Alvin Gentry next to coach Kings

OK, so here is what I've never understood about things like this. (coaches chasing etc.) Did Gentry just sit back and try to reinforce everything Walton was putting together and had no actual influence on the play calls or offensive sets, or did he agree with what going on here?
I'll bet you he didn't agree with the rotations and we will see a significant change there

I know he didn’t. Literally did no coaching search. I was pissed with the Walton and still pissed. Wasted 3 seasons for that bum. I could have coached that Dubs teams to that record lol
He was too prideful in his process or lack of, for decision making. It's why I prefer GM's who were not former NBA players. They have a lot more to prove and will go through an exhaustive process to find success. This applies to head coaches as well

He was too prideful in his process or lack of, for decision making. It's why I prefer GM's who were not former players. They have a lot more to prove and will go through an exhaustive process to find success. This applies to head coaches as well
I don’t think it’s that simple. For every Luke’s or Kerrs or Jackson’s, who skipped the grooming process there are Bobby Js or Corliss’s who have been paying their dues for a decade or more.

Full rebuild time. Its broken. Theres no hope with this current squad. Gentry is definently a step up from Walton thats for sure. Cash in the chips and re-up.
We don't have the personnel for a rebuild.

To begin with, rebuild suggests you had something that you are trying to rebuild. Apart from the old faithfuls here, most people would not know our non-Kangz history, so what exactly are we trying to rebuild?

Flippant semantics aside (sorry, couldn't resist), a rebuild typically means giving up your vets for young exciting talent and picks. A star in prime is expected to get a rich haul, and that's no guarantee of success (hello NO, Houston, OKC).

While Barnes, Buddy, and Holmes can fetch mid to late first rounders, but they are all on decent contracts. We will need to take some unproductive players to match salaries, and potentially cut them for relatively little gain. If we can find expiring contracts, great. Else, we are looking at buying out contracts, and locking up long term money in unproductive assets.

No point trading Davion/Hali, unless there is a clear upgrade (very unlikely). Those are the kind of players you hope to acquire for a rebuild.

Perhaps someone will take a chance on Bagley, but the returns will be too underwhelming given his status and recent play.

That leaves Fox. Given his contract, and his performance related to that, he is really tough to trade. I'm sure he has value, but no one is surrendering their star (except possibly Simmons) for him. Trading contracts of that size is always a challenge. We likely end up with a lot of garbage for questionable value.

Does the tank help our draft situation and chances of getting a superstar via the draft? Possibly. However, it also potentially damages the growth of Hali and Davion.

Not saying we should not explore the market, or not try trades to balance out the roster more. However, a full on rebuild with our current roster is going to be tough.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Well, I will say I appreciated not seeing that stupid weave play at the top of the key over and over and over again. And the focus on playing downhill - I don't think I saw more than once or twice when they were close to an 8 second violation, unlike previous games where Fox was walking it across halfcourt with 16 seconds every other play. Also the Haliburton-Holmes rolls to the basket that worked pretty well we never really saw much of under Walton. Small improvements at this point, but welcome.