Davis traded to the Lakers

Hopefully the Clips will begin stealing most the top FA the LAL used to get. I mean, they do have Jerry West steering the ship and much better ownership/front office. And a better team.

It’d be great to see the balance of long term power shift and the LAL become the Knicks of the past 20 years.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hopefully the Clips will begin stealing most the top FA the LAL used to get. I mean, they do have Jerry West steering the ship and much better ownership/front office. And a better team.

It’d be great to see the balance of long term power shift and the LAL become the Knicks of the past 20 years.
Like if Kawhi goes to LAC, and they’re better than BronBrow.

It would be beautiful. Might actually make me a Kawhi fan.

Like if Kawhi goes to LAC, and they’re better than BronBrow.

It would be beautiful. Might actually make me a Kawhi fan.
The worst part about it is all the freaking non-stop media coverage. I can't go to ESPN to check scores w/o it still being the front page story -- days after. Effing ridiculous.

Whatever happened to teams that haven't made the postseason in a while not getting much coverage from the media? SMH.

Before someone chimes in to tell me that they're a marquee franchise, I get it. One can dream though, right?

The worst part about it is all the freaking non-stop media coverage. I can't go to ESPN to check scores w/o it still being the front page story -- days after. Effing ridiculous.

Whatever happened to teams that haven't made the postseason in a while not getting much coverage from the media? SMH.

Before someone chimes in to tell me that they're a marquee franchise, I get it. One can dream though, right?
It's the eternal struggle between a sports competition and an entertainment business. In entertainment business terms, the Lakers are the Globetrotters and the Kings are the Washington Generals. The national media certainly covers it the second way most of the time.

Because of the amount of money to be made, there will always be pressure to give special treatment to certain teams and players. I don't think you can stop it completely; you just have to fight back.

Assuming Lebron stays with the Lakers the rest of career. Birthday in December, so turns this age during the early season

Lebron's age vs pick debt.

2019-2020 turns 35 No pick at risk
20-21 36 top 8 protected or unprotected in 22
21-22 37 Unlikely to convey
22-23 38 Swap rights
23-24 39 unprotected
24-25 40 swap rights

Major risk for Nets/Ainge style regrets here.

Assuming Lebron stays with the Lakers the rest of career. Birthday in December, so turns this age during the early season

Lebron's age vs pick debt.

2019-2020 turns 35 Gave up the #4
20-21 36 No pick at risk
21-22 37 top 8 protected or unprotected in 22
22-23 38 Unlikely to convey
23-24 39 Swap rights
24-25 40 unprotected
25-26 41 swap rights

Major risk for Nets/Ainge style regrets here.
I see everyone comparing this trade not just here but nationally to the Celtics but IMO it’s two totally different situations. I think people forget KG was 37 and Pierce was 36 when traded to the Nets. AD is 25, arguably a top 5 player in the league, and will probably sign a long term deal. Free Agents will want to play with AD in LA. I think it’s a win win for both teams

Lakers will be a title contender this year without a doubt.

Davis is 26

The major risk here besides AD leaving after this season which I doubt happens is what Lebron can do and for how long. They can't afford another max type of deal, so they have to fill out the roster on the cheap.

In theory they could of waited for FA next season but bet the farm.

I would of recommended them to go after Davis, but those future pick considerations are insane. Really risky. I didn't think the Pelicans could get that much.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
How many people do you think are waiting in line to help out LeBron and the Lakers? What can they reasonably give to make another team get them under the max limit?

How many people do you think are waiting in line to help out LeBron and the Lakers? What can they reasonably give to make another team get them under the max limit?
I would be tempted. Maybe our last 2nd rounder for Wagner. The smart move would be to add depth behind LeBron and AD by signing solid players to round out the team. If they want to max out 3 players and have nothing but 2nd round scrubs fill out the team thats on them. If we can steal a decent player from their fire sale, I'm ok with it.

Well, the Pelicans kinda just did. After holding out and refusing to deal with them up to the all-star break, they finally buckled. They may have got a big return but they still allowed LAL to keep Kuzma, which I believe they could have held out for. The LeBron's couldn't sit around and do nothing all offseason.

I just hope Vlade doesn't do them any favors with all the 2nd rounders the KINGS have. As @steelevt pointed out, though, if they KINGS could steal a player like Wagner for depth, that might be ok. Just don't 'sell' them anything.

Then again, I don't want to see anyone help them reduce their cap to the point of being able to offer another max deal.

What I want to know is where is all of the raving enthusiasm over the Pelicans getting Lonzo Ball? I've never heard such little noise over acquiring such a generational, transcendent player. Seriously, all of those in the media that put so much stock in Ball and had such a positive outlook on the 7akers future haven't said a thing about any of it. It's because it was always BS. Ball was always hot garbage. Anyone who has a background of playing basketball takes one look at his shot and chuckles.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
What I want to know is where is all of the raving enthusiasm over the Pelicans getting Lonzo Ball? I've never heard such little noise over acquiring such a generational, transcendent player. Seriously, all of those in the media that put so much stock in Ball and had such a positive outlook on the 7akers future haven't said a thing about any of it. It's because it was always BS. Ball was always hot garbage. Anyone who has a background of playing basketball takes one look at his shot and chuckles.
Ball reminds me of Rubio so much in that he's got really good defensive instincts and court vision but his complete inability to shoot the ball like a normal human being and weird intangibles also have me convinced that he'll be out of the league in a few years time.

Ball reminds me of Rubio so much in that he's got really good defensive instincts and court vision but his complete inability to shoot the ball like a normal human being and weird intangibles also have me convinced that he'll be out of the league in a few years time.
Ball is a good player. Just far from a great one. Unlike many in media, I've never felt he'd reach that level. Perhaps he will and I'm wrong. IDK.

I'm not even sold on him being this great defensive player people try to make him out to be. He struggles greatly with speed and quickness.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Words I never thought I’d ever say; I’ll now be cheering for Lonzo Ball. I want him to turn into the player the Lakers thought he would be.

Don’t think he’ll get there though. Solid yet flawed Rubio type player isn’t a terrible calling. It just doesn’t match the crazy hype he got.

I would be tempted. Maybe our last 2nd rounder for Wagner. The smart move would be to add depth behind LeBron and AD by signing solid players to round out the team. If they want to max out 3 players and have nothing but 2nd round scrubs fill out the team thats on them. If we can steal a decent player from their fire sale, I'm ok with it.
With all bad press for Wagner not sure we would even need the 60th pick

Might be a good 3rd string

But character?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...ter-like-of-george-zimmerman-tweet/ar-AAD5itP

But character?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...ter-like-of-george-zimmerman-tweet/ar-AAD5itP
Character? He liked a tweet then denied he did it. It's a bad look but many athletes feel the need to tweet about current events or political ideas which can lead them into hot water. But when I think bad character I think more of spousal or child abuse, drugs and alcohol abuse and so forth as opposed to liking a tweet than denying it. Either way I agree he's not that big of a player to waste major assets on.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

But character?

Character? He liked a tweet about Zimmerman then denied he did it. It's a bad look but many athletes feel the need to tweet about current events or political ideas which can lead them into hot water. But when I think bad character I think more of spousal or child abuse, drugs and alcohol abuse and so forth as opposed to liking a tweet than denying it. Either way I agree he's not that big of a player to waste major assets on.
MOD NOTE; We aren't going to allow a discussion of George Zimmerman or current events or political ideas. We've tried it before and it NEVER ends well.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The worst part about it is all the freaking non-stop media coverage. I can't go to ESPN to check scores w/o it still being the front page story -- days after. Effing ridiculous...
Why are people still going to the "front page" of ESPN to check scores, in 2019? They have actual scoreboards for every sport that they cover; have you considered bookmarking some of them?

Alternatively, am I the only person alive who uses the ESPN app the way that ESPN intended for people to use it?