Bizarro Wide World of Sports Lin Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yay, here comes pick #9 or #10! Jason Thompson #2, come on in. Or better yet, PapaG? Yes please. The cyclical and obligatory 3-5 wins at the end of the season are back.

If this thread could return to the rather entertaining posts where we were actually "tracking" the tanking teams in the NBA that'd be nice.
Kings are 5-5 in their last 10, while Memphis has lost 19 straight. Imagine the Kings losing the past ten straight, we would be neck and neck with the Mammoth Grizzly Tank down the stretch here.

Meanwhile, the Knicks are sinking with purpose like a submarine. I still can’t tell if they are that bad without Kristaps or if it’s intentional, but I applaud the commitment to their submarine mission.

Stepping to the side, the Nets have been applauded by some on here as savvy for turning cap space into assets. They have no pick, but still can’t win games. It makes me wonder if they are trying to establish a tanking culture for the future when they have their pick again, so they know how to do it right when it counts. (Kidding of course, but maybe?)

Going to be an entertanking month ahead!

Every year it seems we win more games in March than we do in November.

I mean, it's almost like teams are resting/tanking and the games don't matter.

Watch it not carry over. I expect us to do marginally better for the first 20 games or so next year, but that's it.
Kings are 12 of 35 in Oct/NovDec and 11 of 34 in Jan/Feb/Mar , so pretty much same winning percentage so far in the second part of the season.
Given that teams are either resting for playoffs or tanking, having the same winning percentage would imply that Kings are trying less hard as well.

I guess they are not trying hard enough . But I'm not sure what trying harder to tank would mean for example in the win against Warriors. Bench Buddy after he caught fire? Pull Fox after he started making shots at the end of the 4th? Maybe more playing time for Bruno would have done the trick while not being just flat out disgusting (as benching Buddy would have been).

Yes, Warriors did not have key guys, but beating Warriors B team shows more progress than losing to a Warriors B team. Its a tough balance beam to walk I think. Just flat out trying to lose games does have unintended consequences, ie let see how good the Grizzlies will really be next 5 years. My guess is they will still be doing the right thing for the long term future of the franchise and tanking hard...

It is starting to look like we are a lock to win more games then most the losing competion we discussed a week ago. My focus has switched to roooting for Chicago and New York to win. Dallas plays Brooklyn today, guess I'll root for Dallas as they have a slightly better record.
It will be interesting if Phoenix will actuallly try at home vs a depleted, back to back, Warriors team, or if the lose for them is more important to help prevent bypassing another loser for lottery position.
This is a pathetic time of year to be a fan. Years ago I thought the Clippers should be elimated from the lottery for just being there year after year and stinking no mater how many chances they got to get it right. I'm not sure what to think now as Kings fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: I split the question/discussion of tanking/cheating into a new thread, hopefully allowing this thread to return to its original purpose - tracking the status of the teams in the running for top draft picks.

Last edited:
New York vs Chicago and Memphis vs New Jersey tonight. Big games for ping pong balls. I’m assuming we’re not catching the Grizzlies so I’ll be pulling for the Nets to get the W. The Bulls/Knicks game is a toss up. I guess I’ll root for a Bulls win.

gunks

Hall of Famer
And we get the lin! Good night for the tank. Every lin counts with the race to the bottom this close!

Fox, Buddy, and JJ played pretty well in the loss. The vets stunk up the joint. Not a bad L if I say so.

Good all around day for the LINs. We have 10 more games to go, 4 of which are against teams with worse records. 2 on the road, 2 at home. We currently are at 6th from the bottom, that might be hard to maintain.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Good all around day for the LINs. We have 10 more games to go, 4 of which are against teams with worse records. 2 on the road, 2 at home. We currently are at 6th from the bottom, that might be hard to maintain.
I've given up on top 5. Right now I'm just hoping we don't drop below 8.

No way any of the real tankers beat us. Maybe karma will help us out come lotto day.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
3-19.png

Apologies for being absent here for a few days - I had a bit of a distraction, including watching a ton of NCAA games, and then on Sunday there weren't any Lintenders playing, so I figured I'd start back up today.

We've now got nine teams eliminated from the playoffs, and wins by the Nets and Knicks shook things up a little bit today. The Suns are starting to really earn those lotto combos, but once they knock the Hornets out of contention for the top spot it may be a little while before they pick up any more.

Tomorrow there are four Lintenders in action. Orlando hosts the Raptors, the Mavericks travel to New Orleans, the Hawks go to Utah, and the Suns host the Pistons, who are on the second half of a road-road back-to-back - maybe we tired them out!

Magic conveniently go cold in the 4th quarter, only scoring 10 pts and squandering an 8 point lead to Toronto who was resting Demar DeRozen, securing the Lin.

Mavs holding their own late in the 3rd against the Pelicans.

And wouldn’t you know, Devin Booker’s wrist is still hurting too much to give it a go for the Suns against Detroit, I’m shocked.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
3-20.png

Four Lintenders were in action today, but only the Hawks managed to win - and that despite nearly throwing away a late lead with a Dennis Schroeder flagrant foul.

On Wednesday there will be three Lintenders in action - the three teams that are tied or just above the Kings in the win column. The Nets will host the Hornets - and with the Hornets at only 30 wins they may be ripe for a minor upset. In addition the Bulls will host the Nuggets and the Knicks will travel to Miami.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
3-21.png

And the Reality Check of the Evening goes to the Brooklyn Nets, who demonstrated that it's hard to tell the difference between a team that is tanking and a team that is just plain bad. And with the Nets being outscored by 18 in the fourth by the lowly Hornets, all four Tankathon teams lost today.

Thursday will be different, because of the five Lintenders in action, two play each other. That head-to-head matchup will take place in no other than the Golden 1 Center, with the Kings hosting the Hawks. The other three games: The Grizzlies travel to Charlotte, the Magic host the Sixers, and Mavericks host the Jazz.

At this point I'm hoping we still pick top 10...
If it's any consolation, here's the most likely situation where we fall as low as tied for 10th:
Charlotte lins all 10 of their remaining games, while Kings go 8-2 on theirs.

Ninth could definitely happen, but tenth is really a stretch.

If ever there was a game to put your worst foot forward this would be it. Good game to let Bruno show what he can do. Also, Bogs needs to be put on ice. Dont like hearing how his hamstrings are feeling. Thats your body telling you needs a rest. Going to be so pissed off if Bogs blows an achilles or tears a leg muscle after Kings dont shut him down following warning signs. Important as well to shut down Zbo so Fox and Skal are forced to shoulder a bigger burden on the offensive end for them help pin point where they need to work on their game going into offseason...take away Fox's ZBO training wheels for last 10 games

Status
Not open for further replies.