A thought in light of the MLB seizing the LA Dodgers

A huge turn of events today in baseball as Commissioner Selig decided to wrestle control of the Dodgers from the McCourt family in light of their divorce proceedings and the financial strain it's put on the franchise as a result.

News report here: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/news/story?id=6397488

Reports also say that Selig may invoke his contractual powers as commissioner and force the sale of the franchise in the "best interests of baseball" -- something he's done before with the Cincinnati Reds.

Now, this is in no way an attempt on my part to start any rumor -- but rather a post for discussion about any possibility that this could relate to our situation with the Kings and the Maloofs. I tried to search for some precedent of this in the NBA, but could find nothing. Nor could I find anything on the possibility of the NBA commissioner having an ability that parallels what Selig is invoking today in the MLB.

But the prospect did get my mind churning over the idea as it relates to the Kings, especially since we have a couple of fellas named Webber and Burkle lurking nearby waiting for any opportunity to buy the team from our financially strained current owners. So does anyone know if this scenario is a possibility, if it were to somehow come to the point where the NBA decides that the Maloofs aren't as fit to support the franchise as they claim to be? It's a long shot, to be sure, but I tried to find confirmation to support some type of conclusion, but found none. Sure would be amazing though, wouldn't it?

Joe and Gavin are single as are other two Maloof brothers - so maybe this one does not fit on that level. LA Dodgers owners have been in midst of a bitter divorce which resulted in baseball franchise being severely neglected by McCourt family during what's turned into a bizarre, protracted, personal soap opera.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
MLB is the only pro league that can operate as a monopoly according to Federal law. The rest of the leagues have to operate the same as any business. I think this law gives Selig dictatorial powers that cannot exist in any other sport.

Joe and Gavin are single as are other two Maloof brothers - so maybe this one does not fit on that level. LA Dodgers owners have been in midst of a bitter divorce which resulted in baseball franchise being severely neglected by McCourt family during what's turned into a bizarre, protracted, personal soap opera.
What? I was aware of the divorce proceedings -- I said so in the very first line. And in what instance did I suggest marital problems were even in the ballpark of the Maloofs' issues? I was simply saying the Dodgers and their ownership are financially strained, even taking out a large loan from Fox (and having an even larger loan from them denied previously) to make payroll. I wasn't trying to draw a direct parallel between the McCourts and the Maloofs in terms of family relations -- only the actions taken in light of both groups having to take multi-million dollar loans just to make rent, essentially. The Maloof men being single has nothing to do with anything -- the only thing that matters is that they may be broke and unfit to run a sports franchise.

Glenn, your post is more enlightening, and I'll do some more research into what you said about Selig's exclusive powers.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'm really not making any argument for anything. I am saying that MLB is exempt from the normal monopoly constraints. This was a bill passed in Congress. I don't know by whom or why. I don't know what that means in the real world. I just know it makes MLB different than the NBA. Certainly Stern does not have the power to authorize or negate a loan between two private businesses like Selig did when he didn't allow Fox to loan $200 mil to the McCourts/Dodgers. That's a lot of power.

Perhaps if Stern had similar powers, he would have negated some of the loans the Maloofs have received "in the interest of the game." If he had the power to control the loans, the Maloofs might have to sell. If he actually has that power, then I say get on with it. However, from what I have seen, the Commissioner cannot operate without the consent of the BOG.

Mu GUESS is that MLB can operate as a dictatorship and NBA has to operate as a democracy/republic of sorts. Certainly Selig did not get permission from the owners to turn down the loan.

I don't even know who Simmons is much less what his knowledge of the law is.

Last edited:
Wow, so turns out Glenn was right -- Bud Selig is, essentially, God in relation to professional sports. I had no idea that the MLB was operating under an antitrust exemption, albeit supremely outdated and laughable. He can force this sale without repercussion because the Supreme Court decided almost 100 years ago that baseball was simply a game and not a product of commerce that could be regulated by the government, because acts of physical exertion couldn't be commerce. Sounds horribly shortsighted, doesn't it? So Selig can still do things like what he did today while Stern and others can't simply because the MLB has been around longer than the other major sports leagues and benefited from the running logic of the day. And Congress can't be bothered to change the antitrust legislation to fix this, apparently.

Here's one of the articles that I got this info from (from 2002, but still good info): http://www.slate.com/id/2068290/

Anyway, I still believe that, if it were determined the Maloofs are as unfit as we believe they are, that Stern could do some maneuvering to force their hand. As I said before, this is merely hopeful speculation on my part and not anything that's in motion currently. But it would be incredible and the one time I could excuse Stern's WWE antics.

Completely different scenarios. McCourts committed fraud(allegedly at least), they're going through a divorce, and the handling of the Brian Stow incident doomed their fortunes. The maloofs may be strapped for money but it all comes down to the arena being the biggest issue.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Heh, well you should be upset that you're right, because as powerful as Selig is, I don't think he can get the Maloofs to sell to Webb and Co. :p
That's right. I have often wondered how the NBA would be different if run just as MLB is run. It depends so much on the Commissioner, one person. Sounds un-American, doesn't it?

I didn't realize this was "grandfathered" in as an old law. Seems like it shouldn't be so.

That's right. I have often wondered how the NBA would be different if run just as MLB is run. It depends so much on the Commissioner, one person. Sounds un-American, doesn't it?

I didn't realize this was "grandfathered" in as an old law. Seems like it shouldn't be so.
David Stern as God is actually a running nightmare of mine.