A lot to learn: Garcia has skills but game is still rough

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/13997009p-14830302c.html

A lot to learn: Kings rookie forward has skills, but his game is still rough
Kings rookie forward has skills, but his game is still rough
By Sam Amick -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Monday, December 19, 2005

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Some of Francisco García's rookie routines won't be going away anytime soon.

Nor should they.

He will be on donut/bagel duty until his inaugural season with the Kings is over, fetching the morning nourishment for his teammates in the type of assist he never envisioned as part of the NBA experience.

As for those other rookie habits, the Kings' coaching staff can't wait for them to end.

The substitute subplot starring García as part of the ever-evolving Kings bench has been a mixed tale, entertaining and eye-catching at times while confounding and downright dreadful at others.

He has done enough to warrant the third-most playing time among the Kings' reserves (287 minutes, 15.1-per-game average), although he has three starts. But more than one-quarter of the way into his debut campaign, the potential still outweighs the production.

García is shooting 33.8 percent from the field and 13.8 percent from three-point land, where he ranks third behind Mike Bibby and Peja Stojakovic in attempts, with 29. Although he played just one minute in the Kings' 90-89 loss at San Antonio on Saturday, he averaged 13.8 in the previous five games and scored just eight points in that span.

Kings assistant Elston Turner said García's versatility earns him floor time, as he can fill in at three positions and has the talent to score, defend, rebound and block shots that not all players possess. He can play point guard in spots, which allows coach Rick Adelman the luxury of putting his two best shooters - Bibby and Stojakovic - on the wings waiting for down screens that lead to open shots.

But they know he can be sharper and smarter than he has been, a message that has been emphasized in García's numerous tutoring sessions with Turner and assistant T.R. Dunn.

Asked how García's evolution was going, Turner begged to differ.

"Evolution?" he said. "He could be better."

Clarifying that his focus was on the areas of improvement, Turner began to analyze.

"His competitiveness, and all the stuff that we loved before, we still love that," Turner said. "But he needs to work on his defense, because he tends to lose his man. With his quickness and his agility, he should be able to defend a little better on the ball.

"His energy - and this is on both ends - tends to sometimes get him in trouble. There's too much of it. Not too much of it, but wanting - offensively - to cut when there's no cut there. ... His shot percentage has to do with selection. Take your three, but you don't have to be three feet behind the line to take it."

As is the case with nearly all rookies, García has struggled with the playbook, too, losing his way too often and winding up at the wrong spots on the floor.

"I would agree with coach (that) he does lose track of what he's supposed to do, getting real hyper," reserve forward Kenny Thomas said. "Other than that, I think he's going to be all right."

As do his other teammates. From the day the Kings drafted the dynamic college star out of Louisville, there was talk of his unending confidence. He has a swagger befitting an All-Star, his emotion always extreme, whether it's elation or frustration. His passionate personality has been a welcome addition to the locker room, where his teammates say time should turn García's game around.

"I'm guessing when (the Kings) drafted him, they knew what kind of person he was," backup point guard Jason Hart said. "He's very loose and lively as a person, and all that stuff factors in. ... In this league, you can only survive with confidence. He's going to be a good player."

García knows as much.

"My shot is not falling yet, but I'll just keep working on that and keep my confidence up," García said. "I think it's mental. Coach (Adelman) talked to me and said, 'Don't worry about it.' In practice, I shoot it very well. But in games, I'm probably thinking about it too much."

He also knows that playing time is not to be expected, but earned, and that his role might change if his play does not.

"I've just got to play the game like I always do," he said.

By getting back to habits of old.

About the writer: The Bee's Sam Amick can be reached at (916) 326-5582 or samick@sacbee.com.

I have loved Garcia's game mostly because of his confidence. I think he'll eventually become a starter. I think he could be better than Christie. I'm excited to see what type of player he is going to be in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would like to see him learn to play within the team structure, instead of having so much confidence that he forgets there are 4 other players on the court wearing the same uniform.

13.8 % from beyond the arc? He has some maturing to do yet for sure. Didn't realize he averaged 15 minutes a game so far this season.. hardly deserved or earned.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
atxrocker said:
13.8 % from beyond the arc? He has some maturing to do yet for sure. Didn't realize he averaged 15 minutes a game so far this season.. hardly deserved or earned.
I missed the games he started (was in Maui at the time - had other things on my mind ;) ), but I thought he played well during that stretch, did he not? Just seems like he needs more time to get consistent.

Warhawk said:
I missed the games he started (was in Maui at the time - had other things on my mind ;) ), but I thought he played well during that stretch, did he not? Just seems like he needs more time to get consistent.
Definitely...

Hopefully our coaching staff will give him that time and not trade him. We seem to have made MANY mistakes trading our bench youth in the past.

atxrocker said:
I think one reason his minutes are that high because he took Peja's starting spot when he was injured for a few games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He's a rookie. There should be some midrange between starting and never getting any minutes.

He's a work in progress. He is NOT without rough edges. He's not, for example, Dwayne Wade or LeBron James.

He needs to learn to play within the system, as I've said many times. I personally think he needs to be the second option to back up Peja and NOT the first. The only problem is we don't have a first...