A strange and frustrating observation

I was watching ESPNEWS and some NBA show on ESPN2 and I noticed something that really bothered me about the reporting of the Kings v. Sonics game on Feb 1, 2005. Here's where it started; the little sports news ticker on the bottom of the screen that shows scores displayed the Kings/Sonics score, then said this, "Sea: Lewis 24, Sac: Bibby 25, Sea: Ray Allen DNP". At first I thought nothing of it, but Chris Webber and Peja did not play either... The sports broadcasts I watched mentioned the same things... Webber and Peja not playing were hardly mentioned at all, if mentioned, but Ray Allen not playing was over-emphasized. It made the game sound like 'the Kings could not beat the Sonics even without Ray Allen'. Why would ESPN put a spin on this game like that? It's kind of like saying "44 people died in Iraq and on a sidenote 8 million people voted"

KP

Starter
NoBonus said:
I was watching ESPNEWS and some NBA show on ESPN2 and I noticed something that really bothered me about the reporting of the Kings v. Sonics game on Feb 1, 2005. Here's where it started; the little sports news ticker on the bottom of the screen that shows scores displayed the Kings/Sonics score, then said this, "Sea: Lewis 24, Sac: Bibby 25, Sea: Ray Allen DNP". At first I thought nothing of it, but Chris Webber and Peja did not play either... The sports broadcasts I watched mentioned the same things... Webber and Peja not playing were hardly mentioned at all, if mentioned, but Ray Allen not playing was over-emphasized. It made the game sound like 'the Kings could not beat the Sonics even without Ray Allen'. Why would ESPN put a spin on this game like that? It's kind of like saying "44 people died in Iraq and on a sidenote 8 million people voted"
It's BSPN, they don't like the Kings. You haven't figured that out yet?

S

SaCKiNgS24

i dont know bout "BSPN" but on TNT charles barkley is always hating on the KINGS! like the game vs spurs. i got respect for charles barkley cuz he beat down shaq, but dont talk bout the kings like that!

KP

Starter
SaCKiNgS24 said:
i dont know bout "BSPN" but on TNT charles barkley is always hating on the KINGS! like the game vs spurs. i got respect for charles barkley cuz he beat down shaq, but dont talk bout the kings like that!
I don't know, Charles is always talking about what it takes to win a championship, even though he's never won one! A fact Mike Bibby reminded him of on national TV last year.

KP said:
I don't know, Charles is always talking about what it takes to win a championship, even though he's never won one! A fact Mike Bibby reminded him of on national TV last year.
What's the story? How and in what context did Bibby say it? Hmm...how interesting....

KP said:
That was classic..I loved it.:)

G

godsthename

charles is a punk. he knows the kings got what it takes but it goes totally against how he used to play. So he talks up all this crap i cant wait to see what one of the kings will say the first time they talk to charles if they were to win it. I know if i was one of them i would call him out and make him look like an *** on tnt. I hope its webber and he says "how does it feel to never win a championship" how does it feel to know you know nothing about basketball you talk all this crap but now your jumping on the bandwagon". I dunno i wanna see something said to charles it could be anyone of them peja mike cwebb or miller.

During an interview:

Charles: blah, blah, what it takes to win a championship, blah

Mike: How you know Charles? How you know?

It was glorious.

S

SaCKiNgS24

mike bibby = OG wit it!
charles barkley is similar to chris childs only good for taking jabs at people who are clearly better than him!

ReinadelosReys said:
Lately you've been loving a lot of things Kings related....Oh, yeah, that's right, we are wearing you down!.....:D
I was loving Charles getting owned...not that a King said it. ;)

When have I ever loved anything Kings related???...(oh the horror!) ;)

KP said:
One of the 10 best Kings moments of last year:D . Well, not really, but it was fun to see Charles nearly speechless for a minute or two. hehehe...thanks for the reminder!

kingskings! said:
One of the 10 best Kings moments of last year:D . Well, not really, but it was fun to see Charles nearly speechless for a minute or two. hehehe...thanks for the reminder!

The look on Barkley's face was priceless! And, it came at a time in the interview where Barkley (IMHO) was kind of beating Bibby up, so for Bibby to come up with that & put Barkley is his place was fantastic.

I do think that the media has forgotten that, using last night as an example...everyone totally forgets about the fact that the Kings were without Webber, Peja, BOBBY, and Mo Evans. Sure Ray Allen was big for the Sonics, but I think that if you consider if Seattle had Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Antonio Daniels and Vlad Radmanovic out, which WOULD be the equivalent of injuries in comparison...the Kings would have walked all over Seattle.

When stars are missing, it's more interesting (and newsworthy) when a team wins, not when a team loses. If the Kings had won it would have said Kings win despite missing Webber. It has nothing to do with bias.

NoBonus said:
I wouldn't look too into it. I'm sure they made a HUGE deal about us winning in Minnesota without Pedja and Webber. The fact is ... the Kings have been winning without Bobby, Evans, Pedja, Webber, etc., etc. It's no longer news. It's just the norm. The Sonics however ... sucked last year ... mostly without Ray Allen. And they just got crushed by the Spurs without him the night before. It's a bigger story that the Sonics won @ Arco without Ray Allen than it is that the Kings lost without Webber and Pedja. I'm sure if the Kings won, it would have said, "The Sonics couldn't beat the Kings w/o Webber and Peja".