Kings........18.....38......--...…0.679
Magic...... 18.....38..... --…0.679
Grizzlies....18....37........--..…0.673
Nets..........19.....39.....1….…0.672
Bulls.........20.....36.....2….…0.643
Knicks......23.....35.....5….…0.603
Lakers.......23.....32.....5….…0.582

* In Win Column

Gloom and doom in the Kingdom. The Kings were unable to get the LIN against the Mavs, although a gallant effort in the 4th quarter came up just short. Kings slip behind the Suns, Hawks, and Mavs for the top spot and are tied with the Magic just percentage points out.

The Hawks LINNED against the Bucks as expected although they had a little bit of trouble pulling it off. They led at the half by 2, but managed to be outscored by 15 points in the 3rd which sealed the LIN for them. They are now back in the top spot in that log jam with the Suns, Mavs, Kings, and Magic.

Full slate of games tonight.

Hawks at Pistons, probably a LIN for Hawks, Pistons need a win to stay in the running for the 8th spot and will be seeking revenge for the loss last Sunday.

Hornets at Magic, another LIN for the Magic.

Pacers at Nets, most likely a Nets LIN, but an upset by the Pacers is possible, if they overlook the Magic.

Wizards at Knicks, the loss of Porzingis probably has the Knicks in a tank mold whether they intend to be or not. Their 23-win total, however is a severe handicap to overcome, would almost have to LIN out to move to the top spot.

Raptors at Bulls, Bulls LINNERS of 8 of their last 10 should get the easy LIN tonight.

Kings at Rockets should get the Kings back in the LIN column and at least stay close with the other leaders in that log jam at the top.

Lakers at the Pelicans, too close to call, the Lakers seem to have delusions of grandeur about making that 8th spot for the playoffs. Lakers have failed to LIN in 7 of their last 10 games.

Suns at Jazz, Booker probably won’t be back until after the All-Star break (if then). Until he rejoins the Suns they cannot help but LIN.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If you look at the bottom eight teams of last year, how much did their standings and records change from Feb 14, 2017? Here are the records of that Feb 14, 2017 date:

1) Nets - 9-46 (.164)
2) Suns - 17-39 (.304)
3) Lakers - 19-38 (.333)
4) Philly - 21-34 (.381)
5) Orlando - 21-36 (.368)
6) Knicks - 23-33 (.411)
7) T-Wolves - 21-35 (.375)
8) Kings 24-32 (.429)

Here are the final standings (Knicks and T-Wolves tied for 6th position):

1) Nets - 20-62 (.244)
2) Suns - 24-58 (.293)
3) Lakers - 26-56 (.317)
4) Philly - 28-54 (.341)
5) Orlando - 29-53 (.354)
6) Knicks - 31-51 (.378)
6) Wolves - 31-51 (.378)
7) Kings - 32 -50 (.390)

Except for the Knicks and Wolves, not one team changed position from Feb 2017 to the end of the season! Based on last year's history, the Kings are set for the 4th or 5th ping pong ball slot.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If you look at the bottom eight teams of last year, how much did their standings and records change from Feb 14, 2017? Here are the records of that Feb 14, 2017 date:

1) Nets - 9-46 (.164)
2) Suns - 17-39 (.304)
3) Lakers - 19-38 (.333)
4) Philly - 21-34 (.381)
6) Knicks - 23-33 (.411)
8) Kings 24-32 (.429)

1) Nets - 20-62 (.244)
2) Suns - 24-58 (.293)
3) Lakers - 26-56 (.317)
4) Philly - 28-54 (.341)
6) Knicks - 31-51 (.378)
6) Wolves - 31-51 (.378)
7) Kings - 32 -50 (.390)

Except for the Knicks and Wolves, not one team changed position from Feb 2017 to the end of the season! Based on last year's history, the Kings are set for the 4th or 5th ping pong ball slot.
There was a lot less wiggle room last year. There's 6 teams on 18 wins right now. So who knows. Kind of a joke.

1) Nets - 9-46 (.164)
2) Suns - 17-39 (.304)
3) Lakers - 19-38 (.333)
4) Philly - 21-34 (.381)
6) Knicks - 23-33 (.411)
8) Kings 24-32 (.429)

1) Nets - 20-62 (.244)
2) Suns - 24-58 (.293)
3) Lakers - 26-56 (.317)
4) Philly - 28-54 (.341)
6) Knicks - 31-51 (.378)
6) Wolves - 31-51 (.378)
7) Kings - 32 -50 (.390)

Except this year it changes significantly day to day. Could come down to the last week.

We have to make sure we have a top 7 pick this year if we don’t it will be a travesty and devastating blow to the rebuild.

Doncic
Ayton
Jackson
Porter
Bagley
Bamba
Young

All are talented after that the fall off is too big even at worst we get Young and he comes off the bench with Hield to form a powerful bench

We have to make sure we have a top 7 pick this year if we don’t it will be a travesty and devastating blow to the rebuild.

Doncic
Ayton
Jackson
Porter
Bagley
Bamba
Young

All are talented after that the fall off is too big even at worst we get Young and he comes off the bench with Hield to form a powerful bench
If we finish 6 or 7th all it takes is a couple teams to jump us into the top 3 and your 8. If you look at tankathon we sit 5th by record but most often land 6 or 7 because of the chance of 1 or 2 teams jumping up.

If we finish 6 or 7th all it takes is a couple teams to jump us into the top 3 and your 8. If you look at tankathon we sit 5th by record but most often land 6 or 7 because of the chance of 1 or 2 teams jumping up.
We’re in a tie though so it’d be a coin flip with the other teams. I get your point though.

Latest LIN standings (2/14/18)

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings

TEAM WINS LINS *GB Losing %
Suns.........18.....41....--…..…0.695
Hawks.....18.....41.....--..……0.695
Mavs........18.....40......--...….0.690
Kings........18.....39......--...…0.684
Magic...... 18.....39..... --……0.684
Grizzlies....18....38......--.…0.679
Nets..........19.....40.....1….…0.678
Bulls.........20.....37.....2….…0.649
Knicks......23.....36.....5….…0.610
Lakers.......23.....33.....5….…0.589

* In Win Column

No changes in the standings, all teams in action last night LINNED.

Kings pulled off the LIN, even at times they looked like they could play with best team (record wise) in the NBA.

Only one LIN team in action tonight, Lakers at Timberwolves. Lakers should come out with the LIN and keep their slim LIN Championship hopes alive, that is unless they still think they can compete for that last playoff spot.

After tonight, the teams take a break until after the All-Star break. With only the Lakers in action tonight, the LIN standings will remain as they are until after the break.

Updated Pre-All-Star Break LIN standings (2/17/18) (Sorry about being late, your reporter has the flu)

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings

Lakers.......23.....34.....5….…0.596

* In Win Column

Lakers got the LIN at Timberwolves, after the Wolves had kept the game close for 3 quarters. Wolves led after 3 by 7 points, but were outscored 35 to 20 in the 4th for the LIN.

All teams take a break until after the All-Star break, hope to have a post-All-Star game analysis before action begins again on Thursday.

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings (Post-All-Star Break)

* In Win Column

Team..........Last 10……Games Left……….Home………..Away……Head-to-Head

Suns…………….1-9…………….23………………….11………………12…………………5

Hawks…………4-6…………….23………………….11………………12…………………5

Mavs……………2-8…………….24………………….11………………13…………………8

Kings……………4-6…………….25………………….16……………….9…………………9

Magic……………4-6…………….25………………….14………………11…………………9

Grizzlies…………1-9…………….26………………….11………………15…………………7

Nets……………….1-9…………….23…………………..9………………14…………………7

Bulls………………2-8…………….25………………….12………………13…………………9

Knicks…………….2-8…………….23………………….13………………10…………………5

Lakers……………..5-5…………….25………………….13………………12…………………7

There are a total of 71 head-to-head games among the 10 teams. Those 71 games are guaranteed wins (as well as LINS) that will be distributed among the LIN competitors. Wins are the no-no in the LIN world, whoever has the fewest wins, gets the prize.

So, it is guaranteed that some if not all LIN competitors will be saddled with wins just from the head-to-head competition.

The Kings have probably the worst LIN schedule.

Suns are playing the worst ball right now without Booker. He took part in the All-Star 3-Point Contest, so maybe he is good to go. Without him, they don’t have to try to lose. They just are not very good at all.

Mavs are just behind the Suns in playing poorly as of late.

Really can’t see the Knicks or Lakers making a run for it with 23 wins already, 5 games back with 8 teams between them and the “top”. But they could compete for 5th on back and play a spoiler in the head-to-heads.

Suns and Mavs may have the inside track with favorable schedule and playing poorly right now.

I know there are some on here who have the outright paranoia that all the other teams are doing everything within their power to lose games while the Kings management is too incompetent to even throw a game. But I have been watching a lot of the games, and I just don’t see the other teams going way out of their way to lose games, at least not at this point.

Actually, just in the last two weeks I see some teams beating teams you would think would be an easy LIN for them if they were in a full-blown tank mode. Hawks beat the Pistons, Bulls beat the Timberwolves, Lakers beat the Thunder (twice), Magic beat the Cavs, Magic beat the Heat, plus beating up on each other in the head-to-head.

I keep reading comments that “we” have to make sure and get a top pick, but I am not sure how this is to be accomplished, making sure, that is. I know there will be much finger pointing if the Kings don’t get a top pick because it is going to be decided by probably a 1 or 2 game difference, I suspect it will still be the log jam it is right now at the end of the season.

I suppose there will be specific games targeted as games the Kings should not have won for one reason or another. But if you look at the season results of all the other teams in the running, you can find several games for each team “that they should not have won”.

Several of the young players have made significant progress (Bogs, Willie, Fox, Buddy) and now Jackson seems to be stepping up. Mason and Labissiere are slated to return to action after injuries. The young Kings could start playing well as a team these last 25 games and win several games “that they should not have won” playing havoc with the draft position. I am not sure how our LIN fans will handle that if the progress of the young guys causes this team to fall lower in the draft. I know some of them all but advocate actively “throwing” games, but I don’t really see this happening.

It will be an interesting final 25 games. In an ideal world, you would like to see the young guys play well and put on a little run and finish the season strong and not hear the term tanking and not have the forum overwhelmed with negativity because the Kings are winning games. Probably just a pipe dream anyway, that winning games thing, that is.

It's funny to read how people twist narratives.

Now apparently we don't want the young guys to play well and we are advocating throwing games.

It's probably why there are so many back and forth arguments over and over about the same thing on this board. You can say the same thing a hundred times but if someone doesn't agree with you, they aren't going to listen.

It's funny to read how people twist narratives.

Now apparently we don't want the young guys to play well and we are advocating throwing games.

It's probably why there are so many back and forth arguments over and over about the same thing on this board. You can say the same thing a hundred times but if someone doesn't agree with you, they aren't going to listen.
Yes, it is funny how people twist narratives. Well, you are really good at twisting things aren't you? I don't think it's funny. I DID NOT SAY that anybody didn't want the young guys to play well. I wondered how will some respond if the young guys play well and win and knock the Kings out of a top position, as in how much gloom and doom will they dish out, how much complaining will there be that the Kings aren't finding ways to lose. The narrative now, when the Kings win is that it is the vets fault when they win. What if the young guys play more and the Kings win because the young guys have improved over the course of the season? It's really sad when the Kings win to read all the negative crap some dish out. When they freakin win!

You twisted the heck out of what I said. You are a real piece of work, aren't you?

As far as throwing games? Yeah there are some on here that all but advocate that.

All the whining about Randolph or Temple being the reason they won a game and they should have pulled them from the game.

Why pull them from the game?

So they wouldn't win! Isn't that pretty much advocating throwing a game.

You know, I put you on ignore once before because you called me a liar. If you're going to twist narratives like you do, I guess that is the best place for you. I am done with you.

You have a way of taking valid points people make and regurgitating them into something they are not. I'll continue to call you out on it whether I'm on ignore or not because they are just simply untrue. Don't expect to be able to take peoples well thought out opinions and spin them into saying we advocate throwing games and that we might not be able to handle it if our young players play so well that they win more games than expected. All of that is completely untrue.

You have a way of taking valid points people make and regurgitating them into something they are not. I'll continue to call you out on it whether I'm on ignore or not because they are just simply untrue. Don't expect to be able to take peoples well thought out opinions and spin them into saying we advocate throwing games and that we might not be able to handle it if our young players play so well that they win more games than expected. All of that is completely untrue.
Again with the regurgitating "people's well thought out opinions". I'm calling BS on that.

One last time, first of all, you said I said there would be people that did not want the young guys to play well. That is an absolute lie, I did not say that. Show me where I said that. You twisted what I said. You lied.

When Temple went off on his career game, several people stated that he should have been pulled from the game. Why did they want him pulled from the game? So they would lose! If that isn't as close to calling for them to throw the game, what is?

The constant complaints about playing Z-Bo leading to wins is in that same category, although it is debatable how much Z-Bo really adds with his porous defense.

Maybe I will continue to read your crap, if you are going to twist what I say and flat out lie about it. Once again, you have called me a liar, but you aren't backing it up. What did I lie about?

As much whining as goes on when the Kings win "on the backs of the vets" is it not a legitimate question as to whether there will be complaining if the Kings win with the young guys and knock them down in the draft? This whole LIN thing is about the obsession with the draft and losing games so as to get a better draft position. What does it matter if the position is lost because of the vets or young guys? Will there not still be the weeping and carrying on about lost opportunity? Am I not allowed to wonder how these same people will respond if the young players lead the Kings to wins and they lose draft position without being called a liar by the likes of you? When is wondering the same as lying?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
??? JCTNKINGFAN is doing a pretty good job and putting in a lot of work to keep this updated, especially when you consider he was kind of drafted into it.

I really don't have a clue what you're talking about here. I've reviewed the posts and don't see JCTNKINGFAN doing any spinning. It looks like you're creating a straw man argument AND derailing the thread into a personal confrontation between you and JCTNKINGFAN. Either way, if you two want to continue in that vein, do it via private conversation.

??? JCTNKINGFAN is doing a pretty good job and putting in a lot of work to keep this updated, especially when you consider he was kind of drafted into it.

I really don't have a clue what you're talking about here. I've reviewed the posts and don't see JCTNKINGFAN doing any spinning. It looks like you're creating a straw man argument AND derailing the thread into a personal confrontation between you and JCTNKINGFAN. Either way, if you two want to continue in that vein, do it via private conversation.
I would just as soon not have any interaction with ESP47. However, he has accused me of “twisting” “peoples well thought out opinions and spin”ing them, basically saying I am lying. He has also stated that “I'll continue to call you out on it”.

This is the second time he has made this accusation, earlier, he accused me of making it up that people were saying that only the young guys should play. Right after that we had a poll, and of the 42 respondents, 10 (23.8%) voted exactly this way. So apparently, I wasn’t lying about that, but he never addressed the fact that he called me a liar.

Now, he also twisted where I wondered how the dedicated LINNERS would respond if the young guys play well and the Kings win too many games into I said there would be people that did not want the young guys to play well. I did not say that.

I’ll stand by the “all but advocating throwing games” comment. People were extremely agitated when Temple went off in his career game and said he should have been pulled. There is also a lot of constant mumbling about Randolph playing too much leading to wins, although sometimes it is couched in language about a legitimate concern of taking time away from the young guys.

If he is going to continue to misrepresent what I say, lying about what I say, and “calling me out” on it, I will have to respond. I will not tolerate that. Otherwise, I am done with him, I do not respect his opinions. I had him on ignore, but I don’t like putting people on ignore, I like diverse opinions, so I relented and I am kind of glad I did, or I may not have known he was making accusations against me.

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings (Post-All-Star Break)

* In Win Column

Home stretch. Final third of the season starts tonight and there are 5 LIN teams in action.

Head-to-Head matchup Knicks at Magic. Magic are only % points out of the LIN Championship lead and need a LIN to keep pace. The Knicks championship hopes are slim and they can’t afford to add another win to their 23-game total.

Nets are at the Hornets. Nets are 1 game back. The game is on the Hornets home court so it will probably result in a LIN for the Nets, but the Hornets have been playing sub 500 ball (4-6 last 10) and the Nets have no real incentive to LIN as the pick belongs to Cleveland.

The 76ers are at the Bulls. The poster children for tanking are at the Bulls, but their tanking days should be well behind them, now. Bulls are 2 games back and can’t afford to fall any further back.

The Thunder at the Kings. Kings are still all but tied for first with 5 other teams. The corundum the Kings face is that if their development process for their young players starts to show progress, this could result in better play, more competitive games and lead to an unpredicted win or two as the season draws to a close which could cost them a top draft spot. That is no spin, just a realistic possibility.

It will be interesting to see how the young Kings perform against the Thunder after an 8-day layoff and with the return, hopefully, of Mason and Labissiere. I am also interested to see if Bogdanovic and Buddy’s outstanding performances re-energize them.

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings (2/22/2018)

Kings........18.....40......--...…0.690
Magic...... 18.....40..... --……0.690
Nets..........19.....41.....1….…0.683
Bulls.........20.....38.....2….…0.655
Knicks......24.....36.....6….…0.600

* In Win Column

Everybody that was in action, except the Nets, kept pace. However, none of the LINs were easy affairs.

It’s boring around here, same old tired arguments over and over.

Head-to-Head matchup Knicks at Magic. The Knicks, whose championship hopes are already slim, won a game they couldn’t afford to win, increasing their win total to 24. The Magic after a slow start, they led by 10 after a 41 point 1st quarter and by 6 at the half, remembered in the second half the urgency to lose the game and so kept pace remaining all but tied for the lead in the 6-team log jam at the top of the standings.

The Nets managed the LIN for whatever it is worth to them as they have no real incentive to LIN with their pick belonging to Cleveland.

The Bulls, pulled out the LIN against the 76ers, but apparently, much like the Kings, the Bulls do not seem to be playing to lose as they kept the game way too close, losing by 1 point in the final 5 seconds. Bulls remain 2 games back in the win column.

Kings almost blew the LIN, only saving grace was Westfield’s 3-pointer at the buzzer that kept the game from going into overtime. Kings fans rejoice in another loss, but complain bitterly that Joerger kept the game too close and just does not understand the concept of playing to lose.

He does not seem to understand that when the goal is something of value, it is ok to literally do whatever it takes to achieve that goal. The final result is all that matters, how you achieve that result is not important. His only concern should be coaching with one eye on the scoreboard assuring that the Kings achieve the LIN, all other coaching decisions should be secondary to that goal. He just doesn’t get it.

Tonight’s games:

Head-to-Head Mavs at Lakers. Interesting game after Cuban stuck his foot in his mouth with the tanking comment. It appears that Mavs players take exception to that opinion. If he is serious about tanking he may have to take action with the roster and if he does it remains to be seen how Silver will respond to that. Mavs may get Noel back tonight.

Lakers have shown no signs of tanking, so far, with 23 wins already, it may be too late for them anyway. They have lost 3 straight, but are 5-5 in their last 10. They hope to get Ball back tonight.

Hawks at Pacers, you would expect this to be a LIN for the Hawks, the Pacers should be favored at home under normal circumstances.

Cavs at Grizzlies, the newly rejuvenated Cavs should make short work of the Grizzlies, providing them with the LIN.

Clippers at Suns, Phoenix was really bad without Booker. He should be back tonight. Clippers should be favored, but Booker is the wild card and the Clippers are on a back-to-back after losing to the Warriors 134-127.

Last edited:
https://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS

This is interesting. Shows the expected year end record of the Kings based on current record, strength of schedule, and power ranking that Kings will come in at the #2 ping pong slot behind Phoenix. It will be interesting to see how much this prediction is off at the end of the season.
There’s no way Dallas and Atlanta win more games than us and Orlando isn’t either. We have 4-5 winnable games in March that our vets will play 30mpg in.

Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings (2/24/18)

Suns.........18.....43....--…..…0.704
Hawks.....18.....42.....--..……0.700
Mavs........18.....42......--...….0.700
Kings........18.....41......--...…0.695
Magic...... 18.....41..... --……0.695
Grizzlies....18....40......--.…0.690
Bulls.........20.....39.....2….…0.661
Knicks......24.....37.....6….…0.607
Lakers.......25.....34.....7….…0.576

* In Win Column

Sorry about late updates, still battling after effects of the flu. Apparently, it is really hard on old dogs.

Friday night’s games:

Head-to-Head Mavs at Lakers. Mavs were overpowered by Lakers in the first half and picked up the easy LIN.

Hawks at Pacers, Hawks were down by 17 at the half and picked up another easly LIN.

Cavs at Grizzlies, Cavs mauled Grizzlies. Ex-King George Hill played 34 minutes, scoring 18 points.

Clippers at Suns, Booker was back and played 37 minutes scoring 27 points, but Suns were still really bad, LINNING to the Clippers 128-117.

Saturday night’s games:

Again, all teams in action that are battling for the LIN championship maintained the status quo and picked up LINs.

Magic rode an 18-point half time deficit against the 76ers to the LIN.

Grizzlies picked up the easy LIN against the Heat.

Bulls led by 2 at the half, but were outscored by 14 in the 4th to pull away to the LIN against the Timberwolves.

Suns forgot how bad they were for 3 quarters leading by 10 after 3, but remembered again in the 4th where they were outscored 35-23 by the Trailblazers to achieve the LIN by 2 points. Booker scored 30.

Mavs rode a bad 1st quarter to the LIN against the Jazz.

Our own Kings are apparently living by the “Character Matters” motto and still refusing to take the unprincipled low road and just hand out wins to the opposition. They hung tough against the Lakers and had a chance to blow the LIN before losing in the final minute by 5.

One has to wonder if the fans of the other LIN teams, when they see the Kings losing in the final seconds, complain vociferously that the Kings are just tanking and handing out wins. It’s all in the way you perceive things, I guess.

There are no LIN teams in action today (Sunday 2/25)

Last edited:
Bizarro World Wide Sports NBA LIN Championship Standings (2/25/18)

Suns.........18.....43....--…..…0.704
Hawks.....18.....42.....--..……0.700
Mavs........18.....42......--...….0.700
Kings........18.....41......--...…0.695
Magic...... 18.....41..... --……0.695
Grizzlies....18....40......--.…0.690
Bulls.........20.....39.....2….…0.661
Knicks......24.....37.....6….…0.607
Lakers.......25.....34.....7….…0.576

* In Win Column

Tonight’s Action.

There is a full slate of LIN action tonight including two head-to-head games, so it is guaranteed that two LIN teams will pick up wins tonight, decreasing their LIN Championship odds.

Lakers at Hawks. Hawks have lost 3-straight on the road and now return home to face the Lakers, probably a LIN for the Hawks and a win pushes the Lakers further out of contention.

Bulls at Nets. Nets are favored, but have been in a tail spin the last month, so it may be a toss-up. Either way one of these teams will fall one game further back.

Grizzlies at Celtics, Celtics with the win, Grizzlies with the LIN. Grizzlies are a contender.

Warriors at Knicks, puh-leeze, Knicks with the LIN, but they still have 24 wins, tough to overcome.

Suns at Pelicans, maybe Booker goes off and takes Pelicans down, but more likely Suns with another LIN. Suns may be the favorite for the LIN Championship.

Magic at Thunder, Thunder are just a game and a half from being out of the playoffs, they need the win, Magic have lost 5 in a row.

Pacers at Mavs, Pacers looking for 5th straight win and the million dollar question is, while facing intense scrutiny from the NBA Commissioner’s office, will the Mavs continue to be intensely competitive in ridiculously noncompetitive ways?

Timberwolves at Kings, how will the Kings young guns fare with more playing time? Will hustle and heart lead to the King’s sacrificing a LIN for a win? Or will the inexperience of the Kings lead to another last second LIN?

gunks

Hall of Famer
You're a boss for keeping track, JCTNKINGFAN!

I'm really hoping for a lin against the T Wolves, all of our fellow 18 win teams look like they're gonna lose tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.