Cauley-Stein to sign with Warriors

"The deal is worth slightly above the minimum salary"

But it's about the freedom to ball, right? No longer will Willie get tied down to the Kings' way. This way, he'll be able to get what has been necessary for him to be able to lead the franchise the way he wants to, right? ;)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"The deal is worth slightly above the minimum salary"

But it's about the freedom to ball, right? No longer will Willie get tied down to the Kings' way. This way, he'll be able to get what has been necessary for him to be able to lead the franchise the way he wants to, right? ;)

"Hold on Steph. This is supposed be my turn to shoot a contested three!"

It's a risk for WCS. But maybe being a roleplayer on a contender looks better on the resume than a role player on the Kings.

He must be pretty self-confident to think he can raise his value by a few million a year from one year on the Warriors.
That approach doesn't seem to have worked out too well for DeMarcus Cousins though. Different scenario for sure, but unless WCS starts doing all the things in Golden State that we always wanted him to do for the Kings (protect the rim, focus on defense, be consistent game in and game out) then I don't see this paying off for him.

He had two full seasons as a starting center in Sacramento to make his name, including a contract year with a surprising Kings team. I don't know that he'll even start for the Warriors and I definitely don't think he'll be allowed to "hoop freely" there.

I've long been a Cauley-Stein defender but when it comes down to it I think his biggest issue has always been wanting to be an offensive superstar instead of maximizing his real potential as a defender/dirty work player. If he had he'd be on a Capela sized contract now instead of a minimum deal still looking to impress GMs with his "guard skills".

kb02

All-Star
Would love to sit in the first meeting when they show him clips of Jordan Bells' best GSW highlights and go this is what you'll be doing for us. The look on his face will be priceless. It's binary. I don't see a middle ground. Either he buys in or he blows up. Time will tell.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
since Willie is no longer a King, I don't see the need to have this thread in the Kings section. It should be moved to the NBA section and the thread title should be changed to something along the lines of "Willie watch - Dubs edition" ;)

It's a risk for WCS. But maybe being a roleplayer on a contender looks better on the resume than a role player on the Kings.

He must be pretty self-confident to think he can raise his value by a few million a year from one year on the Warriors.
Did I miss somewhere where he said he chose this? Because it reads to me as a clear case of the market setting a guys value a lot differently than he thinks. There were no rumors of anyone trying to pay him. He was like Bol Bol on draft night during the NBA Free Agency show on Sunday with someone reminding everyone well into the eve that Willie is out there.

He is not going to showcase his skillset on the Warriors, he will be given a role to play and if he doesn't play it you can be assured that Kerr will find someone else who will.

so if they think he has a outside shot I hope our fans encourage him and continue to call out shoot shoot every time he touches the ball outside the paint.

Maybe he will prove to us we were wrong.

Here is a gem from Forbes

"Defensively, Cauley-Stein is a rim protection presence but doesn’t provide the same level of mobility or switchability as incumbent center Kevon Looney. Golden State’s defensive guru Ron Adams should help, but Cauley-Stein still won’t ever be an elite defender. He’s too stiff, and his instincts dwindle the further away he gets from the basket."

Here is a gem from Forbes

"Defensively, Cauley-Stein is a rim protection presence but doesn’t provide the same level of mobility or switchability as incumbent center Kevon Looney. Golden State’s defensive guru Ron Adams should help, but Cauley-Stein still won’t ever be an elite defender. He’s too stiff, and his instincts dwindle the further away he gets from the basket."
I have watched most of the games WCS has played in and this report seems backwards to me:) Willie is better defending away from the basket IMO. Ever since he injured his hand on the hoop it is as if he is afraid to contest at the rim:I

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Where oh where did that $10-15 MM go? (And weren't some saying he'd get even more?) On Media Day of last season: “I’m ready to get paid,” Cauley-Stein told NBC Sports California. “This is what we’ve got to do, that’s what type of focus I’m on." Turns out his big pay day is around $2M, a large hair cut from his $4.7M he got from the Kings last year.

These talking heads can say whatever stupid thing they say. The guys that dole out the millions do their research, and their research has determined what Willie Cauley Stein is worth - just above the minimum.

I think if he had the right attitude most around here would of been satisfied paying him the 6.3 million.
That’s got to be a real kick in the For him and if what just happened doesn’t motivate him I am truly sorry for him.

Just don’t understand why he went west for that kind of money?

I just love it when people get what they deserve. All the bad mouthing he made his agent do and his weird replies and belief that the Kings held him back culminated into this.

I think it’s fantastic. I hope this drops him down to reality but let’s be real, this is Willie and he will never ever have the opportunity elsewhere that he had here. Had the center spot to himself for two seasons and didn’t even come close to deserving a third.

Well played karma, well played.

I think if he had the right attitude most around here would of been satisfied paying him the 6.3 million.
That’s got to be a real kick in the For him and if what just happened doesn’t motivate him I am truly sorry for him.

Just don’t understand why he went west for that kind of money?
I'd have honestly thought we got a huge deal at 10. He's still serviceable as the 3rd big and spot starter. It's hard for me to believe that the QO represented an overpay and yet here we are. I'm happy with who we signed and the fact that we didn't pay someone so much it will be problematic if Giles and Bags are both starting at the end of the year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just love it when people get what they deserve. All the bad mouthing he made his agent do and his weird replies and belief that the Kings held him back culminated into this.

I think it’s fantastic. I hope this drops him down to reality but let’s be real, this is Willie and he will never ever have the opportunity elsewhere that he had here. Had the center spot to himself for two seasons and didn’t even come close to deserving a third.

Well played karma, well played.
WCS will fit right in with the Warriors crowd, especially in their new location. Oakland? No. SF? Oh yeah...