Article: Theus was a Maloofs Hire

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well well well...truly a shocker how it all went down:

Sacramento's salesman

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
June 20, 2007

As Jerry Tarkanian understood it, the Sacramento Kings' owners and general manager disagreed on the choice of the team's next head coach. The Maloofs wanted New Mexico State's Reggie Theus, and Geoff Petrie preferred Lakers assistant Brian Shaw.

"I think I got Reggie the job," Tarkanian said Wednesday afternoon.

Well, Joe Maloof wouldn't go that far, but he long has listened to Tark's counsel on issues of coaching. So Tarkanian pushed Maloof over the weekend and they prodded Petrie, and thus, there was Theus on a news conference dais saying of Shaw's failed candidacy, "You couldn't have picked a Laker."

Tark goes back a long way with the Maloofs on the Vegas strip and back longer with Theus, his first big recruit at UNLV in the 1970s. When it appeared that Shaw would be the Kings' choice over the weekend, Tark spent 45 minutes with Joe Maloof on the telephone Sunday night. Rick Pitino had long talks with Maloof and Petrie, too.

"Reggie called me Saturday after he had the second interview and thought he was right there," Tarkanian said. "But he was still the dark horse. Joe told me he, his brother and mother were really strong on Reggie, but Geoff still liked Shaw. I told Joe, 'This comes down to you and Gavin (Maloof) if you don't win. How come you aren't making the choice?' "

Because of how horribly the Eric Musselman hire turned out last season, the Maloofs wouldn't overrule Petrie on the coaching hire. Still, they stayed on Theus' side, and after another long talk with him Monday, Theus won Petrie over, too. "One of the points that Geoff really liked about Reggie was that he had been a head coach, and Brian Shaw and (Kings assistant) Scott Brooks hadn't," Joe Maloof said.

As much as a coach, the Kings need an ambassador to build a new arena, push season tickets and give the market a reason to fall back in love with a franchise that has lost a lot of standing in the community. Theus has worked hard to distance himself from the mold of the traditional used car salesman college coach doomed to NBA failure, insisting that his 13 years as a player separates him from the cautionary tales.

Of course, just because he recruited better players than the rest of the Western Athletic Conference at New Mexico State and clutched a clipboard for Rick Pitino at Louisville for two years, he's no a sure thing. The Kings aren't searching as much for an X's and O's star as a persona to take control of the franchise.

Theus talked a good game in his news conference, trashing Musselman's 33-victory season. It sure sounded cocky coming off a season of beating up on Boise State and San Jose State in the WAC, but the Maloofs don't seem to mind the arrogance. In fact, they kind of embrace it.

Through all of that, though, as much as people want to frame Theus as a Pitino protégé, he still is much more of a Tark guy. His UNLV roots probably prepare him best for the Kings job. Fifteen years ago, Tarkanian was hired to coach the Spurs. Management thought he could do something which was becoming increasingly hard for others to do – coach a petulant Rod Strickland. Except Strickland was traded in the preseason, and a 9-11 start got Tark fired in record time.

For Theus, the best chance he has of surviving this three-year, $6 million contract is winning over Ron Artest and finding a way to keep him a productive King. If Petrie has to trade Artest, the Kings won't come close to getting value. A Runnin' Rebel at heart, Theus needs to sharpen his Father Flanagan pedigree and reach Artest. Along the way, that means selling Artest and point guard Mike Bibby on coexistence on the court.

"I hope he brings that part of Tark with him," Joe Maloof said of Theus. "(Artest and Bibby) need to make sure they get along, or it's not going to work here. That's why you bring in a guy like Reggie to make that work. If we're going to be successful, those guys have to get along."

Whatever the issues on these dysfunctional Kings, Theus wanted the job badly. From New Mexico State, Sacramento was the one NBA destination that Theus ever had a chance in which to make this leap. His popularity as a past player and relationship with the Maloofs gave him a puncher's chance. What's more, the fact that Musselman was a non-former player who chafed the team also worked in Theus' favor. Musselman never won the respect of Artest, and without it, he lost the locker room. Except for Stan Van Gundy, a proven winner, most of this snaking two-month search centered on ball players.

Tark never has bought the idea that college coaches aren't capable of making a successful move to the pros, insisting, "Look at the (crap) teams most of us took over." He did warn Theus about that but understood that any resistance would be futile. Truth be told, Theus has nothing to lose. After he gets fired, he can go back to a better college job than he left at New Mexico State. For now, Reggie Theus is talking about the Western Conference playoffs next season.

"I love the Maloofs, but I don't think their team is very strong," Tarkanian said, "I told Reggie, 'The only way you can make this go is to get Artest, (Mike) Bibby and (Brad) Miller playing at an All-Star level again,' and I'm not sure they can be that anymore."

Theus didn't listen. He kept selling himself to Petrie, the way that Tark sold him to the Maloofs. This job is some leap from Las Cruces, but maybe not so far from Vegas.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-theus062007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

if it came down 2 shaw or reggie i would take reggie, makes me feel better now that we could of had brian shaw as a head coach still we should of gave terry porter consideration he would of been better then all other coachs we interviewed

And here we were getting bagged for even suggesting that Maloofs were making this decision :rolleyes:

Sometimes it pays for people to open their eyes rather than believe every thing that the PR bull**** artists are feeding them.

This screamed Maloofs hire to me from the very start and its now obvious that Reggie was their guy all along.

"Because of how horribly the Eric Musselman hire turned out last season, the Maloofs wouldn't overrule Petrie on the coaching hire. Still, they stayed on Theus' side, and after another long talk with him Monday, Theus won Petrie over, too."

My take on this is if Petrie wasn't eventually sold on Theus by Theus himself, we'd be talking about Shaw right now.

Call me crazy, but I still think Petrie made the final decision on this hire.

Last edited:
So the Sacramento Kings (an NBA team, I believe) were ultimately persuaded into their decision by a former college coach with recruiting scandals who got canned 20 games into his only NBA season? THIS guy's sales pitch is what put Theus over the top?

I'm at a loss for words.

Last edited:
So the Maloofs just buy into any bozo that gives them an inspiring speech? This sucks, I wanted Shaw so bad. He would've been perfect and my boy Petrie liked him. Well at least a positive is that Petrie is impressing me so far this offseason even though he didn't stick to his guns on this one. Dammit.

Last edited:
"Because of how horribly the Eric Musselman hire turned out last season, the Maloofs wouldn't overrule Petrie on the coaching hire. Still, they stayed on Theus' side, and after another long talk with him Monday, Theus won Petrie over, too."

My take on this is if Petrie wasn't eventually sold on Theus by Theus himself, we'd be talking about Shaw right now.

Call me crazy, but I still think Petrie made the final decision on this hire.
I agree with you, it really sounded like Petrie wanted Shaw, the Maloofs wanted Theus, but after meeting with him and talking to him Petrie was convinced to go with Theus. I really do believe that Petrie made the final call, if he wasn't sold on Theus I don't think he would be our coach.

S

sactownfan

of course reggie was the maloofs guy! wow! really! everyone here knows that. this is not like the maloofs picking Muss. Petrie was able to be much more active this time round and was no doubt the one that made the final call. The maloofs like Petrie and are not going to risk losing him by going over his head over and over agian. They screwed up everything last year and no way Petrie allows that to happen again.

Petrie chose Reggie. end of story. Shaw might have been his fav for most of the time but Reggie won him over like Muss won over the maloofs last year. Petrie probably just thought "wow would i really hire a laker?, come on"

of course reggie was the maloofs guy! wow! really! everyone here knows that. this is not like the maloofs picking Muss. Petrie was able to be much more active this time round and was no doubt the one that made the final call. The maloofs like Petrie and are not going to risk losing him by going over his head over and over agian. They screwed up everything last year and no way Petrie allows that to happen again.

Petrie chose Reggie. end of story. Shaw might have been his fav for most of the time but Reggie won him over like Muss won over the maloofs last year. Petrie probably just thought "wow would i really hire a laker?, come on"

I can't believe people think Petrie's thought process is so... simple. :(

Bricklayer

I rather doubt that. The following simple plot fits much easier than wishy washy Geoff getting stars in his eyes over a used car saleaman's self promotion, or of Geoff suddenly reverting to the level of a fan and giving a flying hoot about Lakerism:

Petrie wanted Shaw because he was a basketball guy. The Maloofs wanted Reggie, because he was like, pretty and stuff.

The Maloofs put on the full court press, Petrie saw which way the wind was blowing, and Geoff folded his cards rather than stand in direct defiance of the owners and risk his position over Shaw. Neat, tidy. Geoff ends up with misgivings, but gets on board and hopes for the best.

So the Sacramento Kings (an NBA team, I believe) were ultimately persuaded into their decision by a former college coach with recruiting scandals who got canned 20 games into his only NBA season? THIS guy's sales pitch is what put Theus over the top?

I'm at a loss for words.
Ah, but Tark is THE GOD of Las Vegas basketball. An absolute legend in those parts.

Last summer I was made slightly uncomfortable by the Maloof's apparent attachment to (UNLV's) Louis Amundson, and my discomfort grew when it seemed as if maybe Geoff felt forced to cut Justin Williams because Amundson wasn't worth keeping.

By the time I heard that (UNLV's) Theus was hired, I was getting distinctly creeped out.

And now we hear that (UNLV's) Tarkanian was in on the hiring process.

If we get Nick Fazekas this summer, I'm going to be very sad.

Ah, but Tark is THE GOD of Las Vegas basketball. An absolute legend in those parts.

Last summer I was made slightly uncomfortable by the Maloof's apparent attachment to (UNLV's) Louis Amundson, and my discomfort grew when it seemed as if maybe Geoff felt forced to cut Justin Williams because Amundson wasn't worth keeping.

By the time I heard that (UNLV's) Theus was hired, I was getting distinctly creeped out.

Fazekas doesnt play for UNLV.

Bricklayer

Different school. ;)

Glad to see that I was not the only one who got that impression about Admundson and Williams in training camp. Justin was clearly superior, but it seemed like he was never able to separate himself from Admundson, despite having the shotblocking ability we needed.

This one was a no brainer from the start. Coach Fuller's brilliant job coaching the Deering Tornadoes is evidence enough of the brilliance required to lead an NBA team. I mean seriously, what has Brian Shaw ever done to match that.

BTW - this guy should play center for the Kings.

Actually that's the scary thing, it seems to me that Tark definitely has some sway over the Maloofs, I wonder just how involved the Maloofs make him in their basketball decisions.

Fazekas doesnt play for UNLV.
I know. I don't think there's anyone on the UNLV roster who bothered to enter the draft this year -- there's certainly nobody who'd even make the bottom of the second round.

I'm just burned out on the sudden rash of Nevada connections.

Last edited:
Glad to see that I was not the only one who got that impression about Admundson and Williams in training camp. Justin was clearly superior, but it seemed like he was never able to separate himself from Admundson, despite having the shotblocking ability we needed.
Justin impressed me as the most perfect match for our needs that we had any realistic shot at getting, and at exactly what we could afford to pay. Therefore cutting him meant one of two things: (1) Petrie had totally lost it, or (2) weird politics. While (1) didn't seem impossible, (2) seemed very much like business as usual.

Why does the media keep trying to make an issue out of this. At the press conference and on the radio yesterday evening Petrie made it clear that he and the Maloofs were 100% on board with this hire.

Petrie has not distanced himself from this hiring at ALL! Were the Maloofs involved?? Of course they were, they are the friggin owners. The media really needs to stop trying to make an issue out of a non-issue.

Bricklayer

Why does the media keep trying to make an issue out of this. At the press conference and on the radio yesterday evening Petrie made it clear that he and the Maloofs were 100% on board with this hire.

Petrie has not distanced himself from this hiring at ALL! Were the Maloofs involved?? Of course they were, they are the friggin owners.

The EXACT same sentiments could have been, and I'm quite sure were, made about Muss last year. Saying Petrie has not distanced himself is a straw man. Obviously as the GM he is never going to distance himself from a coach being hired, no matter who it is. The day he does choose to do so, will be the day he has one foot out the door.

And the Maloofs were involved last year too. Mama and Gavin and Joe and the whole gang. Apparently still have not, and presumably with their egos, never will figure out that if their GM says that so and so is the best basketball hire, they should say "ok". Not sit there and lsiten as some old crook croaks in their ears about how they should be making all the decisions.

Not totally sure what the big deal is with any of this.

If the choice was between Reggie and Brian Shaw I really don't fault them for going with Reggie. I think Petrie liked Shaw simply because he had been an Assistant for 3 years for the Lakers but does that really prepare him more than being a head coach in College??? Maybe but I don't see it as being this overriding thing that vault's him over and above another candidate.

Put Reggie with a good Top Assistant with alot of experience in the NBA and he will be fine.

The EXACT same sentiments could have been, and I'm quite sure were, made about Muss last year. Saying Petrie has not distanced himself is a straw man. Obviously as the GM he is never going to distance himself from a coach being hired, no matter who it is. The day he does choose to do so, will be the day he has one foot out the door.

And the Maloofs were involved last year too. Mama and Gavin and Joe and the whole gang. Apparently still have not, and presumably with their egos, never will figure out that if their GM says that so and so is the best basketball hire, they should say "ok". Not sit there and lsiten as some old crook croaks in their ears about how they should be making all the decisions.
I completely disagree that Petrie will always say he was on board. Last year he did not say he wasn't on board, but he did say that this was Joe and Gavin's hire. It's talked about numerous time how Petrie distinctly distanced himself from the hire.

This year he has not said that. He said this was the hire we all selected and we are all in 100% agreeance, which is almost an exact quote from botht he press conference and Grant and Miike's interview. It is completely different.

Everyone just wants to be dramatic about this. Petrie answered Grant straight about there being any kind of tension between ownership and him, and he says I could see if a GM wasn't able to his job and the owners were in the way too much how that might happen, but we just haven't had that here.

Last edited:
When did Brian Shaw become the next Avery Johnson? We are just trying to fill in the gaps in missing information on this. As fans tend to do, they go polarized when faced with choices. Clearly both Theus and Shaw were the final two. If Petrie did favor Shaw over Theus, I would guess it's because Shaw has worked the NBA more currently than Reggie. Petrie even mentioned that Reggie had some catching up to do in that area. But after that I don't see where Shaw has any huge advantage over Theus.

Bricklayer

When did Brian Shaw become the next Avery Johnson? We are just trying to fill in the gaps in missing information on this. As fans tend to do, they go polarized when faced with choices. Clearly both Theus and Shaw were the final two. If Petrie did favor Shaw over Theus, I would guess it's because Shaw has worked the NBA more currently than Reggie. Petrie even mentioned that Reggie had some catching up to do in that area. But after that I don't see where Shaw has any huge advantage over Theus.
I suspect you may be unaware of the regard Shaw is held in as an upcoming assistant -- with Iavaroni out of the way may be the #1 most eligible bachelor amongst the NBA's assistants now. He might in fact BE Avery Johnson (always a who knows factor of course).

But regardless, that's missing the point. Its the process that has been foul once again here, whatever the outcome. We've got Mommy Maloof with more influence over hiring coaches than Geoff Petrie. And frighteningly, Tark the freaking Loanshark crouched back in the shadows somewhere offering sage advice.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"I hope he brings that part of Tark with him," Joe Maloof said of Theus. "(Artest and Bibby) need to make sure they get along, or it's not going to work here. That's why you bring in a guy like Reggie to make that work. If we're going to be successful, those guys have to get along."
Just another quote that troubles me. The question seems to be: Do you, or don't you believe them when they talk about these guys being on the same team?

I hope it's pure and simple BS.

It does not require superior intellect to observe that the Maloof brothers made this hiring decision. Reggie Theus is a Maloof sort of person.

I suspect that Geoff Petrie was not willing to make a huge issue of this dubious choice for two reasons. First, he probably likes his current income and benefits. Secondly, he knows that the Kings will still have a disappointing team at the end of the 2007-2008 season. Maybe he is not willing to force a hiring decision that might draw fire when it results in further damage to the Kings.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Why argue strenuously for an apparent lost cause. If the upcoming season goes like most of us think it will, the Maloofs will again be clutching a flaming bag of dog excrement.

Geoff Petrie is not Don Quitote.

Along the way, that means selling Artest and point guard Mike Bibby on coexistence on the court.

Is Joe implying that Mike and Artest didn't get along last season? Did they realize that they had a great coach in Adelman who knew how to divide the leadership and make sure there wasn't a problem with those two...Anyway that's in the past, can't really change it.

Plus, I don't think it's going to work out with those two on the floor together. We're not going to improve if one of those two stay. I hope we don't get rid of them for change or a spare part that has to be thrown out in a year or two.