It's a lot easier to throw together some kind of offense IMHO than it is to learn what to expect from your teammate in the trenches.

Just my three cents, of course, but I think we're being just a little premature in some of the assessments.

RIGHT ON!!! It takes time. Nothing happens overnight. We picked up 3 pretty good defenders who I think can show our boys a thing or 2. It may help, it may not, but we have to wait and see.