Arco Game Report

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12054062p-12924170c.html

Arco Game Report

Sound bite

Published 2:15 am PST Sunday, January 16, 2005

"Watching Peja shoot made me think it was OK to shoot, too."
Cuttino Mobley on his 14 shots from all angles in his Kings debut

Notes
Evans: My worst, scariest injury

Just when Maurice Evans was beginning to relish his new role of starting Kings guard, he nearly had his head cracked wide open.

Evans would have made his second successive start Saturday night had he not taken a nasty spill on a hard foul against the Utah Jazz on Thursday night. Against the Los Angeles Clippers, Evans came off the bench -he was easy to spot since he had a massive bandage on the side of his head, courtesy of 12 stitches from hitting the Arco Arena floor days earlier.

"What really hurts, though, are my ribs," Evans said. "I was definitely dazed, like a punch-drunk fighter."

Evans said it was easily the worst - and scariest - injury of his career. He also said the fall made him recall exactly why he didn't play football after his freshman year in high school. And Thursday night, he knew his parents - Cathy and George Evans - were shouting at their television set at the sight of their son bleeding on the floor.

"My mom was ready to come down here to check on me or to go to Utah (and check out Boozer)," Evans grinned.

Different paths

They were co-MVPs of the 1991 McDonald's All-Star game, Chris Webber and Rick Brunson.

Both went on to college stardom, Webber at Michigan and Brunson at Temple, but their pro journeys have been decidedly different. Webber has been an All-Star with lucrative contracts. The Clippers are Brunson's sixth NBA team, and he didn't land his first guaranteed contract until last week.

And as always, Webber garnered higher numbers with 36 points. Brunson had four.

Oh, the humanity

The No. 1 highlight of the week on ESPN was - gulp - Greg Ostertag modeling shorts that look much better on the Royal Court dancer who dared him to strut his stuff during a Kings fan event Wednesday night at Arco.

Said Webber: "I hope no kids saw that. That would ruin my whole childhood. I saw it up close, a 7-foot man, 300-some pounds with that on is not cute."

Retro night

Six players from the Kings' first Sacramento team - Mark Olberding, LaSalle Thompson, Joe Kleine, Otis Thorpe, Rich Kelley and Carl Henry - were introduced at halftime and presented plaques commemorating the franchise's 20 seasons. Bill Jones, the beloved former trainer, was also on hand.

Kleine said his four kids in Arkansas still can't get over those tight-uniformed powder-blue shorts.

"They ask me why I played in my underwear," he said.

- Joe Davidson

King for the day

CHRIS WEBBER

In facing the team against which he made his knee surgery comeback last March, Webber went for 36 points, 10 rebounds and six assists. He made 16 of 25 shots, including six straight at one point.

Question posed

HOW IN THE NAME OF BILL RUSSELL DID THE KINGS ALLOW CHRIS KAMAN TO ABUSE THEM LIKE THIS?

Kaman, you might recall, is hardly an All-Star, but he is a good athlete. And good athletes can sometimes give the Kings fits. The floppy-haired Clippers center, showing an aggressive attitude and quick-jumping skills, tossed in a career-high 23 points and pulled down seven rebounds. He scored at will - on jumpers, jump hooks, nifty spin moves and slam-dunk follow-ups. And he'll get another shot against the Kings on Monday. - Joe Davidson

Big number

Consecutive wins over the Clippers at Arco Arena, Los Angeles' longest drought in any opposing building

Last edited: