Dedmon Wants Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sexy but think I have a workable trade.

Dedmon + Ariza out to Atlanta

For Parsons (expiring) 2024 second from Warriors.

We save the on the mini guarantee to Ariza next year (James gets some development now) get out of the Dedmon contract. Pick up a second a long time from now.
What’s in it for Atlanta? Dedmon was on their team last year, if they think he was worth what the Kings paid him why wouldn’t they have just paid him. Currently the young non playoff Hawks have at Center

Bruno Fernando
Alex Len
Damian Jones
John Collins (small ball 5)

Why trade for Dedmon? Where does he fit with them? Why play him over the young guys they’re trying to develop. Why tie up cap space next season on Dedmon

This is why overpaying for free agents is a bad idea. Unless its the missing piece needed for a championship, overpaying just increases risk for no gain.
Look at signings like Belly, Yogi and Holmes. If a player isn't willing to sign for market value, find a player who is.
Yeah I agree this crap of you have to overpay so they come to Sacramento gets you results like this where Ariza/Dedmon/Cojo are not worth half of what they are paid and Barnes/Buddy are worth about 1/3 of what they get paid, if guys want to be overpaid go elsewhere and Kings should just sign hunger younger guys until they actually have to pay a guy worth it. How can you overpay 5 guys in one season I mean come on that's bad.

Yeah I agree this crap of you have to overpay so they come to Sacramento gets you results like this where Ariza/Dedmon/Cojo are not worth half of what they are paid and Barnes/Buddy are worth about 1/3 of what they get paid, if guys want to be overpaid go elsewhere and Kings should just sign hunger younger guys until they actually have to pay a guy worth it. How can you overpay 5 guys in one season I mean come on that's bad.
Exactly. If you patiently build through draft and sing only cheap contracts, you maintain your flexibility to use cap to gain additional draft picks and improve the odds to get those players worth extending to expensive contracts. Then when you have your top talent and you are good, then you start to get those role players at decent price.

Dedmon epitomizes some of the odd usage of many of the players on the team. On a team looking to shoot what was it, 35 three point shots a game? They pay a role guy like Dedmon big bucks mainly for that skill and during most of his minutes he's rolling on pick and rolls or playing near the hoop. Then, when he does shoot 3's they are odd, misplaced or on the move rather than a simple spot shot. Dedmon will make another team quite happy and even if he didn't demand a trade it's obvious that moving him at the earliest possibility for almost anything that gets you out of his salary is a win.

Dedmon epitomizes some of the odd usage of many of the players on the team. On a team looking to shoot what was it, 35 three point shots a game? They pay a role guy like Dedmon big bucks mainly for that skill and during most of his minutes he's rolling on pick and rolls or playing near the hoop. Then, when he does shoot 3's they are odd, misplaced or on the move rather than a simple spot shot. Dedmon will make another team quite happy and even if he didn't demand a trade it's obvious that moving him at the earliest possibility for almost anything that gets you out of his salary is a win.
I don't know to me Dedmon had his Quincy Acy 3 point shooting season playing in pressure free games in ATL like Acy did with the Nets than when expectations came the next year he bombed and is playing in Europe/Middle East now. Dedmon makes Bagley look like Steve Nash passing the ball.

I don't know to me Dedmon had his Quincy Acy 3 point shooting season playing in pressure free games in ATL like Acy did with the Nets than when expectations came the next year he bombed and is playing in Europe/Middle East now. Dedmon makes Bagley look like Steve Nash passing the ball.
I can't really think that Dedmon alone is the issue. There is enough history to know he's a decent spread big. We're watching a team full of 3 point shooting, with a few pieces being ELITE in that area, struggle. What's good for the Joerger is good for the Walton. When a whole team is faltering that isn't on the players anymore. It's on the coach. Even if it ended up being the players the odds are just so against that many players simultaneously struggling at what they do well you can't take it there in your search for answers.

We need some athleticism and length on the wing, and certainly a player or two with toughness and poise. I’m hopeful that we can net something positive out of a prospective trade scenario, but I’m not holding my breath either.

I can't really think that Dedmon alone is the issue. There is enough history to know he's a decent spread big. We're watching a team full of 3 point shooting, with a few pieces being ELITE in that area, struggle. What's good for the Joerger is good for the Walton. When a whole team is faltering that isn't on the players anymore. It's on the coach. Even if it ended up being the players the odds are just so against that many players simultaneously struggling at what they do well you can't take it there in your search for answers.
Feels like a locker room issue. Players who run around looking confused on the court, when they haven't in the past, are mostly likely dealing with a perceived lack of consistency and poor communication from the coaches. Either in playing time, treatment or roles.

Feels like a locker room issue. Players who run around looking confused on the court, when they haven't in the past, are mostly likely dealing with a perceived lack of consistency and poor communication from the coaches. Either in playing time, treatment or roles.
I've brought it up before. Watching these players prior to this season we saw a lot of the shooting from outside (and there wasn't nearly enough BTW) come facing the rim, or moving towards it. Which was a result of the faster tempo. There were better looking attempts in transition and more spot shots created via entry into the post or drives. We're seeing way too many of the Kings 3's this season come off of curls or extended pick and roll where the player is moving left or right. It's not a coincidence that you consistently hear Grant talk about shots being too far left or right instead of long. Those are tough shots when you are hot and nearly impossible when you don't load your other guys on the weakside to create space around the screen. Walton is putting players in a position to cut rather than spread. This is tough because in his quest to be a defensive team he's playing players that offensively don't have those strengths to make it work efficiently. Every team is going to let Cory Joseph or Trevor Ariza beat them off the dribble. Likewise they are going to help off them so if they aren't spreading the floor and willing to shoot role players can quickly become the Achilles heel of your offensive scheme.

I've brought it up before. Watching these players prior to this season we saw a lot of the shooting from outside (and there wasn't nearly enough BTW) come facing the rim, or moving towards it. Which was a result of the faster tempo. There were better looking attempts in transition and more spot shots created via entry into the post or drives. We're seeing way too many of the Kings 3's this season come off of curls or extended pick and roll where the player is moving left or right. It's not a coincidence that you consistently hear Grant talk about shots being too far left or right instead of long. Those are tough shots when you are hot and nearly impossible when you don't load your other guys on the weakside to create space around the screen. Walton is putting players in a position to cut rather than spread. This is tough because in his quest to be a defensive team he's playing players that offensively don't have those strengths to make it work efficiently. Every team is going to let Cory Joseph or Trevor Ariza beat them off the dribble. Likewise they are going to help off them so if they aren't spreading the floor and willing to shoot role players can quickly become the Achilles heel of your offensive scheme.
Yeah. Walton is running that weave play with 5 players out. Which gets players moving side to side like you said. An additional problem with it, is that it's designed to get an open 3 pt shot. If you only have one 3pt shooter out there, he's the only threat and the defense is just essentially waiting for him to get the ball before double teaming him. You're actually running him into a double team.

What’s in it for Atlanta? Dedmon was on their team last year, if they think he was worth what the Kings paid him why wouldn’t they have just paid him. Currently the young non playoff Hawks have at Center

Bruno Fernando
Alex Len
Damian Jones
John Collins (small ball 5)

Why trade for Dedmon? Where does he fit with them? Why play him over the young guys they’re trying to develop. Why tie up cap space next season on Dedmon
They lose nothing in Parsons.

The selling point is they said they were trying to get Young some help to compete more this year publicly.

I've been talking to some people league wide fans, not just Kings or Hawks fans, they pretty much agree the Hawks will not send incentive out and the Kings would be the ones to do so.

But if that is the case, we should just eat Dedmon's contract this year.

But maybe we could pull it off without getting a second back. Was hoping taking a corpse back for two serviceable players would get a perk. But guess not. Ariza's 1.8 million + Dedmon's 13.3 next season is enough for them to rather have a corpse if they have to send something to us it looks like. 20-21 Dedmon has a 1 million guarantee too.

Some are undervaluing him. Other teams will look and think it's the teams fault. Same was said about George Hill. Now he's leading the league in 3pt percentage.
George Hill was still at fault for missing all the open shots he missed during his short stint with the KINGS. Dude was awful. Can’t be blamed on the franchise when the opportunity was given. The guy just never played well.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
role player asking for a trade, hilarious. I don't blame him though, when he got his contract I image that he figured he would be playing steady minutes here and I think the emergence of Holmes really didn't make that possible anymore because let's be honest, how many here thought Holmes would be as good as he has been? definitely not I.

role player asking for a trade, hilarious. I don't blame him though, when he got his contract I image that he figured he would be playing steady minutes here and I think the emergence of Holmes really didn't make that possible anymore because let's be honest, how many here thought Holmes would be as good as he has been? definitely not I.
how could you be a below average player and ask for a trade

We need some athleticism and length on the wing, and certainly a player or two with toughness and poise. I’m hopeful that we can net something positive out of a prospective trade scenario, but I’m not holding my breath either.
The answer might also be right under your nose. JJ is 6-7 and super athletic. He also plays well in games. Perhaps it would be wise to not give up anything of value in a trade for a player who fits JJ's description.

The answer might also be right under your nose. JJ is 6-7 and super athletic. He also plays well in games. Perhaps it would be wise to not give up anything of value in a trade for a player who fits JJ's description.
JJ looks 6'3/6;4 max there is no chance he's a SF he's tiny for a wing despite him great athletic ability. He looks a combo guard to me like I said before a bigger Ray Mcallum.

Haven't seen enough of JJ to make any judgement. Considering the team is in the bell jar now maybe he could get 25 mins a game to see if he's actually worth a damn.

JJ looks 6'3/6;4 max there is no chance he's a SF he's tiny for a wing despite him great athletic ability. He looks a combo guard to me like I said before a bigger Ray Mcallum.
He looks like all of the 6'7 that he is listed as to me. Mind you, it's the same standard used to determine his height that every other player is subject to. Not exactly controversial.

My statement was not in any way a suggestion for the Kings to “trade away” what could be critical pieces for the future. JJ is certainly showing promise, but he is still developing and his value as a key contributor and/or asset is uncertain at this point. In terms of athletic ability, James does have “good hops” but I believe that his lateral quickness is just average for an NBA-caliber player. Any potential trade scenario will need to factor in the short and/or long-term vision for the team and value in return. In my opinion, there is only a handful of “untouchables” on the current Kings roster and JJ isn’t one of them.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Why does that make you angry?
So he gets 3 years 40 million, plays far far below his standards, gets benched while being out played by his teammates then goes to the media to ask to be traded when his teammates nor his coach didnt know according to the article. Some "veteran leadership" my ass. All this in what? Less than two months into the season? Oh and then he throws his teammates who are struggling with their shots under the bus. He could've easily just privately handled this situation.

“I would like to be traded,” Dedmon told The Bee, speaking publicly about his trade request for the first time. “I haven’t been playing, so I would like to go somewhere where my talents are appreciated.”

Dedmon rejected the idea that he has played his way out of Walton’s rotation, saying he isn’t the only slumping shooter on the team. Hield and Barnes have also experienced prolonged shooting slumps.

“I’m not the only person struggling with my shot, so if that’s a factor then it’s kind of crazy,” Dedmon said. “If you’re not allowed to shoot through your slumps, I don’t know how you’re supposed to make shots.”

Status
Not open for further replies.