CP3 to Phoenix

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Suns officially have a big three in Paul, Booker, Ayton. But the supporting cast is pretty thin and pretty young right now. They're looking to start Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson (or Frank Kaminsky, if they pick up his option). There are ways this could go wrong yet.

OKC seems to have really come out on top between the trade that brought Paul in and the trade that brings him out, especially considering Houston is blowing up. and here we are. :/

dude12

Hall of Famer
OKC knows how to stay relevant being a small market team. Maybe we should try and follow their lead. Starts with drafting our version of Harden, Westbrook and Durant. That’s all McNair has to do....hah

They would have had to pay up for Oubre after this season, so I think this is a good trade for them, especially with the rumors that Booker has been eyeing an exit. Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson are good role players, and this move will help them attract free agents (assuming they have room to sign someone, haven't looked at their cap situation).

Not that we had much hope to begin with but this should solidify us not having a shot at the playoffs. If HOU and OKC drop (big if at this point) and Warriors get back in, that leaves 1 spot open. Maybe before this trade we compete with PHO / SAS / MEM / NOP for 8? I have to imagine this puts the Suns firmly ahead of that group and pretty much ends our hopes

Seems time to blow it up. Either that or petition to move to the eastern conference. If Carolina could be in the NFC West for however many years I don’t see any reason we can’t go East

As it stands now, I think the Suns just clearly moved a tier above the Kings for next season. Have we heard anything about how scheduling is going to work? I remember Hollinger speculated that teams would play more intra-division games to limit travel during the pandemic. Knowing that would be important to assess how competitive the Kings are realistically going to be for this upcoming year.

Not that we had much hope to begin with but this should solidify us not having a shot at the playoffs. If HOU and OKC drop (big if at this point) and Warriors get back in, that leaves 1 spot open. Maybe before this trade we compete with PHO / SAS / MEM / NOP for 8? I have to imagine this puts the Suns firmly ahead of that group and pretty much ends our hopes

Seems time to blow it up. Either that or petition to move to the eastern conference. If Carolina could be in the NFC West for however many years I don’t see any reason we can’t go East
I’m starting to get there too (and don’t forget Minnesota will have the top pick or whatever they trade it for to boost their case as well). But there’s going to be a play in this year, so you can still sneak in the playoffs if you get the 10th seed and beat the 7th seed twice, for example.

All the more reason to swing for the fences in the next 2/3 drafts for the Kings. In order for us to be competitive in the next 3-4 years we need Fox to take one more big leap, Bagley to take 2 leaps (second jump?) and to drive one into the seats with one or more of our draft picks. Tall order.

On paper, looks like they're a bit better, at least for the short term.
If Chris Paul stays healthy I think it's a huge upgrade. CP3 is still an elite defender at the PG spot, and will provide much better spacing than Rubio. The Suns need Ayton to make a leap to not just make the playoffs but contend.

It will be interesting to see, as Paul is a win now acquisition but I'm not sure the rest of the team is there yet. But they didn't give up a to get him.

OKC seems to have really come out on top between the trade that brought Paul in and the trade that brings him out, especially considering Houston is blowing up. and here we are. :/
Presti is putting on a clinic in terms of how to gather assets in a rebuild. To be fair he got most of his haul from trading away Westbrook and Paul George but even the little moves are good ones Getting a late 1st for Schroder and Danny Green's ending contract looks lopsided in the Laker's favor but Schroder is a FA after the season and almost certainly wouldn't have been re-signed. And dealing away he and CP3 just helps this year's tank while opening up more minutes for young guys.

And how about getting a 1st round pick both when he traded for Paul AND getting one when he he trades him away.

With things apparently imploding in Houston those 1sts could get very valuable. Same thing with the Clippers if Kawhi and PG decide to opt out if they fall short again next season.

OKC knows how to stay relevant being a small market team. Maybe we should try and follow their lead. Starts with drafting our version of Harden, Westbrook and Durant. That’s all McNair has to do....hah
I know you're joking, but that really is the only path to success in Sacramento. Draft well and then either build around those good draft picks or flip them to keep improving. How a Kings GM draft is going to be far and away the biggest reason they succeed or fail.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Suns clearly looking to win now and wanting to end that long Playoff drought. I don't think this trade happens if the Suns don't go 8-0 in bubble action but it did and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Paul will definitely chew Ayton out if he doesn't run a proper play.

OKC showing you if you make chicken salad out of you know what you can get something back. They didn't sit CP3 on the bench or try and tank. They used what they had to it's best ability and in the end were able to shine it up and turn it over at a profit.

As for the Suns, they're a bit desperate and we'll have to see how Booker and he work out. Hopefully this isn't another Harden/Paul scenario or I guess depending on where the Kings go it is haha. Booker needs to buy in and prove he wants to win.

OKC showing you if you make chicken salad out of you know what you can get something back. They didn't sit CP3 on the bench or try and tank. They used what they had to it's best ability and in the end were able to shine it up and turn it over at a profit.

As for the Suns, they're a bit desperate and we'll have to see how Booker and he work out. Hopefully this isn't another Harden/Paul scenario or I guess depending on where the Kings go it is haha. Booker needs to buy in and prove he wants to win.
I don't see there being issues. Harden and Paul both wanted to lead and they had different playing styles. Booker and Paul will likely fit better on the court and Booker has to be hungry just to win at this point.