Bee: Kings notes: Bibby ponders what if, what is, what could be

Kings notes: Bibby ponders what if, what is, what could be

By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/137598.html
Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C5

CLEVELAND -- Mike Bibby admits he has played the what-if game, picturing himself in a Cleveland Cavaliers uniform and wondering how he would fit on one of the Eastern Conference's top teams.

But much like the involved trade talks between the Kings and the Cavs before the Feb. 22 trade deadline, nothing came of the musings.

"You sit and look back, but you can only go so long (thinking about it)," Bibby said. "No one knew what was going to happen, (but there's) no need for me to think about it if it didn't happen."

He might have another chance, as the possibility clearly exists for the Kings and Cavs to revisit their discussion during the offseason. Unless Cavs rookie point guard Daniel Gibson develops at an astronomical rate, Cleveland general manager Danny Ferry will still be on the lookout for a point guard to pair with franchise face LeBron James.

Bibby also confirmed what his agent, David Falk, said in early February, that he was unlikely to opt out of a contract that has an early termination option after this season and a player option for the 2008-09 campaign and will pay him a combined $28 million.

"(I'll) probably take it," he said of the contract. "There's a lot of things come into (play), but I'm going to talk it over with my agent, work it out and see what's going to happen during the summer."

James, who because of back spasms was a late scratch from his team's 124-100 victory Tuesday night over the the Kings, said before the game that he liked Bibby's game.

The Cavs, though, have played well since standing pat at the trade deadline, having won seven of 10 games.

"(Bibby) is a very good point guard, definitely," James said. "I think things happen for a reason. We definitely have been on a high since the trade deadline. Guys are just mentally focused, focused to go out and play basketball, and we've been able to do it."

Martin mania -- There was no official count, but one of Kevin Martin's hometown folks estimated the support group at 2,500-4,000 on hand to watch the local boy done good.

Martin, who grew up in Zanesville, Ohio, did his part to give back, meeting with a third-grade basketball team from his hometown during the day at his hotel and offering signed jerseys for all. The team, which had a connection to

Martin's uncle, had floor seats, hotel accommodations and meals courtesy of a sponsor company.

Bibby also confirmed what his agent, David Falk, said in early February, that he was unlikely to opt out of a contract that has an early termination option after this season and a player option for the 2008-09 campaign and will pay him a combined $28 million.
Hopefully this will put an end to unrealistic talk about cleaning up in the FA market this summer.

I honestly don't think the Cavs are going to pursue Mike this off season.. They wanted him basically for this one stretch runof 2007 for this year's playoffs.. But watching Mike this season, and seeing a ton of Cavs games, I don't think Mike is someone that would fit in with their team for the long haul..I think their GM basically looked at it like this; they wanted him for this run, so forget about it in the summer.. It was a unique situation where the east is so wide open.. Mike going to them in the future does them no good now..

Larry Hughes has been playing PG since Gibson has been out, and the Cavs are 6-0 I believe.. The Cavs are one of the best defensive teams in the entire league..I think they mentioned on the broadcast yesterday the Cavs are top 5 defensively..

Personally, I think the Cavs are relieved they didn't make a move for Mike.. His defense doesn't fit in with what they're doing, plus he makes Hughes a SG in that offense, and Larry Hughes is at his best at PG..

Plus, we saw why Cavs fans were high on Pavlovic..I think they're going to build around LeBron, Sasha, Shannon Brown, Gibson and Varejao.. I don't see them giving up any of those guys for Mike or anyone..

I love Mike, but I think the Cavs made the smart move not trading for him, and it's one of those trades like they say: 'Some of the best trades you make are the ones you don't make'.. And the Cavs look dominant right now, so maybe it worked out for them after all..

I don't see us cleaning up this summer either..

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Hopefully this will put an end to unrealistic talk about cleaning up in the FA market this summer.

Fortunately for us the FA market for us is 2008. Nothing but crap this summer. May be albe to grab a decent guy at the MLE, maybe even a big man. But this team needs to look towards '08 with KG, J. O'neal, etc. possibly on the market.

Fortunately for us the FA market for us is 2008. Nothing but crap this summer. May be albe to grab a decent guy at the MLE, maybe even a big man. But this team needs to look towards '08 with KG, J. O'neal, etc. possibly on the market.
KG's out of out price range in a rebuild. he'll command some dollars...not as much as he's making now, but the kings aren't gonna want to throw it down on an aging superstar when the goal is to get younger and start over. jermaine o'neal is certainly an interesting proposition. i've had my doubts about his desire for the majority of his career thus far. he always seems like he's just on the cusp of superstardom. i dunno...i suppose pacers fans can tell you more about him than i could, but he's also gonna command some serious money, so the kings would have to be sure of how he'd fit into whatever team is beginning to take shape by next off season (and some general outline better be seen...this flailing about without direction is getting tiresome).

One thing that's often overlooked is that teams under the cap can also pick up chips for free, by helping other teams get sign+trades to work under the CBA. Think San Antonio in 2003 in the Indy/Sac Brad Miller deal. They basically got Hedo for nothing, simply because they were under the cap and could make the bigger trade work. Obviously, you won't get any major pieces that way, but getting a something productive for nothing doesn't always hurt.

Not unless Petrie is able to dump some salary. As of now, Kings have a committed salary of over $56M in 2008 (for only 8 players). Kevin shall be in the first year of a new contract, and shall add a hefty sum to this number. Even if we assume that we shall fill the rest of the roster with our draft picks and low end scrubs (translation: No MLE this year), we shall have a fairly high payroll in 2008. If we add an MLE level player this year, we might be in LT category in 2008.

Our major cap clears in 2009, when contracts for Bibby and Ron run out, and of course, 2010, when Miller, KT and Reef come off the books. I know it's a long time away:(