Aren't you alarmed....

at how this organization/front office, old and new, handles trading their players? It seems as though they don't treat the players with the respect they deserve. This is not just about Demarcus and has gone back to many many players over the years. J Will, C Webb, K Mart just off the top of my head. I know people will mention others but it's late and I can't think straight after such an exhausting night as a Kings fan.

What is it about the Kings organization that makes them incapable of handing a trade the right way?

at how this organization/front office, old and new, handles trading their players? It seems as though they don't treat the players with the respect they deserve. This is not just about Demarcus and has gone back to many many players over the years. J Will, C Webb, K Mart just off the top of my head. I know people will mention others but it's late and I can't think straight after such an exhausting night as a Kings fan.

What is it about the Kings organization that makes them incapable of handing a trade the right way?
I don't have a problem with how the trade went down. All these player agents found suddenly have ethics or something. It's business.

As far as Cousins being traded this year, how would you have done it differently? I think they wanted to give it one more year. Everyone said last year "if things aren't better by the trade deadline we trade him". Well after what happened a couple of weeks ago they probably decided to trade him. But if you tell Cousins you are trading him, what would he do? They waited until the break and tried to find the best offer they could.

https://mobile.twitter.com/asd/status/833571334340956160

Let's not pretend it's a non-issue. Kings already had a bad reputation and it's gotten even worse now...they are the laughing stock of the sports world, it's not even questionable. I don't trust Vivek and Vlade to competently run things...I think they will have to be made to step aside before this franchise will ever be taken seriously again.

As far as Cousins being traded this year, how would you have done it differently? I think they wanted to give it one more year. Everyone said last year "if things aren't better by the trade deadline we trade him". Well after what happened a couple of weeks ago they probably decided to trade him. But if you tell Cousins you are trading him, what would he do? They waited until the break and tried to find the best offer they could.
They didn't take the best offer though...the Suns offer was better and they turned it down because they were scared to trade him in the same division.

Well for starters I wouldn't have swore up and down I was going to do one thing and then turn around and do the opposite.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please do not turn every thread into a discussion of Cousins. This thread is about the front office and their abysmal record in trades. Two posts relating to Cousins have been deleted.

Please do not turn every thread into a discussion of Cousins. This thread is about the front office and their abysmal record in trades. Two posts relating to Cousins have been deleted.
Thank you! Yes this thread is about how poorly the front office, both long gone and unfortunately still here, handle the trading of players. Yes it's a business but there is a right way to do business and then there's the Kings way.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
https://mobile.twitter.com/asd/status/833571334340956160

Let's not pretend it's a non-issue. Kings already had a bad reputation and it's gotten even worse now...they are the laughing stock of the sports world, it's not even questionable. I don't trust Vivek and Vlade to competently run things...I think they will have to be made to step aside before this franchise will ever be taken seriously again.
I don't know what hurt me worse tonight...the trade or the fact that Vlade lied. I don't care if it's a business. VLADE LIED and while that might be okay with a lot of people, it's not okay with me. I joined my first Kings forum back in 1999 and chose the name vladefan21 because of my admiration for Vlade Divac. When Vlade left and played his last year with the Not Kings, I shortened my name to VF21 because I still respected him as a player and a human being. That didn't change...until tonight.

I have no faith in Vlade and I have no faith in Vivek. They are now nothing to me. I'd change my user name but only the board owner can do that, and I think he's been abducted by aliens or something.

I hope this works out, but I have no faith that it will. I will enjoy watching #BoogieNTheBrow destroy the Warriors in the playoffs.

You should have let that post stay...I wasted some time looking up his dumb raw plus minus stat that he didn't provide a link to and discovered AD and Porzingis were both worse...looks like something that's totally dependent on the lineup. Buddy Hield is one of the worst players in the NBA according to that stat.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You should have let that post stay...I wasted some time looking up his dumb raw plus minus stat that he didn't provide a link to and discovered AD and Porzingis were both worse...looks like something that's totally dependent on the lineup. Buddy Hield is one of the worst players in the NBA according to that stat.
Sorry you wasted your time. Not sorry I deleted the post.

EDIT: I've moved his post into its own thread. Feel free to comment there.

Last edited:
Fans should be alarmed. Over the next few weeks, you'll hear countless times that the Kings couldn't win with Cousins but nothing equivalent from the local shills that the same is true of Vivek.

Many here will turn to same people that justified the last 3 years of moves because the Kings wanted "to be good this season to open the new building" for comfort. Its a rudderless franchise propped up by a fanbase that has accepted nonsense as plans for a decade.

Folks might want to consider getting some fresh air on their Kings analysis or strap in for more of the same.

I just don't see how the way we dealt with the situation won't be anything but a black eye on the franchise for trying to draw talent to Sac as if they needed any extra difficulties. We just tossed the most loyal guy in the entire NBA to the curb for nothing and basically told him to not bother getting on the plane. Makes me sick to my stomach.

K

KingMilz

I just don't see how the way we dealt with the situation won't be anything but a black eye on the franchise for trying to draw talent to Sac as if they needed any extra difficulties. We just tossed the most loyal guy in the entire NBA to the curb for nothing and basically told him to not bother getting on the plane. Makes me sick to my stomach.
Maybe part of the deal was not paying for the plane tickets

J Will got us Bibby

Webber should have retired a King, but he was done when he traded him and team was trying to stay competive.

K Mart has beginning of the Maloof fire sale era if I remember correctly, and he was always a one trick (lean-in Harden-style foul seeker) pony and hasn't done much since, anyhow.

Trading a 30/10/5 center in his prime for next to nothing might be the ONLY thing that makes Webber for K9 look good. And that is incredibly sad. This is gross incompetence. The Zing Brothers were horrible towards the end but they at least let GP do his thing before they went broke. Vivek is actively stupid and meddlesome. No comparison.

I don't know what hurt me worse tonight...the trade or the fact that Vlade lied. I don't care if it's a business. VLADE LIED and while that might be okay with a lot of people, it's not okay with me. I joined my first Kings forum back in 1999 and chose the name vladefan21 because of my admiration for Vlade Divac. When Vlade left and played his last year with the Not Kings, I shortened my name to VF21 because I still respected him as a player and a human being. That didn't change...until tonight.

I have no faith in Vlade and I have no faith in Vivek. They are now nothing to me. I'd change my user name but only the board owner can do that, and I think he's been abducted by aliens or something.

I hope this works out, but I have no faith that it will. I will enjoy watching #BoogieNTheBrow destroy the Warriors in the playoffs.

I have to say that I was a bit surprised by that. Don't get me wrong, I know GMs often say they aren't trading so and so and then trade them. But Vlade supposedly met with Cousins and his agents to tell them face to face that he won't be traded and will give him the max $209 million extension.

This led Cousins to go out of his way to reciprocate the love and do multiple interviews where he professed his loyalty for the Kings and the city of Sacramento. I wonder if Vlade and Vivek feels at least a little bad about doing that. Damn it, there is something about looking a man in their eyes and telling them one thing and then doing another. Couldn't Vlade just call Boogie to tell him he won't be traded instead of telling him in a face to face meeting. It's one thing for GM's to call or text to assure players. It's another when you host a meeting to specifically talk about that in person.

This one hurts more than any trade because we as long time Kings fans want to believe that Vlade is that man of integrity and great leader. I wonder how will this further affect the team's respectability around the league.

I'm alarmed that since the ownership change, this group has pretty much gotten it as wrong as you possibly can. And each time you start to think that perhaps they started to turn the tide, they do something like this.

This is the Michael Malone situation x100. Remember when we thought "hey, this team is actually playing some defense and has a coach the star player connects with"? Nope. Kings couldn't continue with that and nuked it. Now we get another coach the star player seems to get along well with and things are looking like they are going on an upswing (sans injuries) now here's a more powerful nuke dropped on us.

And why? For what reason??

And before anybody defends this overwhelmingly lop-sided trade that most every non-Kings fan/media person is mocking quite harshly, please list the trades, draft selections or free agent acquisitions that this owner/GM has gotten right?

Everybody hates the pick swap trade, which looks worse and worse by the day. And now we have this (I don't even know how to refer to it) transaction. Even those those disliked Boogie and were open to a trade can't defend what the timing of it or what they got in return.

Perhaps not so oddly, a small market that has historically had trouble retaining or attracting players decided to jettison the 3 players that wanted to be in Sacramento most. Boogie, Casspi and Matt Barnes. So much for taking advantage of loyalty.

Lastly, I defended Vlade quite often the first 6 months to year after he took over as GM because a lot of the things the franchise was being mocked for didn't occur with him a the helm. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Even gave him a pass on the pick swap fiasco. But after pulling off the PDA-esque tactic of purposely misleading the team's marquee player and his agent or going back on his word (you decide which is worse), the man has lost me.

OMG, i have visions of Matt Millen taking over as GM of the Detroit Lions.

For those who don't know, Matt Millen was a good player who was hired to run the Detroit Lions. He then proceeded to absolutely DECIMATE the Lions. He ruined them for a decade. They were a sports laughing stock.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And before anybody defends this overwhelmingly lop-sided trade that most every non-Kings fan/media person is mocking quite harshly, please list the trades, draft selections or free agent acquisitions that this owner/GM has gotten right?
Not to defend this trade or Vlade's tenure in general, but I can come up with this list, at least:
1) Belinelli for the #20 pick was definitely the right call.
2) Signing Garrett Temple was definitely the right call.
3) Signing Lawson on the cheap was definitely the right call.
4) Taking WCS at #6 is starting to look like it was a pretty good decision.
6) Signing Koufos to a reasonable contract was a good decision.
7) Swapping the #8 (chance at Chriss) for #13, #28, and Bogdanovic was probably the right call
8) Taking Malachi Richardson at #20 looks pretty decent

Skal at #29 might turn out to be a good play, and hey, so might Papa at #13, though I wouldn't count on it.

I think the problem is that for all of these good calls, there are two huge unimaginably massive bad calls (cap space trade, Cousins trade) that overwhelm the smaller good moves. But I actually stand behind all 8 of those moves listed above.

Not to defend this trade or Vlade's tenure in general, but I can come up with this list, at least:
7) Swapping the #8 (chance at Chriss) for #13, #28, and Bogdanovic was probably the right call

Skal at #29 might turn out to be a good play, and hey, so might Papa at #13, though I wouldn't count on it.

I think the problem is that for all of these good calls, there are two huge unimaginably massive bad calls (cap space trade, Cousins trade) that overwhelm the smaller good moves. But I actually stand behind all 8 of those moves listed above.
Yes, I killed two guys ... but I was really nice to several other people isn't much of a defense. If the guy wasn't a Kings legend, he wouldn't get that much rope. Which is exactly why Vivek hired and retained him.

Touche. You could probably add hiring Dave Joeger to that list too.

I asked the question, you rose to the challenge which is more than I can say for Vlade and Vivek.

To Larry David's point, after winning 8 or 9 small pots in a game of no-limit poker, the Kings just went all-in on a hand in which they are already drawing dead.

What makes this trade unimaginable is that they already sabotaged their ability to secure top picks. It was bad enough that they had no shot at landing a top pick with their own selection due to the swap with Philly, but how on earth did they agree to a top 3 protected w/ New Orleans?

Dell Demps just secured legendary status with this one move.

Vivek and his potential meddling is by far the worst aspect of our franchise. Vlade should be in complete control of player personal and empowered to do his job like any GM in pro sports. I don't believe this is the case, however. Vivek should not be involved in any player decisions. None.

This seems so obvious to me. What other pro sports franchises have such an involved owner? Not many, and sure all hell none of the winning organizations.