Can this King be a prince?

Can this King be a prince?

Shooting guard hits all the right notes on Day 1

By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, August 5,

For a day, Bonzi Wells pulled it off.

He brought the angel when the devil was on the schedule, made a room full of media members wonder how this charming, forthright fellow came into town so vilified. There was the All-American feel at the Kings practice facility Thursday, with the beauty of Wells' longtime girlfriend and the innocence of his three young boys in their brightly colored shirts that warmed the room. The newest King donned dark green slacks and a matching shirt, the getup of choice for a seamless introduction.

Wells said all the right things, answered all the tough questions, proclaimed that seven years in the league and two sour endings at his first two stops have turned him into a changed man, an appreciative man, a one-time train wreck who's finally ready to chug along.

"When my agent called me and told me there was a chance for me to come (to Sacramento), I was overwhelmed, very happy and excited," said Wells, who was traded in the deal that sent guard Bobby Jackson to Memphis and center Greg Ostertag to Utah. "It was almost like the best day of my life, like draft day, because I get a new chance to redeem myself, to show myself that I can do this on a consistent level without any kind of off-court things that get you off the track sometimes. I don't want to go off the track no more."

For a day, it was almost enough to keep everyone's head from looking back - or, as Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie likes to say, "moving forward." That is, both he and Wells agree, the only way to do this dance.

"Sacramento's my new love, so I'm going to take this first date and hopefully make a marriage out of it," Wells said.

For a day, the union made sense. Wells - who is 28 and only a few years removed from his glory days in Portland when he topped off at 17 points per game in 2001-02 - has one year left on his contract that will pay him $8 million. What he won't have are the elements that led to disaster in Portland and Memphis, namely a lack of playing time and a contentious relationship with his coach.

He can expect to play 30-plus minutes per night as a King, in an offense far more freeing than the rigid system he was no fan of in Memphis. And if first impressions of his new coach take hold, don't be surprised if Wells starts his own Rick Adelman fan club sometime soon.

The Adelman phone calls caught him completely off guard. The first one was nice, a chance to say hello and discuss the hypotheticals of Wells in a Kings uniform. But then came the second, and the third, and eventually the seventh, with Adelman calling from his house in Oregon, from Sacramento, even from Las Vegas while the Kings played in summer league.

"He's called me the most out of anybody lately, calling me on his personal time and telling me what he feels about me, what he expects of me," Wells said. "He just said, 'Bonzi, all the stuff (people) said about you, all that stuff, I don't care about any of that stuff. I just care about how you treat me from the day we talk.'

"He said how guys like Chris Webber had questionable pasts, and then when he got here everybody loved him. I really appreciated that, respected that. ... Just saying that (gives me) goose bumps coming down my spine, because that's just a sign of respect."

Petrie, meanwhile, was doing his own background check. Seeking the truth about Wells' one-game suspension in the playoffs last season, Petrie talked on numerous occasions to Grizzlies general manager Jerry West and was given assurances that Wells was no ticking time bomb. He also sought the opinion of Kings assistant Elston Turner, who was an assistant in Portland for Wells' first two seasons.

It was, apparently, an effective gameplan. Wells' agent, William Phillips, said his client never wanted to be anywhere but here. He would turn a deaf ear when Phillips discussed other options that included the Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit and Cleveland.

"Every time, he'd just say, 'What's up with Sac?' " Phillips said. Not bad for a day.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/13357378p-14199089c.html

Last edited:
Nice to know there are players out there not only interested, but now completely absorbed about joining a low market team like Sac. I think that's what the last "era" really did for this small market team. The owners, players, and coaching staff have really provided an exciting opportunity for future free agents and players to work hard, contribute, but also have fun at the same time, even if they have questionable pasts.

Excellent....if only we could get that elusive young 7 footer from Chicago into a Kings uni....we'd be set. Hold on guys, cause were headed for a month worth of suspense, chills, and thrills. :)

I too am very happy there are players who want to come to Sac and Sac alone. Also, the fact that Petrie and Adelman make it that easy is awesome.

Work some more magic Petrie. Make us believe.

SiliconBreakfast said:
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see Bonzi wrecking shop in a Kings uniform.

BTW, does anyone know what caused the playoff suspension?

The Grizz were just sick of him, as with Kwame in Washington.

This article is great news. Not only does it make me feel a lot better about Bonzi coming here, but also more optimistic about future FA negotiations or trade possibilities.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
KingKong said:
Nice to know there are players out there not only interested, but now completely absorbed about joining a low market team like Sac. I think that's what the last "era" really did for this small market team. The owners, players, and coaching staff have really provided an exciting opportunity for future free agents and players to work hard, contribute, but also have fun at the same time, even if they have questionable pasts.
Its called having a top tier, class organization. All championship aspirations must begin at the organizational level first. You can have all the talent in the world on the court, but if the brain isn't there, you can forget about it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
SacTownKid said:
Its called having a top tier, class organization. All championship aspirations must begin at the organizational level first. You can have all the talent in the world on the court, but if the brain isn't there, you can forget about it.
While I would like to think that is true, I think the inclusion of Detroit on that list may indicate it was something a little more practical and less complimentary: PT. Playing time. In all of those other spots they already had other good starting quality OGs (Mobley, Rip, Hughes) signed and Bonzi would have been a 6th man. In Sacto, we did not. Barring a real blossoming from the kids, Bonzi could easily get a career high 35+ minutes a game for us this year. His desire to come here, and in a contract year to boot, might be as simple as that. Which is fine with me actually -- Memphis was stupid in how they used (or underused) him. This guy is capable of big numbers if you ahve him out ont he court long enough, and its nto as if he is hurting you with his defense/hustle either.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're kidding, right?

There is NO WAY Francisco Garcia is going to start over Bonzi Wells. You can take that to the bank...

I know you're really excited about Cisco, but he is not going to start in place of an experienced, TALENTED veteran like Wells. There is no scenario in the world in which that makes sense.

O

ONEZERO

BibityBobtyBoom said:
if francisco starts over bonzi, don't be surprised if the old bonzi comes back... (doom doom doom)! But its only for one year.
what r u saying????????