De'Aaron "Mr. Lightning" Fox

Is De'Aaron an all-star?

• Yes

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • F*** yes

Votes: 36 85.7%

• Total voters
Truly amazing player with superstar charisma. Kings won the lottery with this guy. (All pun intended)
I just got a vision: the Lakers passing on Fox for their socal local boy with the bizniss connections is the twist of fate that will deliver our vengence on them in the end, and rightly bring home the championship we so deserved in 2002. Hopefully it's by streamrolling them in the playoffs led by Fox.

All orchestrated by Vlade of course, as redemption for that fateful back-tip.

We can’t just say he went through a slump that a whole college season. It’s fine he improved and hopefully he can stay somewhere near it
Ok, well, considering that he didn't have much of an issue shooting the ball before then, what would you refer to it as? I'm asking seriously, not trying to be snarky.

To be fair, he shot .246 from (a shorter) distance in college and .307 as a rookie, so it's not like the pundits weren't on to something. All props to Fox for the work he has put in to become a SIGNIFICANTLY better player this year all around and shooting not the least, but that was in fact a hole in his game.
I really think people here are being victimized by putting too much faith into pitifully small-sample sizes... I tried to warn people about this all summer... these are kids we're talking about.... Those stats don't mean crap compared to the eye test....

The pundits weren't onto something, clearly, they were fooled.. clearly they didn't look deep enough into the crap they were writing/speaking about, Pundits don't actually get paid for accuracy, they get paid to run their mouth.. I'd argue a keen eye could see it quite clearly....

Trey Lyles shot like what 13% from 3 his season at Kentucky? He then goes to workout for the Jazz and nails an absurd amount of corner 3's and they drafted him because of that workout..... Those stats are for the fans, they in no way shape or form are some be-all-end-all for actual NBA talent evaluators, fans see these players as assets that are underperforming or out performing or performing as expected, thats not how it is in reality though, these kids are PROJECTS it's a big balancing act

When you looked at Fox's shot there was never any legitimate reason to believe his shot was broken.. Only people who put way too much stock in %'s thought that. I'm sorry but the dust has settled on this... People hate to hear that their fears were unfounded, there was never any reason to believe Fox couldn't shoot though.. I've read all the articles on him for years now, I never saw a compelling argument that he couldn't shoot, and certainly he always passed the eye test In my opinion.

All the people on my ignore list here are there for talking wild nonsense about Fox. A younger me would go thru and bump these idiots comments and hold their feet to the fire. Couldn't shoot, wasn't a floor general, all the bogus claims that've been made over the years were here on this forum being perpetuated by a select few...

I think this kid has been a great player for years and the Kings were tanking and running a broken offense last year, its not OH WOW he all of a sudden got so much better. I think that take is HILARIOUS and clearly one that someone who's trying to save face, over concerns that were never ever warranted..

I get that people here have seen tons of lotto picks flame out but that expected doom being projected upon fox here was also unwarranted.... I don't get how people get like that tbh, If I lose 100 coinflips in a row I still think I've got a 50/50 shot on the next.

He hit 11 3's in a HS game

It's just crazy to me, I used to read the De'Aaron Fox scouting report back when Scout.com had him listed as a 4-star shooting guard, that was MANY YEARS AGO, and it just seems like to me the criticisms I read here often during the offseason are what that old crapty ridiculous scouting report FROM YEARS AGO is being repeated.

You'd have to be a complete moron of a college coach, to have the fastest quickest player in the Nation, who's a 6'4" PG, and worried about his 3pt%... It's not a hole in his game... even with his increased %'s you will see the same defense being played vs him on the 3pt line because they must respect his 1st step.. There's no other option on how to defend him.

That college % wasn't consistent throughout the year either, he was ice cold to start and warmed up as it went. So I say, why mash the 2 together? Why is his shooting percentage in college 24% a better indicator than his cold streak or his hot streak? because its some ****ing tremendous sample size? gimmie a break. To me clearly the hot streak to close the season was the true indicator ---- and I'd bet De'Aaron, Coach Cal, the Kings exects/scouts would agree with that.. I'd love to hear a counter argument to that now that the dust has settled.

This kid is the franchise savior put some respekt on his name!!!He's been a beast for years... it's not the result of one offseason, that is like marginalizing the years of progress this kid has made. Which seems to happen here quite often (UNWARRANTED)

Last edited:
Ok, well, considering that he didn't have much of an issue shooting the ball before then, what would you refer to it as? I'm asking seriously, not trying to be snarky.
Unless a guy was an elite shooter before college you can’t say 30+ games in college over HS is a slump. You take that seriously considering it’s higher competition only time to go against tia is if the guy was an elite shooter before with perfect form. Example being Bradley Beal, he wasn’t lights out at UF shot 34% on 5 attempts from 3 76% from the line on 4.7 attempts. However he was elite in HS and his form was damn near perfect. Fox obviously was close to elite in HS so it wasn’t a strength than you add 25% shooting on 2 attempts quite frankly that’s pathetic no way around it. His saving grace was that his jumper didn’t look broken it looked smooth and he shot a respectable 74% on 6 attempts from the line.

If Fox shoots anything close to mike Conley from 3 we’re looking at a top 20 15 player

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Unless a guy was an elite shooter before college you can’t say 30+ games in college over HS is a slump. You take that seriously considering it’s higher competition only time to go against tia is if the guy was an elite shooter before with perfect form. Example being Bradley Beal, he wasn’t lights out at UF shot 34% on 5 attempts from 3 76% from the line on 4.7 attempts. However he was elite in HS and his form was damn near perfect. Fox obviously was close to elite in HS so it wasn’t a strength than you add 25% shooting on 2 attempts quite frankly that’s pathetic no way around it. His saving grace was that his jumper didn’t look broken it looked smooth and he shot a respectable 74% on 6 attempts from the line.

If Fox shoots anything close to mike Conley from 3 we’re looking at a top 20 15 player
He’s already shooting better than him this year.

Our team has been kicked around for the last 10 years and a few of our ex players have been some of the worst of them.

It’s almost like fate has stepped in the last two years with the right bounce of the ping pong ball and we moved up in the draft and even with having to swap the first one which may of kept us from picking one of the two point guards which were taken before Fox.

Both of our guys had rookie seasons in college and both have needed to adjust to the NBA game. But hey everyone thought they were coming in at the top tier in the draft.

Be it luck, fate, great scouting or all three let’s just be thankful we are in this era of a actually good team developing.

Go Kings!!

I really think people here are being victimized by putting too much faith into pitifully small-sample sizes... I tried to warn people about this all summer... these are kids we're talking about.... Those stats don't mean crap compared to the eye test....

The pundits weren't onto something, clearly, they were fooled.. clearly they didn't look deep enough into the crap they were writing/speaking about, Pundits don't actually get paid for accuracy, they get paid to run their mouth.. I'd argue a keen eye could see it quite clearly....

Trey Lyles shot like what 13% from 3 his season at Kentucky? He then goes to workout for the Jazz and nails an absurd amount of corner 3's and they drafted him because of that workout..... Those stats are for the fans, they in no way shape or form are some be-all-end-all for actual NBA talent evaluators, fans see these players as assets that are underperforming or out performing or performing as expected, thats not how it is in reality though, these kids are PROJECTS it's a big balancing act

When you looked at Fox's shot there was never any legitimate reason to believe his shot was broken.. Only people who put way too much stock in %'s thought that. I'm sorry but the dust has settled on this... People hate to hear that their fears were unfounded, there was never any reason to believe Fox couldn't shoot though.. I've read all the articles on him for years now, I never saw a compelling argument that he couldn't shoot, and certainly he always passed the eye test In my opinion.

All the people on my ignore list here are there for talking wild nonsense about Fox. A younger me would go thru and bump these idiots comments and hold their feet to the fire. Couldn't shoot, wasn't a floor general, all the bogus claims that've been made over the years were here on this forum being perpetuated by a select few...

I think this kid has been a great player for years and the Kings were tanking and running a broken offense last year, its not OH WOW he all of a sudden got so much better. I think that take is HILARIOUS and clearly one that someone who's trying to save face, over concerns that were never ever warranted..

I get that people here have seen tons of lotto picks flame out but that expected doom being projected upon fox here was also unwarranted.... I don't get how people get like that tbh, If I lose 100 coinflips in a row I still think I've got a 50/50 shot on the next.

It's just crazy to me, I used to read the De'Aaron Fox scouting report back when Scout.com had him listed as a 4-star shooting guard, that was MANY YEARS AGO, and it just seems like to me the criticisms I read here often during the offseason are what that old crapty ridiculous scouting report FROM YEARS AGO is being repeated.

You'd have to be a complete moron of a college coach, to have the fastest quickest player in the Nation, who's a 6'4" PG, and worried about his 3pt%... It's not a hole in his game... even with his increased %'s you will see the same defense being played vs him on the 3pt line because they must respect his 1st step.. There's no other option on how to defend him.

That college % wasn't consistent throughout the year either, he was ice cold to start and warmed up as it went. So I say, why mash the 2 together? Why is his shooting percentage in college 24% a better indicator than his cold streak or his hot streak? because its some ****ing tremendous sample size? gimmie a break. To me clearly the hot streak to close the season was the true indicator ---- and I'd bet De'Aaron, Coach Cal, the Kings exects/scouts would agree with that.. I'd love to hear a counter argument to that now that the dust has settled.

This kid is the franchise savior put some respekt on his name!!!He's been a beast for years... it's not the result of one offseason, that is like marginalizing the years of progress this kid has made. Which seems to happen here quite often (UNWARRANTED)
What was your point again?
Oh yeah, that Fox has always been great (per the eye test) and all those who think he only became great this year are stupid? And statistics are for idiots without the proper eye-testing abilities?
Methinks your posts are sometimes a reflection of a broken machine.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

so then I ask, is Mike Conley a top 20 player this season?

To be fair, he shot .246 from (a shorter) distance in college and .307 as a rookie, so it's not like the pundits weren't on to something. All props to Fox for the work he has put in to become a SIGNIFICANTLY better player this year all around and shooting not the least, but that was in fact a hole in his game.
Seems like I heard a report he shot the 3 well in High School compared to 1 season at KY?

At least for me, the question wasn’t about whether he would be a good to great point guard. The question was what kind of point guard would he become. His assist percentage has been climbing, his assist to turnover percentage is rising and he sounds more like Magic Johnson than Dame Lillard.

He cant shoot said the pundits. Welp.
He's shooting better than guys we drafted whose alleged strength was shooting: Jimmer, Stauskas and Ben. Unlike these busts, Fox creates space through his elite speed and juke moves. I like how he can dribble the ball in his right hand to keep defenders guessing. Defenders have to back off him and he gets clean looks. If they don't back off, bye bye. His mechanics were always solid. The conventional narrative was a lie. Pre-draft you needed to be worried about corkscrew mechanics as possessed by Lonzo Bust and his inability to get defenders to back off him. You needed to be worried about the aloofness of Markelle Fultz. There were no such concerns with Fox. Fox was confident and well-spoken prospect with maturity beyond his years. You got the sense he was not going to cower under the bright lights. This was so apparent. This is why I taken exception to those saying his progress has been astounding from the likes of Zach Lowe and others. He is on the developmental curve surprising only to those who don't know better.

Where D-Fox has surprised me if I would had to say, I am surprised with development defensively. There was a discernible jump in the last few months of last season, where he was hounding more, picking up closer to half court. We have seen continuation of that this year. As awesome as D-Fox is scoring and passing, he can be equally awesome as a defender. You could never say this about Boogie, the previous "franchise guy". It is exciting to think of D-Fox's two way ability. Even before Wall got the reputation as party person who got fat in the summer, he was not thought of as a lockdown defender. It is not out of the realm of possibility that if D-Fox continues his trajectory and the teams fortunes head the same, he can make the All-Star game this year! :p

He could end up being is definitely without a doubt the best player out of that draft. He's unbelievable. The full package.
You may be forgetting Donovan. I am not ready to say he is better than Donovan yet. Right now, I would say they are about equal. Mitchell is a great defense player with ability to absolutely takeover a game. He is unbelievable too. As far as who I would want on my team going forward, I would say Fox. I like having a more conventional PG than an undersized SG (combo guard) who can play PG. De'Aaron is also a year younger.

Fox is legit. Like, franchise player legit.

I watched the Cavs feed of the game, all they did was gush about Fox. He's not a household name yet, but he's really starting to get noticed by the NBA.

When his shot is on he's totally unstoppable. I'm sure Fox will have more off games this year, he's still just a scrawny 20 year old, but nights like this are flashes of what he's going to do on the regular, against everybody, in two seasons or so.
He's not scrawny. Also why is everything postponed to "two seasons or so". As I said above, it is the realm of possibility De'Aaron will be named to the All-Star game this year. The future is now!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Cause he couldn’t but his jumper wasn’t broke, the opposite of the guy drafted at 2. His numbers lied and his jumper was clearly broke
Anyone that watched Ball play knew he was going to struggle once in the NBA, unless he totally revamped his shot, which he hasn't. When watching Fox play I thought the biggest problem with his shot was strength. It was almost always on line, but came up short a lot. That was only going to get worse in the NBA with the longer 3 pt shot, unless he got stronger, which he has. His shot looks far more effortless now.

I think most people know this, but for those that don't, The length of the 3 pt shot in highschool is 19 feet, 9 inches, all the way around the circle. In college the distance is 20 feet, 9 inches all the way around the circle. In the NBA the distance is a maximum of 23 feet, 9 inches from the top of the circle, to 22 feet from the corners. So when you consider that the jump from highschool to the NBA can add as much as 4 feet in distance, it's not unusual for rookie's to struggle at first. Even those that were considered good shooters up to that point.

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
He's not scrawny. Also why is everything postponed to "two seasons or so". As I said above, it is the realm of possibility De'Aaron will be named to the All-Star game this year. The future is now!
Too many big name guards in the West. He'll be an allstar down the line, but not many people outside of Kings fandom know about him yet. Don't forget it's a popularity contest!

If what we believe we have a very good point guard and is going to get a lot better compared to the other two that were drafted #1 and #2. The teams that drafted those two would have no problem trading them off.
Fultz is broke both mentally and physically and I really do not hear the Fakers bragging much about Lonzo lately . If it wasn’t for LeBron they would be like the suns.

What was your point again?
Oh yeah, that Fox has always been great (per the eye test) and all those who think he only became great this year are stupid? And statistics are for idiots without the proper eye-testing abilities?
Methinks your posts are sometimes a reflection of a broken machine.
You get to say things like that when you seem to like literally every player that comes out of college. When they do well, it's "I told you so!". When they don't do well, you just never speak of them again.

I don't remember very many people around here ever talking about Fox having a broken shot. We talked about whether or not he could become a good shooter in the future but not that his shot was broken.

I was thinking about that as I was looking at FiveThirtyEight's projections for that draft. Fox is labelled as a project, while the #1 (out of service) and #2 (highly overrated) picks were projected as all-stars. I understand AI and machine learning well enough that I thought about writing to Nate Silver to suggest some changes, but I think the problem is mostly the data. Someone who played like Fox did in the past has no real business playing like he did the other night. He is developing in a very anomalous way, and an algorithm is not going to be able to predict that any more than it can Fultz' previously undiagnosed health problems. Some people just aren't going to follow the model.

I was thinking about that as I was looking at FiveThirtyEight's projections for that draft. Fox is labelled as a project, while the #1 (out of service) and #2 (highly overrated) picks were projected as all-stars. I understand AI and machine learning well enough that I thought about writing to Nate Silver to suggest some changes, but I think the problem is mostly the data. Someone who played like Fox did in the past has no real business playing like he did the other night. He is developing in a very anomalous way, and an algorithm is not going to be able to predict that any more than it can Fultz' previously undiagnosed health problems. Some people just aren't going to follow the model.
We shall see but I think the same thing will be true of Bagley.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think that the so called prognosticators tend to forget that their not writing about robots, but human beings, individuals, and they're all different and complex. It would easy if we had programs where one size fit all. But that's not how it works. Who knew that Kawhi Leonard would be a superstar. Hey, I loved him as a prospect and thought he had great 3 and D potential. But I never thought he would this good. It's not hard to spot talent, but it's extremely hard to know what's under the hood.