Amick on Dumars departure and coaching search

Good news / bad news

good news that Vivek rejected Dumars’ bid for more power and to take power from Monte. Continuation of process of giving Monte full control without drama

bad news of Vivek suddenly injecting himself into the interview process

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I’ll just summarize what’s said but Amick says Dumars left because his contract was up and he wanted more power in the front office and to have Monte report directly to him. Vivek balked and Dumars took the NBA job.
Dumars was apparently in on the first round of interviews while Vivek was not but this second round of interviews will be done with Vivek in the room with Monte and Wilcox.

Clifford apparently interviewed yesterday and today while Mark Jackson comes next and Brown will interview later in the week.
In other words, I have no idea where the Marc Stein report came from

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Good news / bad news

good news that Vivek rejected Dumars’ bid for more power and to take power from Monte. Continuation of process of giving Monte full control without drama

bad news of Vivek suddenly injecting himself into the interview process
To be fair, it’s not entirely unusual for an owner to interview the final candidates for a head coaching job. It is unusual for someone to leak that he likes a particular candidate before he even interviews him though.

kb02

All-Star
I’ll just summarize what’s said but Amick says Dumars left because his contract was up and he wanted more power in the front office and to have Monte report directly to him. Vivek balked and Dumars took the NBA job.
Dumars was apparently in on the first round of interviews while Vivek was not but this second round of interviews will be done with Vivek in the room with Monte and Wilcox.

Clifford apparently interviewed yesterday and today while Mark Jackson comes next and Brown will interview later in the week.
Even simpler translation: Vivek continues to want everyone reporting to him while Dumars wanted to be the only person reporting to Vivek.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Even simpler translation: Vivek continues to want everyone reporting to him while Dumars wanted to be the only person reporting to Vivek.
I don’t think it’s that simple though. I think Dumars probably did have some say on basketball matters over the last couple of years while also doing the real estate and business ops stuff he was obliged to do in his CSO role but he wanted to step into a full basketball operations executive role with the team before Vivek said no (hopefully on the grounds of the team already having a general manager in charge of those things).

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer

Lord this is so frustrating. So as expected, we have no idea what Dumars had his hand in, but he clearly had some sort of organizational influence/power. It wasn't fully in Monte's hands (until now).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lord this is so frustrating. So as expected, we have no idea what Dumars had his hand in, but he clearly had some sort of organizational influence/power. It wasn't fully in Monte's hands (until now).
Except now Vivek might have more power on the basketball side now that the Dumars buffer isn’t there between he and the front office.

It’s gonna be Vivek until the F/O starts making smarter decisions. Sure you could speculate that Vivek got better as a basketball owner but let‘s be real, he’s never gonna get better lol

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I still would assume that Dumars wanted to run a team without kick in the *** from the media when he tanked another team from the FO. He wanted Vlade/Monte/whoever to take the lashing while basically running it from the shadows. As soon as he came in with "this won't change anything with Vlade" then it did, all benefit of the doubt was gone.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Finally. Unless Dumars was actually the only sane one the entire time. Either way a consistent direction can be achieved.
There's definitely a very small reason to fear that he was a buffer between Vivek and the GM office but I feel like it's at least 2:1 the other way that he was interfering with Monte and Wilcox doing their thing.

Finally. Unless Dumars was actually the only sane one the entire time. Either way a consistent direction can be achieved.
Regardless, there needs to be no question who is calling the shots. While it still may (and likely) be Vivek, we want McNair to be the last stop on all these decisions; so we know who to hold responsible if it goes wrong (or right! somehow..)

No more Dumars, no more Brandon Williams no more keeping a lame-duck coach from a previous GM into the new regime. Hopefully this starts some consistency within the Kings franchise to do things in the proper order.

Regardless, there needs to be no question who is calling the shots. While it still may (and likely) be Vivek, we want McNair to be the last stop on all these decisions; so we know who to hold responsible if it goes wrong (or right! somehow..)

No more Dumars, no more Brandon Williams no more keeping a lame-duck coach from a previous GM into the new regime. Hopefully this starts some consistency within the Kings franchise to do things in the proper order.
The one thing we can say about Dumars is that he did not engage in any Brandon Williams / PDA / George Karl / Cousins / Joerger / whoever politicking infighting and backstabbing. At least not publicly. If there was intrigue it was kept quiet, altho maybe he leaked the Vivek liking Jackson thing on the way out. Given that Dumars was in the role you expect that sort of garbage to come from - and that I’d say at this point is designed by Vivek to cause that sort of fighting - he should deserve some credit. Until we hear otherwise

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The one thing we can say about Dumars is that he did not engage in any Brandon Williams / PDA / George Karl / Cousins / Joerger / whoever politicking infighting and backstabbing. At least not publicly. If there was intrigue it was kept quiet, altho maybe he leaked the Vivek liking Jackson thing on the way out. Given that Dumars was in the role you expect that sort of garbage to come from - and that I’d say at this point is designed by Vivek to cause that sort of fighting - he should deserve some credit. Until we hear otherwise
to be fair, Dumars was once fined half a million dollars for leaking stuff to Woj so you can see why he’d be a little gunshot in that aspect.

Dumar being around had always been kind of strange, to begin with so his departure is fine with me. Either give him the reign (some kind of consultant for Monte McNair) or just let him go, it's that simple since no one outside of the organization knows exactly what his capacity is anyway.

And I understand why people are so against Vivek's involvement but that's his company, he definitely can't just take one of this, albeit trusted, employee's word alone to hire such a crucial position. Come on now...

As long as it was not against our GM's decision, Vivek surely has the right to join in on the interview process.

Yeah, he was never public, but that's sort of the issue imo. Judging by his exit (He wanted more power over McNair, Vivek said no), I think it's fair to assume he was a major major player in personal decisions since he's been here. But with what? How do you hold McNair accountable if Dumars had personal decision power? What was he involved with?

It's better to just remove all that potential nonsense. I think it's fair to say going forward it's either McNair's decision, or Vivek stepped in and made the call. There's no more secondary/unclear what role they actually have FO voices that weren't brought in by McNair. That's a good thing

Yeah, he was never public, but that's sort of the issue imo. Judging by his exit (He wanted more power over McNair, Vivek said no), I think it's fair to assume he was a major major player in personal decisions since he's been here. But with what? How do you hold McNair accountable if Dumars had personal decision power? What was he involved with?

It's better to just remove all that potential nonsense. I think it's fair to say going forward it's either McNair's decision, or Vivek stepped in and made the call. There's no more secondary/unclear what role they actually have FO voices that weren't brought in by McNair. That's a good thing
Yeah, I agree with you by large. It's not unfair for Dumars to seek validation here. Again, it was unclear to us outside of the organization what his capacity was, so I'd think it would just be fair that if Vivek had previously chosen to trust Dumars, that means Dumars should have had a seat in the front office with McNair. Maybe it's just that Vivek now got McNair, thus Dumars became expendable.

Oh I completely agree him leaving is a good thing especially if he was eyeing more power, I’m just more concerned it creates an opening for another Vivek whisperer just as Mark the human hand grenade Jackson is getting tipped as a favorite to come in. And this being Sacramento we can just be happy Dumars wasn’t lacing Monte’s coffee with arsenic

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If Dumars was team Jackson that might be the only real indication we have which way this is going, other than personal preparations to relive the heartbreak the last major leak of this magnitude happened when the news started trickling who pick 2 was and wasn't going to be.