VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/96921.html

There they go ...
Washington hands Kings their ninth loss in 11 games
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 12:21 am PST Friday, December 22, 2006

If the Kings could do this every night, they might just be all right.

Before, during, and after the latest loss, fans received gifts -- televisions, navigational systems, DVD players -- as part of "Winter Whiteout" night. The Kings fans who have grown so tired of watching losing basketball -- and Thursday night's 126-119 loss to Washington made it nine losses in the past 11 games -- stayed until the end with good cheer, clapping their team-issued ThunderStix and forgetting how bad their team's plight has become.

There was much more to the latest loss than the box score, although for much of the first half, it looked as if a stat sheet might actually be in the Kings' favor by the end of the affair. They jumped out to a first-quarter lead just like coach Eric Musselman had so often talked about, up 31-24 when all things seemingly extinct -- ball movement, Brad Miller jumpers and an ultra-explosive Kevin Martin -- returned.

After leading 59-53 at halftime, however, a disastrous third quarter put the Kings back in the same spin cycle as before. The Wizards posted a 44-point quarter on the efforts of Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler (31 combined points in the period), and Washington led for good.

But all of it took place without Ron Artest on the bench, as the small forward informed the team approximately 30 minutes before tipoff that he would not be able to play. The injury cited was sore knees, a variation from the back injury that plagued Artest before and a mysterious development. To this point, there had been no word of a knee problem for Artest.

TNT's Craig Sager said in the postgame news conference that he asked the Kings' training staff before the game about Artest's knees, and was told they were not aware of knee problems and that Artest had not complained about them.

"Again, I think you've got to ask Ron and the medical people," Musselman said. "I don't know what else to say."

Artest did, in fact, address the media afterward, a rare occurrence for someone who didn't play because of injury. And before the pack of reporters got to him, he was asked if the knees truly were bothering him.

"Whatever they told you, that's what it is," he said. Once the masses arrived, he proceeded to give a detailed account of soreness that he said is in both knees and has "gone on a couple weeks now." Artest said he had "complained in practice a couple of times about my knees being sore."

Artest did not watch any of the game from the floor, and he said he was in the training room, icing his knees and "laying on the couch." Earlier in the day, he was at the morning shootaround, even taking shots after practice. He shot before the game, too, looking like his normal self before informing Musselman that he could not play. Because the word came so late, Musselman did not have time to activate reserve big man Maurice Taylor.

"As soon as I got done with the TNT people (in an interview), (trainer) Pete (Youngman) came in," Musselman said. "About 6:30. No, excuse me, about 7. No, it's not a lot of time to adjust. I feel for Mo Taylor."

Asked if he would play tonight against Denver, Artest said, "Probably not, probably not. I'll probably just rest."

A Kings spokesman said he was not sure if Artest would travel with the team to Denver.

"Things happen, so you just deal with it," Kings forward Corliss Williamson said. "We had a game plan, and when things like that happen at the last minute, you have to make a lot of adjustments."

Said Kings forward Kenny Thomas: "I don't want to say something I'll regret."

Martin -- returning from a one-game absence because of a sprained right ankle -- gave a valiant effort in adjusting, scoring a career-high 40 points and hitting 13 of 23 shots. Swingman John Salmons tied his career high with 23 points, but Washington's Jamison (33 points), Butler (23 points) and Gilbert Arenas (30 points) were too much to counter.

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at samick@sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
But all of it took place without Ron Artest on the bench, as the small forward informed the team approximately 30 minutes before tipoff that he would not be able to play. The injury cited was sore knees, a variation from the back injury that plagued Artest before and a mysterious development. To this point, there had been no word of a knee problem for Artest.

TNT's Craig Sager said in the postgame news conference that he asked the Kings' training staff before the game about Artest's knees, and was told they were not aware of knee problems and that Artest had not complained about them.

"Again, I think you've got to ask Ron and the medical people," Musselman said. "I don't know what else to say."

Artest did, in fact, address the media afterward, a rare occurrence for someone who didn't play because of injury. And before the pack of reporters got to him, he was asked if the knees truly were bothering him.

"Whatever they told you, that's what it is," he said. Once the masses arrived, he proceeded to give a detailed account of soreness that he said is in both knees and has "gone on a couple weeks now." Artest said he had "complained in practice a couple of times about my knees being sore."

Artest did not watch any of the game from the floor, and he said he was in the training room, icing his knees and "laying on the couch." Earlier in the day, he was at the morning shootaround, even taking shots after practice. He shot before the game, too, looking like his normal self before informing Musselman that he could not play. Because the word came so late, Musselman did not have time to activate reserve big man Maurice Taylor.

"As soon as I got done with the TNT people (in an interview), (trainer) Pete (Youngman) came in," Musselman said. "About 6:30. No, excuse me, about 7. No, it's not a lot of time to adjust. I feel for Mo Taylor."

Asked if he would play tonight against Denver, Artest said, "Probably not, probably not. I'll probably just rest."

A Kings spokesman said he was not sure if Artest would travel with the team to Denver.

"Things happen, so you just deal with it," Kings forward Corliss Williamson said. "We had a game plan, and when things like that happen at the last minute, you have to make a lot of adjustments."

This is NOT good. I think the ticking is getting louder...and I pray I'm wrong.

:(

This is NOT good. I think the ticking is getting louder...and I pray I'm wrong.

:(

As do I, but unfortunately I don't think we're wrong. The ticking has gotten excessively loud, and one can't help but think that this team could completely deconstruct at any time. I mean, we're really, really bad right now. Hell, anything could happen. :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You just did.

Tick. Tick. TICK. TICK.

Sigh. We've talked about it and talked about it., but if Ron is ready to go critical here, and it may be coming, then how can our front office NOT finally swing into a true rebuild?

You just did.

Tick. Tick. TICK. TICK.

Sigh. We've talked about it and talked about it., but if Ron is ready to go critical here, and it may be coming, then how can our front office NOT finally swing into a true rebuild?
Say what you will about KT not tall enough, not fast enough, not talented enough........you fill in the blanks. But weather he is the leader on this team or not quiting will not be tolerated. At least when he's out there he's going for broke and if he even smells a teamate not doing the same you will see attitude Ron Ron or the last guy on the bench. Somtimes an explosion is just what the doctor ordered either players get a new outlook on life or a trade is deemed neccessary may be exactly what this team needs!

My first thought when reading these two paragraphs was, and I quote:

"Uh oh."

I can understand Kenny's feelings here, I'd probably feel the same. Ron is starting to become a cancer. His teammates are obviously starting to turn against him. They think his *sore knees* are BS as well.

While I do understand Kenny's feelings, even that comment doesn't do anything good for the team. It will just make Ron think screw that guy. I don't need anyone, I just need me. The Kings have never been a place for cancer's. It will be interesting to see if he gets moved. I honestly like John Salmons's energy on the court a lot more at this point than Ron's.

Last edited:
I think Ron just doesn't want to be part of a losing team so he'll say his knee's are sore when they are just fine.

KT knows which is why he said he doesn't want to say something he'll regret...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I honestly like John Salmons's energy on the court a lot more at this point than Ron's.
2006-07 +/-:

Ron Artest +14.4
John Salmons -5.1

Just saying. John's a starter for a lottery team. Then we'd have 2 of those at the forward spots. Of course the way things are going everybody's a starter for a lottery team.

i dunno....

something doesn't seem to add up here. ron's mercurial in nature, as well as a sore loser, but he's not entirely stupid. why would he create some phantom knee injury when he's got a perfectly good back injury excuse already lined up? i guess i wouldn't put it past him, but it just seems weird to create knee issues out of thin air when his sore back has been an actual lingering problem all season long.

i dunno....

something doesn't seem to add up here. ron's mercurial in nature, as well as a sore loser, but he's not entirely stupid. why would he create some phantom knee injury when he's got a perfectly good back injury excuse already lined up? i guess i wouldn't put it past him, but it just seems weird to create knee issues out of thin air when his sore back has been an actual lingering problem all season long.
I think in a nut shell it was odd to everyone, thats the point.

Just talked about Ron Artest on PTI. The funny thing I noticed was that Dan Lebatard (filling in for Tony K.) said Artest is "TICK TICK TICKING" Wilbon said that Artest should be given the benefit of the doubt, Mike Bibby and Kevin Martin need to be the center of the offense and Artest can not be the centerpiece of the offense. And that if there are problems the Kings should have seen it coming and that is why they got him so cheap. Mentioned they should have gone out and got AI because their offense basically stinks.