BEE: They go two for two (Welcome to Miller time!)

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/11431694p-12345920c.html

They go two for two
Brad Miller leads the Kings with 26 points as they win the second game of a back-to-back set.

Alternate headline:
Welcome to Miller time!
The Kings center converts 7 of 8 from the field and has a team-high 26 points

By Martin McNeal - bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, November 15, 2004

It was hard to tell which team was playing on the second night of a back-to-back.

That didn't bode well for the quality of play, which was ragged much of this Sunday evening.

However, the Kings, who were playing for the second consecutive night, hardly cared. They made the most of their opportunities and a wounded Denver team to grab a 101-89 victory before a sellout crowd of 17,317 at Arco Arena.

Sacramento (3-4) has won two straight for the first time this season and had a nice start, no matter how ugly, to its five-game homestand. Overall, the Kings have won 16 straight home games against the Nuggets, who have not won at Arco since Jan. 7, 1997. And rarely have the Nuggets come close. They've lost by an average of 15.1 points per game.

For the second straight game, the Kings had three players score 20 points or more. They were led by center Brad Miller, who scored a season-high 26 points, tied Chris Webber for game-high rebounding honors with nine and added four assists in 34 minutes.

Miller made 7 of 8 field-goal attempts, including both of his three-point tries, as well as 10 of 11 free-throw attempts. The two made three-pointers tied a career high for Miller.

"I guess Brad is going to insist we put in some plays for his three-point shot," Kings coach Rick Adelman said, as if he already doesn't have a couple of those options in his playbook.

Miller received plenty of help in the scoring department from Peja Stojakovic, who battled Denver scorer Carmelo Anthony all night. Stojakovic scored 22 points and shot well all evening. The All-Star small forward made 8 of 17 from the field, including 4 of 8 from long distance, as well as his two free-throw attempts.

Adelman says he knew Stojakovic couldn't shoot as poorly as he had before breaking out Saturday night with 23 points in the Kings' road win against Phoenix. Stojakovic made 8 of 15 three-point attempts in the two-game set this weekend.

Third on the scoring list was Mike Bibby, who had 20 points and helped get the team off to an early lead with 10 of those coming in the first quarter when Sacramento scored only 22. That was huge, considering the Kings made just 7 of 22 field-goal attempts and Denver made just 6 of 23 and scored only 15 points.

Adelman said Denver was primed to be beaten early because it didn't show its normal spunk. Certainly, the Nuggets (2-5) lacked size and athleticism because center Marcus Camby and Nene were out with strained left hamstrings. Those absences also forced Jeff Bzdelik's approach, and he often was left with smaller players guarding much bigger players.

Whether it was because of switches or just matchups, 6-foot-3 Greg Buckner was caught on the 7-foot Miller, 6-7 Bryon Russell was defending 6-10 Chris Webber, and 6-3 Andre Miller had to defend the 6-10 Stojakovic.

However, Sacramento will be one of the last teams to sympathize with a team beset by injuries, with Doug Christie and Greg Ostertag still feeling their way after rehabilitating injuries during the preseason.

Christie, however, said he did not think about the painful plantar fasciitis that bothered him last season and again this September.

"Both of those guys still have a long way to go," Adelman said. "But I think the most important thing on this homestand is gain a rhythm and flow and learn what it is we have to do to win."

Miller, as usual, has a different perspective on back-to-back sets. "I like playing the second game of back-to-backs because whatever you did wrong the night before," he said, "you have a chance to work on and improve it."

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I opened my paper (the "state final" or early edition) of the Bee and saw "Welcome to Miller time!" as the banner headline on the front page of the Sports section, not the headline shown on the webpage. That's why I added it to the post above...

GO KINGS!!!

Don't you think he should shoot more threes though? I think he could be a really good three point shooter if he shot more (40-45%), hes a great shooter anyways and he scores most of his points off of his 15-17 foot jumpers so why not extend his game, I know the other teams defence would be in a frenzy!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
OptimusRhyme said:
Don't you think he should shoot more threes though? I think he could be a really good three point shooter if he shot more (40-45%), hes a great shooter anyways and he scores most of his points off of his 15-17 foot jumpers so why not extend his game, I know the other teams defence would be in a frenzy!
Why not just be happy that he can shoot any? I'm not sure, but I can't name ANY other centers in the league that can hit threes more than by accident...

Extend his game? He's a center. If anything, I'd like to see him improve a little on blocked shots and boards, but maybe that's just me...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Raef LaFrentz, old Sam Perkins etc.But those are NOT great role models. Your center is likely your biggest guy ont he floor. If he's 25 ft from the basket consistently he can't board, can't pass, can't do ajnything except be a really big Steve Kerr. Not exactly what you need out of a big guy.

Besides our system has always called for our big men to hover in the 15-18ft area to direct the offense.

well, it's nice to see a 3 out of anybody sometimes, and i do think there's some entertainment value in valde, or miller shooting 3s.
but hey, if they start doing that on regular basis, then who's gonna fill the hole in the center?
besides, we already have some really capable 3 point shooters on the outside.

nice to read

hopefully everyone can keep it going for the next four games of their homestand....to like RA said to establish a rhythm and flow and get use to winning

GO BRAD!!

GO KINGS!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Insomniacal Fan said:
I hope Miller scores more 3s this year than we see "Miller Time" used in a headline.
I don't like the use of "Miller Time" because it seems, much like K-Mart, to refer to someone else. Has Reggie been forgotten already?