ALREADY A SUPER TEAM

Marvin is shooting 36% from 3 on one attempt a game. Should he shoot more? And if he does, can that put him in the mix as a SF and fulfill another Vlade prophecy?
If he can shoot more threes at a 36% clip then the solution is to substitute him in for Bjelica in the starting unit. Bjelica and Bogs off the bench would be tremendous and Marvin would help with one of our biggest issues which is rebounding and in the near future he will become our number one or two option on offense. However, I’m not sure that happens this season as he is struggling at times with rookie mistakes and fouling a lot. I do expect him to make that leap next year though.

Marvin is shooting 36% from 3 on one attempt a game. Should he shoot more? And if he does, can that put him in the mix as a SF and fulfill another Vlade prophecy?
Marvin shouldn't force anything. If the 3's are there and he's in rhythm let em fly. The step back 3 he hit vs the Bulls was a beauty. If we can have him drawing double teams as he was vs the Cavs in the 2nd half of that game, thats most definitely where he can serve this team best and provide the most value at this point, you definitely don't do anything to interrupt him running to open spots on the floor fullsteam ahead.

If you watch him he knows what he's supposed to be doing, he'll often react demonstratively to his mistakes. he's clearly out there kinda just getting his feet wet, seeing what he can get away with vs this level of competition... Like the drive at Robin Lopez, and some of these wild reverse attempts.

Last edited:
Brevity: 10/10
Takes Clear and Articulate Position: 3/10
Substantiates Position in Manner Likely to Sway Readers: 0/10
Shows Respect to Other Commenters: 0/10
Overall: 13/40, Needs Improvement
Ha! I had to make adjustments to my settings in order to know what you were responding to. My suspicions were correct.

But look. The super team comment and the Bagley playing SF comment to me were part of the same thing. Vlade speaking his mind about his vision and expectations for the team and national media (and some local fans) laughing at him. I threw the question out there to advance the conversation. I didn't make any declarative statements about whether he should play SF. Thanks to those who actually addressed the question.

Marvin shouldn't force anything. If the 3's are there and he's in rhythm let em fly. The step back 3 he hit vs the Bulls was a beauty. If we can have him drawing double teams as he was vs the Cavs in the 2nd half of that game, thats most definitely where he can serve this team best and provide the most value at this point, you definitely don't do anything to interrupt him running to open spots on the floor fullsteam ahead.

If you watch him he knows what he's supposed to be doing, he'll often react demonstratively to his mistakes. he's clearly out there kinda just getting his feet wet, seeing what he can get away with vs this level of competition... Like the drive at Robin Lopez, and some of these wild reverse attempts.
He had two missed layups on athletic attempts last game that really should have gone in, and will in the future. He's testing the settings on his own athleticism vs. the league, once he's more comfortable with who he's facing, I suspect his game will get dialed-in and we'll start to see him find his rhythm.

Overall I'm massively impressed with Bags. He hits the shots he's supposed to hit. Shooting touch around the basket is superb, and very solid out to 15 feet. As a modern player, you kind of have to have a 3 pt. shot, but at this stage, none should be designed for him, just rather hit them if he's open and in rhythm.

He makes a ton of sense stylistically next to Bogi in the 2nd unit. Good defender, Great shooter, great in transition, decent ball-handler, not a great playmaker, has a lot of experience playing off-ball. Kind of like a Mario Chalmers type that you'd want next to a playmaking wing like Bogi. All these things were a big reason I liked the signing in the off-season because I thought he was someone you could plug in next to any of Fox/Bogi/Bogdan in the back-court and be effective. I wonder if its something in practice that he's not picking up, because you'd think he would have gotten a shot with how poor Frank has been this season.
I would like to see Yogi get burn also. If only because I worry about DJ shortening his bench.

We have the largest number of Back to Back games in the league and among the worst drops in shooting percentages. If we are going to make the playoffs we have to do better than 5-10 on back to backs which is our current pace.

He had two missed layups on athletic attempts last game that really should have gone in, and will in the future. He's testing the settings on his own athleticism vs. the league, once he's more comfortable with who he's facing, I suspect his game will get dialed-in and we'll start to see him find his rhythm.

Overall I'm massively impressed with Bags. He hits the shots he's supposed to hit. Shooting touch around the basket is superb, and very solid out to 15 feet. As a modern player, you kind of have to have a 3 pt. shot, but at this stage, none should be designed for him, just rather hit them if he's open and in rhythm.
The better he's able to hit that mid-range and eventually deeper shot, the easier everything else will get for him. He's already learning that.

Brevity: 10/10
Takes Clear and Articulate Position: 3/10
Substantiates Position in Manner Likely to Sway Readers: 0/10
Shows Respect to Other Commenters: 0/10
Overall: 13/40, Needs Improvement
I don’t know where your getting at but I have respect for every commenter on this site. Maybe it might look different in the Luka thread (as of July) but I respect every here.

Maybe I’m to passionate about Luka

Now is a great time to take a good look at this team. It is not the time to get ahead of ourselves and start anticipating championships and the best team in the league stuff. The Kings have finally made the leap to .500 and respectability. The humility and hunger need to remain in place to get to the next level. There are a lot of great teams in the NBA, especially in the western conference. There is a lot of crazy talk around here.

I like our guards, everyone does. We have made a big jump at the 3 with Shumpert and then Jackson behind him.
It is the 4/5 where we have the most room for improvement. Bjelica brings some skills. He can shoot, defend pretty well and rebound. He is actually a ball handler. Big improvement. Willie has become an offensive force, but an erratic rebounder and crummy defender. Bagley's rapid improvement will have a lot to do with this team's improving success. Giles has potential. Koufus remains a capable man off the bench. Once the Kings figure out how to defend from 5 feet in, they are going to be competitive against any team around.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don’t know where your getting at but I have respect for every commenter on this site. Maybe it might look different in the Luka thread (as of July) but I respect every here.

Maybe I’m to passionate about Luka
In regard to "lack of respect" (and the other criticisms as well) I was referring to only that particular post, not in general. Normally I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but I can specifically remember at least three times that you've responded to an idea that you disagreed with with a one-word dismissive post. I think that a reasonable interpretation of the one-word-dismiss is "you're an idiot, get out of here" - which doesn't really show the respect that briefly explaining your reasoning why Bagley should not play SF would. Was I being snarky? Yes - that's part of my personality. But I hoped you would understand what I was going for, and now with this explanation, I trust you do.

I'd like to think that your position on Doncic was not relevant to my response. I can't be certain on that - for the most part I do a pretty good job of not pigeonholing posters by their opinions but sometimes the trends are just too strong for me to filter out! ;)

In regard to "lack of respect" (and the other criticisms as well) I was referring to only that particular post, not in general. Normally I wouldn't make a big deal of it, but I can specifically remember at least three times that you've responded to an idea that you disagreed with with a one-word dismissive post. I think that a reasonable interpretation of the one-word-dismiss is "you're an idiot, get out of here" - which doesn't really show the respect that briefly explaining your reasoning why Bagley should not play SF would. Was I being snarky? Yes - that's part of my personality. But I hoped you would understand what I was going for, and now with this explanation, I trust you do.

I'd like to think that your position on Doncic was not relevant to my response. I can't be certain on that - for the most part I do a pretty good job of not pigeonholing posters by their opinions but sometimes the trends are just too strong for me to filter out! ;)
Oh ok I got it, ya my one word response definitely wasn’t a suggestion that someone’s an idiot

and when I remember some people calling Fox a bust :) Kings did not use season to build their rookie player stats, like some teams, but to make player.. and he made leap, sooner than I expected (and I am optimist by nature)..

now what I would like Vlade to do is to try to get Milos Teodosic somehow.. except for flashy passes when they give him some time on court, he did not show anything in NBA, and he can play.. I think Milos would be perfect player with Fox, he is one of most inteligent point guards I watched, he really knows how to dictate an offense and I think Fox and others can learn a lot from him.. I think Clippers are just trying to use his 6.3 milion contract untill trade deadline, so I hope Vlade gets him either by trade now or at the end of season.. I trully think he can make Fox even better point guard..

now Bagley.. he is still raw, but he is getting better day by day and like I said I really like that Kings do not push their high draft picks just to get stats.. when you see his defence now and one year ago, huge difference.. He is also a project, and I expect leap in third season.. I would be really surprised if he does not touch his ceiling, he has all the tools, physicall and mental..

as for Gilles I am not sure.. I was expecting 15-20 minutes player and yet he is not getting much playing time.. are they just slowly getting him in NBA or his defence and need for ball are a problem.. I really hope he gets to use his tallent, as he has it..

re-sign WCS and Shump, try to get Milos and SF and do not change anything..

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the opposition leaves Bagly wide open at the 3 point line, sure, he should take the shot. Otherwise, no. At this point, he gets into an indecisive mode with his shot when a defender is fairly close to him, which results in his shot going short. So all he has to do is wait for the wide open 3 and then take it. He's shown he can hit that shot.

I haven't checked any stats on the matter, but it seems like coach is playing Bagley and WCS together more often. Coach subbed Bagley for Bjelica after 6.5 minutes of the 3rd quarter of the Bulls game, leaving WCS and Bagley in the game together. If Bagley can hit the open 3 pointer, it makes it more feasible to play with WCS because it opens the floor for Fox & Co. and adds athleticism to the mix.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Eventually, the Vlade prophecy is going to come true. Give it a couple of years. Then he'll play the 3, 4 and 5, imo. He already plays 3 on defense pretty well. Think back to the Bucks game when he was guarding the Greek Freak; he was the best defender the Kings had on the guy.

As far as whether Bagley should shoot more, yes he should shoot more, but maybe not the way people are thinking about the matter. The guards on the Kings have to find him more. They have to find him more when he runs the floor, and they have to find him more when he's got good position under the basket. Part of that responsibility is on Bagley on improving where he positions himself to the receive the ball. In any case, opportunities to get him the ball in great positions are being missed. When the Kings players start recognizing those situations better, Bagley will be taking more shots, and they will be good shots with most of them going in.

I don't think Joerger gives two craps about ROTY. I think Joerger cares about winning while developing our youth. I think he's done a better job of it than any single person on the forum could have dreamed of.

There is a reason Marvin is being put into the post and certain positions, he's comfortable there and semi competent. Look at last year with all the horns sets we ran. If we were still doing that crap at this point this year, we could all complain.

Joerger is getting press from KD on Simmons most recent podcast, he was reference in Ethan Strauss's most recent piece about scouts as being one of the more creative coaches on covering up his play calling. He's a top 10 coach in this league, and I think there is a chance he's top 5.

I don’t know why anybody who has actually watched Marvin Bagley fly in from out of nowhere for a loose ball, or shoot that gorgeous hook shot... would be tapping the brakes about him. He’s awesome and gonna get better. Sky high upside. Nothing not to love.
Love the sarcasm.

Ohww... I am mistaken again.. how embarrassing.. I must take away a like now, and await an o
Appropriate sarcastic post. :p
I’ve shown I can be vicious sarcastic but my enthusiasm around Fox and Marvin as franchise cornerstones for the next 10 years is all sincere. I hope Giles can show the stuff too. But I don’t trade Fox and I don’t envy Luka or regret Bagley.

Last edited:
Last night the Kings beat the Wolves. We gave up 80 points in the second half but still won with defense. That is a very odd proclamation to make. The Kings at crunch time gave up 4 straight layups. It is the team's Achilles Heel. Willie missed a bunch of foul shots, but then made some. Another weakness.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
and when I remember some people calling Fox a bust :) Kings did not use season to build their rookie player stats, like some teams, but to make player.. and he made leap, sooner than I expected (and I am optimist by nature)..
I'm a generous person who does not just throw people onto ignore lists, but I do wish we had a compilation of who these people were so I could tune them out a little bit because I suspect they are the same people dumping on this year's pick and throwing constant shade left and right. But I've never been great with names and might just be confusing people with similar ones.

Super? Becoming Legitimately good. Possible.

KIngs have won the games they should. Which, that in iteself is progress.

But,
Kings have feasted on a number of bad teams: Miami, Magic, Suns twice, Bulls, Cavs, Wizards, and Hawks.
Beaten a few sub .500 teams: Wolves twice, and Jazz

Kings W-L against teams above .500

4-8

Den: 0-1: 2 games remaining
GS: 0-1: 3 games remaining
Okc: 2-0: 2 games remaining
Lac: 0-1: 3 games remaining
LAL: 0-1: 3 games remaining
Mem: 1-1: 2 games remaining
Dal: 0-0: 3 games remaining
Port: 0-0: 3 games remaining
Tor: 0-1: 1 game remaining
Mil: 0-1: 1 game remaining
Phi: 0-0: 2 games remaining
Ind: 1-1: Done
Bos: 0-0: 2 games remaining
Char: 0-0: 2 games remaiining

Super? Becoming Legitimately good. Possible.

KIngs have won the games they should. Which, that in iteself is progress.

But,
Kings have feasted on a number of bad teams: Miami, Magic, Suns twice, Bulls, Cavs, Wizards, and Hawks.
Beaten a few sub .500 teams: Wolves twice, and Jazz

Kings W-L against teams above .500

4-8

Den: 0-1: 2 games remaining
GS: 0-1: 3 games remaining
Okc: 2-0: 2 games remaining
Lac: 0-1: 3 games remaining
LAL: 0-1: 3 games remaining
Mem: 1-1: 2 games remaining
Dal: 0-0: 3 games remaining
Port: 0-0: 3 games remaining
Tor: 0-1: 1 game remaining
Mil: 0-1: 1 game remaining
Phi: 0-0: 2 games remaining
Ind: 1-1: Done
Bos: 0-0: 2 games remaining
Char: 0-0: 2 games remaiining
We are in the infancy blossom stage... don't worry about it.