At least we always have the moral high ground! (2022-2023 L2M Report Thread)

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
2022 is the new 2002.
we can all be very proud of the fact that immediately after Samaki Walker's completely un-memorable but totally after the buzzer beater half time shot went in, in the game later decided by Horry's miracle off Vlade's tip, that should have put us up 3-1 the NBA instituted replay policy. The whole world has us to thank.

we can all be very proud of the fact that immediately after Samaki Walker's completely un-memorable but totally after the buzzer beater half time shot went in, in the game later decided by Horry's miracle off Vlade's tip, that should have put us up 3-1 the NBA instituted replay policy. The whole world has us to thank.
That and naming arenas after stupid corporations (Golden1 is ok by me, but Arco and Sleeptrain not so much)!

it does make you wonder why they release them.
I think it's great they release it. It does 2 things that are positive. First, it holds the refs/league accountable for missed calls. They are pretty transparent. I don't know if you've ever gone through those reports extensively but they are about as "pure" as you can be. They will say it's an incorrect call on an OOB throw-in if it came at 5.3 seconds instead of the allotted 5.

Second, I think it does show how many plays they actually do get right. Most of the time, those reports are running at 90%+ call accuracy. The reality is they are decent at what they do. Basketball is one of the hardest sports to officiate. I will admit that the overall level of officiating this year seems to have gone downhill a bit though.

I think it's great they release it. It does 2 things that are positive. First, it holds the refs/league accountable for missed calls. They are pretty transparent. I don't know if you've ever gone through those reports extensively but they are about as "pure" as you can be. They will say it's an incorrect call on an OOB throw-in if it came at 5.3 seconds instead of the allotted 5.

Second, I think it does show how many plays they actually do get right. Most of the time, those reports are running at 90%+ call accuracy. The reality is they are decent at what they do. Basketball is one of the hardest sports to officiate. I will admit that the overall level of officiating this year seems to have gone downhill a bit though.
I think the concern fans have is that are the 10% they get wrong indicates a skew? Fans are not the most rational people, and us old timers still have extremely unhappy memories. So, it's possible we are finding conspiracies where none exist.

However, it would not surprise me, if refs, as most humans, tend to prefer the home team and Heat over the Kings. Poor officiating is something we can all accept, as long as we feel that it's not biased.

That said, I don't think a day will ever come where fans, particularly from small markets, don't believe the refs/league shafted them on purpose.

I think the concern fans have is that are the 10% they get wrong indicates a skew? Fans are not the most rational people, and us old timers still have extremely unhappy memories. So, it's possible we are finding conspiracies where none exist.

However, it would not surprise me, if refs, as most humans, tend to prefer the home team and Heat over the Kings. Poor officiating is something we can all accept, as long as we feel that it's not biased.

That said, I don't think a day will ever come where fans, particularly from small markets, don't believe the refs/league shafted them on purpose.
There's literally one other team that got the shaft as much as we did in close finishes, the third team on the list had it happen HALF as many times.

I don't think its intentional. 2002 was intentional.

However, it's 100% a case of Kings suck, therefore Kings don't have stars. Star players get calls. Sucky players don't. It becomes self-fulfilling and perpetual to the point that over a 16 year playoff drought the Kings are off the charts in how badly they have gotten screwed.

There's literally one other team that got the shaft as much as we did in close finishes, the third team on the list had it happen HALF as many times.

I don't think its intentional. 2002 was intentional.

However, it's 100% a case of Kings suck, therefore Kings don't have stars. Star players get calls. Sucky players don't. It becomes self-fulfilling and perpetual to the point that over a 16 year playoff drought the Kings are off the charts in how badly they have gotten screwed.
Might as well rename the team "The Sacramento Generals!"

I must've missed the excitement. Oh well. Beers on me when we gather to celebrate the Wenbayama selection (for the Kings).