DeAaron Fox

He gets beat up like no one else on our team. Before Joerger gave him that game off, he was walking like an 80 year old man with sore feet. He’ll be fine.

I mean, I’m turning games on and he’s not scoring until there is one minute left in the half with no real imprint on games..
If you think scoring is the only way to imprint a game lol. Basketball newb. He is dictating the pace and tempo and keeping everyone involved as well as playing stellar defense. He attacks when the offense gets stagnant. He is perfectly fine and doing everything he needs to do to improve this team. Give it a rest gov.

If you think scoring is the only way to imprint a game lol. Basketball newb. He is dictating the pace and tempo and keeping everyone involved as well as playing stellar defense. He attacks when the offense gets stagnant. He is perfectly fine and doing everything he needs to do to improve this team. Give it a rest gov.
I didn’t see the first half, but I’m assuming there wasn’t much energy/aggression in that start

Is it me or is he really struggling to create anything in the half-court lately? He's always going to be a freak in the open floor but in the half court he seems really meh atm.

Is it me or is he really struggling to create anything in the half-court lately? He's always going to be a freak in the open floor but in the half court he seems really meh atm.
It takes him a rotation to figure out the coverages. He’s a really smart player—the slow starts will even out as he gains more familiarity with the league’s coaches/personnel and will remember schemes/tendencies.

His scoring is not coming from the outside lately for what ever reason. Could be fatigue but our offense at the beginning of games have slowed down with Fox bringing the ball up and passing instead of driving and dishing. It will continue to get worse and the defense will sag off of him trying to get him to take a jumper until they start to fall.

He is fine when in the open court and attacking and when he stayed in the game when Giles and Bagley came in the opposing defense was very occupied with those two which freed up not only Fox but Yogi also.

Plus I find it no coincidence that his scoring picked up with when Giles and Bagley came in while not only giving the opponents defensive fits but the defensive improved helping us to run more. It even helped Shumpert and he got into the passing lane a few times for steals.

I feel with good interior defense and we stop letting the opponents have a layup or dunk drills it pays big dividends for our offense to open up and work better. Fox will have to hit more outside shots when in the half court offense to keep defenses honest against him.

To be honest I’ve felt the level of play lately has often been low, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s run down did to physique. It makes me nervous to see such a building block go through games without strong imprint

To be honest I’ve felt the level of play lately has often been low, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s run down did to physique. It makes me nervous to see such a building block go through games without strong imprint
Still have to remember that he's in his 2nd year. I'd like him to be more consistent as well but that may be something that he develops going into next year.

Last year he had like 1 good game out of every 10. This year about half of his games are good games. Next year he should improve on that even more.

Still have to remember that he's in his 2nd year. I'd like him to be more consistent as well but that may be something that he develops going into next year.

Last year he had like 1 good game out of every 10. This year about half of his games are good games. Next year he should improve on that even more.
I think the bar has also been set significantly higher for him after the first month of the season. He really peaked in December as basically a 19 point, 8 assist point guard. I’m not sure it’s realistic for us to expect that to be sustained for the rest of this year. Outside a few games where he has just shot dreadfully AND did not make any real impact in the game, for the most part he’s still playing at a good level and making an impact one way or the other (defense, pushing the pace, leadership, etc.). I think we’ll see another significant jump next year where he learns to play under control for longer stretches of the season.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I think the bar has also been set significantly higher for him after the first month of the season. He really peaked in December as basically a 19 point, 8 assist point guard. I’m not sure it’s realistic for us to expect that to be sustained for the rest of this year. Outside a few games where he has just shot dreadfully AND did not make any real impact in the game, for the most part he’s still playing at a good level and making an impact one way or the other (defense, pushing the pace, leadership, etc.). I think we’ll see another significant jump next year where he learns to play under control for longer stretches of the season.
This! We got spoiled by his fast start, but now that Fox has crashed to earth, I'm neither surprised nor worried about his outside shooting reverting to streakiness.

I don't think that shot is gonna come around overnight, but it'll get there in another season or two.

When his shot is on, Fox is a totally different player. Not only does it open up his game, but he seems to play more confidently and aggressively when he's hitting from outside.

I also agree that Fox is, for the most part, still doing the little things when his shot is off. He's made big strides this season as a playmaker and defender.

Now hopefully he gets revenge against Phoenix today!

The problem is that we need Fox to be our 2nd best player behind Buddy, but he's been playing like your 3rd or sometimes 4th best player. DeAaron isn't playing the offense through him anymore. He's become deferrent, and it shows in his APG. We need him to be the 2nd fiddle to Buddy, but it just hasn't been the case since the new year.

First 36 games(up until the new year): 18.3pts 7.7asts 3.6rebs 1.7stls on 47.4/39.1/72
Last 18 games(from January until now):15.1pts 5.8asts 3.7rebs 1.8stls on 43.1/29.2/74.4

His 3pt shooting was always fluky, but he just doesn't seem to be playing as aggressive as before nor with the same amount of confidence.

The problem is that we need Fox to be our 2nd best player behind Buddy, but he's been playing like your 3rd or sometimes 4th best player. DeAaron isn't playing the offense through him anymore. He's become deferrent, and it shows in his APG. We need him to be the 2nd fiddle to Buddy, but it just hasn't been the case since the new year.

First 36 games(up until the new year): 18.3pts 7.7asts 3.6rebs 1.7stls on 47.4/39.1/72
Last 18 games(from January until now):15.1pts 5.8asts 3.7rebs 1.8stls on 43.1/29.2/74.4

His 3pt shooting was always fluky, but he just doesn't seem to be playing as aggressive as before nor with the same amount of confidence.
Outside of the three point shooting, his January numbers look alright. In fact, they looks similar to what a lot of us were hoping for before the season started. 15 and 6 on mid 40’s shooting.

Outside of the three point shooting, his January numbers look alright. In fact, they looks similar to what a lot of us were hoping for before the season started. 15 and 6 on mid 40’s shooting.
It depends the standard your holding him to. Actually the entire discussion does. If we are talking about him just maturing into a solid/good starting PG, the numbers/play may be fine. But for a franchise talent star, as he showed in glimpses early, the play IMO is currently not on par

It depends the standard your holding him to. Actually the entire discussion does. If we are talking about him just maturing into a solid/good starting PG, the numbers/play may be fine. But for a franchise talent star, as he showed in glimpses early, the play IMO is currently not on par
Yes, but that’s my point. I don’t think it’s realistic to hold him to the standard of franchise superstar in his second year. He’s more than ahead of pace if you ask me. If by this time next year we still don’t see a little more consistency then sure, I will start to get a little worried.

Yes, but that’s my point. I don’t think it’s realistic to hold him to the standard of franchise superstar in his second year. He’s more than ahead of pace if you ask me. If by this time next year we still don’t see a little more consistency then sure, I will start to get a little worried.
I mean what I’d expect from a franchise superstar in his second year

gunks

Hall of Famer
Watch him blow it up after the break. It's been a long season and we are playing at breakneck speed. It takes a toll
Wouldn't surprise me in the least! Being asked to run the offense and play both ends of the court in this high paced system got to be tiring!! Fox will look great after some rest.

In fact, if you check the split stats, Fox's numbers go up across the board depending on how many days rest he's has.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least! Being asked to run the offense and play both ends of the court in this high paced system got to be tiring!! Fox will look great after some rest.

In fact, if you check the split stats, Fox's numbers go up across the board depending on how many days rest he's has.
I think the part I bolded doesn't get proper appreciation sometimes. Fox works his tail off on defense. Something a lot of franchise players can't be bothered with because it's hard work, it takes energy they could burn on offense and... it doesn't get recognized by a lot of fans as something of great value for winning. Two fences contribute to winning but the one that starts with O gets all the attention.

Fox is a tremendously talented two-way star in the making, halfway through his second year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The “I’m concerned about Fox” takes are hilarious to me. Dude’s 21. In his second season. Already made leaps past his first season.

He’s going to get better. He’s going to get stronger. He’s going to get better endurance.

Of any of the concerns I have about this team, Fox is exactly zero of them.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Buddy is our leading scorer and probably will continue to be for some time but that doesn't mean Fox is our second option. DeAaron is still the most unguardable player we have when he's locked in and he's the unquestioned leader on the defensive end. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect franchise-level PG production from Fox but you also have to understand that young players, even very good ones, struggle with consistency.

As fun as it can be to see a player put the team on their back and carry them to a victory almost single-handedly, we're fortunate to have multiple young guys stepping up at once this year. Look at what happened with John Wall in Washington... he was their guy and carried them for years but the result was a team that often stood around and watched while he went 1 on 5. Or closer to home, is anyone really pining for a reboot of the Tyreke, Isaiah, and DeMarcus experiences? I'd much rather see what we're seeing now: a team learning how to win together. As long as they continue to do that, there will be plenty of opportunities for all of them to be great.

Basketball is the quinessential team sport. I get tired of all the first option, fourth option crap.
The use of PG, SG, SF, PF and C are going out the window.
Lots of teams in college and the pros play 3 guards and 2 forwards. They play 4 guards and a center. They play 2 guards and 3 forwards.
Forget the semantics.
Fox can play and it doesn't mean he has to score that much to be effective.

I enjoy De'Aaron's demeanor immensely.

"Even coming into the season," Kings guard De'Aaron Fox said last weekend, "I had a feeling we can get into the playoffs. And then at the beginning, we're beating teams, we're 6–3, everybody's going crazy. But we have 30 wins right now. We could very easily have 35. We gave Denver two wins. They blew us out the first time. We were up 17 on Portland, lost the game. We beat them the next time. We were up by two on Golden State with three minutes left, lost that. We had a one-point lead in the final seconds [in another game with the Warriors], gave up an offensive rebound, and Klay hits the putback. We've handed a lot of guys a lot of games."

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/02/19/d...ngs-surprise-season-buddy-hield-marvin-bagley

Fox can finish at the rim like no one I have seen in a long time. His shot selection is good. His passing is okay and getting better. He can really mess with the other team on defense. He applies pressure on both ends of the floor.

It is really hard for me to understand why there are so many no calls when he attacks the basket. Most of the players on defense weigh more than he does and he goes flying. It is almost as if the refs have secret meetings to make sure everything close gets called for players like Harden, but they have decided that Fox doesn't deserve to have his fouls called a lot of the time. I don't complain about officiating hardly at all, but this is blatant and obvious even to a casual fan.

Fox can finish at the rim like no one I have seen in a long time. His shot selection is good. His passing is okay and getting better. He can really mess with the other team on defense. He applies pressure on both ends of the floor.

It is really hard for me to understand why there are so many no calls when he attacks the basket. Most of the players on defense weigh more than he does and he goes flying. It is almost as if the refs have secret meetings to make sure everything close gets called for players like Harden, but they have decided that Fox doesn't deserve to have his fouls called a lot of the time. I don't complain about officiating hardly at all, but this is blatant and obvious even to a casual fan.
Sorry for the red and large text, but I think what you wrote needs to be emphasized. The refs are ignoring blatant fouls. Swipa should be living at the foul stripe!

He’s getting the AI treatment. AI would have a ton of non calls all the time because he was who we was. It’s not right though especially in this day and age where they call everything for a lot of other players. If I’m the Kings I’m sending a video after every game to the league office.