Adelman has a ball, worries

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12610229p-13464444c.html

Adelman has a ball, worries

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Reaching select coaching company was nice, Rick Adelman said Tuesday night, and the game ball will soon be stashed alongside his other milestone keepsakes at home.

But two things concern the Kings coach.

For one, how did John Wetzel get such prized seats? Wetzel was Adelman's right-hand man for 14 seasons, his signature lining six previous milestone balls for Adelman. Now retired and residing in Arizona, Wetzel was on hand - at midcourt where Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof normally sit - to toast his old friend.

Adelman became just the 15th coach in NBA history to record 700 coaching victories, doing so at the expense of the Portland Trail Blazers 112-93. Yet by the time Adelman got in his car for the ride home, more pressing themes cluttered his mind.

The Kings are in a desperate fight for playoff positioning. Teams are nipping at their heels. The Kings are a walking triage unit - bad toes, bad backs, bad wrists and bad legs.

But Adelman was sure to appreciate his achievement before he left Arco Arena. He waved to his wife, Mary Kay, in the stands and embraced her a moment later. He then requested that all of the players and assistant coaches sign the ball.

"It is special," Adelman said. "Each time (a milestone happens), you appreciate it more. I've been in two great situations (in Portland and Sacramento), and the seven years in Sacramento have been terrific."

Curiously, before Tuesday, each of Adelman's milestone triumphs came against Eastern Conference foes: Victory 1 against Miami in 1989, 100 against Cleveland in 1990, 200 against Detroit in 1992, 300 against Charlotte in 1995, 400 against Boston in 1999, 500 against Orlando in 2001 and 600 against Philadelphia in 2003. This one came against a Blazers franchise for which he played and also recorded 291 coaching wins in five-plus seasons. And it came at just the right time.

"I'd like to have five more so we'd know we'll be someplace in April," Adelman said.

He was indicating a seventh successive postseason trip, which will not be a sure thing until the Kings string some wins.

"I'm not sure of anything," Adelman said. "We've got to go out and prove ourselves. I'm not worried about the seeding. I am worried about hitting a rough patch here and trying to get it all back with only a few games to go."

Adelman had his game face on from the start. He was hit with a technical foul in the second quarter after he walked onto the floor to ask the officials why play wasn't stopped with Darius Songaila writhing on the floor after the Kings forward fell in a heap when he had his shot blocked. Adelman said the officials believed the coach was charging the floor to argue a noncall.

Later, Adelman couldn't bear to watch as Peja Stojakovic remained on the floor for a long moment, grimacing and clutching his knee. But Stojakovic was fine.

Adelman was beaming in his postgame media sessions, right to the end when he pondered Wetzel's seat vantage point. "I don't know how important he is," Adelman cracked.

LMM said:
Later, Adelman couldn't bear to watch as Peja Stojakovic remained on the floor for a long moment, grimacing and clutching his knee. But Stojakovic was fine.
QUOTE]lolz.... hahaha... i think thats was when peja made that hustle play and grazed or "floor burned" his knee on the floor... hahaha.... gotta love peja...

^yeah

when i watched the game over...it did appear that whoever (from Portland) that was racing him to the ball fell on the back of his leg and pushed his knee to the ground...which ofcourse would hurt anyone...but thats what it appeared like to me when i watched the game over

::shrugs::

I was wondering whether or not RA got the game ball...good to hear that he did and that everyone signed it

thx for posting LMM

Yeah, I sorta glazed over the comma in the title also...

"Adleman has ball worries"

I'm worried about some of the King's players inthis regard as well. They've all gotta start sacking up, frankly.