VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14254135p-15069823c.html

Feeling his pain
Adelman's family shares emotions of coaching
By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, May 11, 2006

Rick Adelman isn't the only one who is left reeling.

There's the domino effect of family, the people who live with the former Kings coach, who dine with him, who vacation with him, who lend an ear and shoulder in times of joy and tumult.

And it's not so much a financial hit that comes to the immediate forefront these days - Adelman is the first to remind that NBA coaches are paid incredibly well. It's the lingering emotional toll. The family cares about the keeper.

The NBA gig that brought milestones and anguish defines the Adelman clan - "Oh, you're the wife of the coach?" Not long after Adelman's last real moment of glory with the Kings - Kevin Martin's game-winner at the buzzer in Game 3 against the San Antonio Spurs - Adelman was flanked by some 10 family members in the back corridor at Arco Arena. All surrounded him, looked at him admiringly, relieved that his season was still alive. And after Game 6, his last as the Kings' coach, the first thing Adelman did was wave to his wife of 35 years, Mary Kay, in the stands.

She cried moments later, standing in a tunnel at Arco Arena, sensing the Kings tenure was over. And she fought back tears Wednesday at the team's practice facility for her husband's farewell news conference, flanked by son R.J. Adelman, the veteran Kings scout who suddenly finds himself unemployed, too.

What next for the coach who steered the Kings' fortunes for eight playoff seasons? He says he doesn't even know. Neither does the support crew.

"He'll be fine," Mary Kay said, preferring not to go on the record any further for fear of breaking down.

The last time Adelman wasn't coaching was a decade ago, after two miserable seasons with the Golden State Warriors. He sat out the 1997-98 season to recharge, highlighted by watching R.J. Adelman excel in his senior season of hoops at Willamette University in Salem, Ore.

"That was great, and he saw every game, and I'll always remember that," said the son, who added that he sensed his father was eager to jump back into coaching then.

Now? Adelman said he might not coach again. He might find that he won't even miss the grind. Then again, he said, he's curious to see how he feels in a week.

"I feel like I'm ready for (some time off)," Adelman said. "Make my own plans. Maybe travel. I'm going to miss it at some point, I think. What do I do now? I'll take a week, and then I'll be OK. I'll call 'Wetz' and see what he has to say. His golf game got a lot better when he got out."

"Wetz" is John Wetzel, Adelman's longtime assistant and friend who stepped down before last season and has been working on his tan ever since.

Adelman said he doesn't anticipate coaching next season, saying it wouldn't be "feasible" for the family. He has a son who is a senior-to-be in high school, meaning the family could remain in the Sacramento region. The Adelmans also might move back to Portland, Ore., where they also own a house.

Adelman, 59, said college jobs in Oregon always intrigue him, but he joked that he's too old for the recruiting pressure cooker now. He has long maintained that he would not bounce around the country for NBA assistant-coaching jobs - "I would never do that to my family," he said last week - but a head-coaching job could emerge as a real "adventure" someday, he said.

"Coaching, that's what I do," he said. "Today I'm not thinking about it. Maybe somewhere else. I'm partial to the West Coast. I'd much rather be on the West, to be near family. ... If I don't coach, I'd like to stay involved (in the NBA). Maybe (player) personnel. I think that would be interesting."

Elston Turner, Adelman's lead assistant the last two seasons, anticipates his friend will resurface in the NBA, as a coach, within a year or so.

"I think the time off will be good for him because this season took a real toll on him mentally," Turner said. "I see him stepping back and coming back. It's natural in this profession to miss it."

Adelman, with a little humor mixed in with reflection, said Ron Artest's gesture to sacrifice his salary to retain him still has intrigue.

"I'm still willing to take his salary," Adelman said. "I'll enjoy my summer. We'll be fine."

Next for Adelman

The Bee's Joe Davidson breaks down what Rick Adelman might do next season:

1. Trail Blazers front office - He's expressed interest in working in player personnel. If Paul Allen sells the Blazers, might Adelman get a call, with the franchise desperate for talent?

2. The prep ranks - Maybe dad assists daughter, stipend-free, as a shrewd offensive mind in Portland, where Kathy Adelman-Naro works as the girls coach at Jesuit High School. Adelman-Naro observed a lot of Kings practices, so he owes her one.

3. Media mogul - Fans don't always hear it, but Adelman has a marvelous sense of humor. With his obvious grasp of the game, he's ideal for radio gigs, studio work or working a game as an analyst. Great money to second-guess.

4. The college ranks - Adelman could have landed many Oregon college jobs over the years, and he had a great stint at Chemeketa Community College in Salem before embarking to the NBA. But would he want to beg for letters of intent?

5. Golf, golf, golf - The man loves to hit the links. Now he has plenty of time. A year off - period - might do wonders for a fellow who looks as if he could use a nice walk down the back nine and a hearty nap.

About the writer: The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.

VF21 said:
Next for Adelman

The Bee's Joe Davidson breaks down what Rick Adelman might do next season:

1. Trail Blazers front office - He's expressed interest in working in player personnel. If Paul Allen sells the Blazers, might Adelman get a call, with the franchise desperate for talent?

2. The prep ranks - Maybe dad assists daughter, stipend-free, as a shrewd offensive mind in Portland, where Kathy Adelman-Naro works as the girls coach at Jesuit High School. Adelman-Naro observed a lot of Kings practices, so he owes her one.

3. Media mogul - Fans don't always hear it, but Adelman has a marvelous sense of humor. With his obvious grasp of the game, he's ideal for radio gigs, studio work or working a game as an analyst. Great money to second-guess.

4. The college ranks - Adelman could have landed many Oregon college jobs over the years, and he had a great stint at Chemeketa Community College in Salem before embarking to the NBA. But would he want to beg for letters of intent?

5. Golf, golf, golf - The man loves to hit the links. Now he has plenty of time. A year off - period - might do wonders for a fellow who looks as if he could use a nice walk down the back nine and a hearty nap.

About the writer: The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.
i think that would be a cool gig for adelman...either radio or television. he's got intimate knowledge of the game, and there's no way he'd be more boring than a guy like hubie brown. ;)

that kind of spotlight ain't his thing, though. it sounds like he's a coach all the way. i hope he does take a year off, then steps in as head coach for a floundering team with some talent...and does wonders for them.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
He was cracking some good jokes with Grant and Mike about this yesterday - saying they should have a 3-man show with Rick and when they should get together for the guys to adapt to Rick's radio style.

I know I'd listen to any show he's on.