2024 California Classic coming back to G1C… AND Soulless Ripoff Arena in San Francisco.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
https://sports.yahoo.com/international-team-added-california-classic-230824843.html

Welp. No better than the Washington Generals. Actually, this is kind of crappy because I'm pretty sure the Chinese National Team doesn't have any picks in this year's draft. Why do they think we go to watch these exhibition games?
Given where things were like fifteen years ago when China was routinely fielding lotto picks (that in fairness would usually turn out to be massive busts), it’s wild seeing Team China be this much worse than Team Japan in an international setting.

So how did we as a host team end up having to play games at Chase but the Warriors none at G1C? And why did the Kings agree to play the Laker game in SF? I’m confused by this schedule.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So how did we as a host team end up having to play games at Chase but the Warriors none at G1C? And why did the Kings agree to play the Laker game in SF? I’m confused by this schedule.
I’m guessing the Lakers are going to be based out of SF for the California Classic.
It feels like the current Kings regime places way more importance on summer league player development than most of the other teams in the league so they probably jumped at the chance to get as many player reps in as possible.

I am struggling to see how the palm tree is “emblematic” of anything in Sac OR the Bay Area.
Back in the early 60's, after my mom finished nursing school in Canada, she and her best friend wanted to move to the U.S. so they looked for opportunities at a variety of hospitals. Being young and single, they looked for the most exciting spot to land and saw a hospital in downtown Sacramento with a picture of palm trees on the brochure (I believe on Watt Ave.) Based on that picture alone, they accepted the position, drove down from Canada and settled in. For some reason they were surprised to not see any Sacramento beaches or a tropical setting.... but hey, she met her husband (a young medical intern from Nebraska working at that same hospital) and after 60 years she's still in the area. Still looking for those Sacramento palm trees.

Back in the early 60's, after my mom finished nursing school in Canada, she and her best friend wanted to move to the U.S. so they looked for opportunities at a variety of hospitals. Being young and single, they looked for the most exciting spot to land and saw a hospital in downtown Sacramento with a picture of palm trees on the brochure (I believe on Watt Ave.) Based on that picture alone, they accepted the position, drove down from Canada and settled in. For some reason they were surprised to not see any Sacramento beaches or a tropical setting.... but hey, she met her husband (a young medical intern from Nebraska working at that same hospital) and after 60 years she's still in the area. Still looking for those Sacramento palm trees.
We actually have a lot of palm trees in Sacramento. There’s even a palm Avenue in Carmichael.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
We actually have a lot of palm trees in Sacramento. There’s even a palm Avenue in Carmichael.
Maybe there are some, but they aren't native and certainly aren't "emblematic". For LA or Hawaii, sure. But NorCal certainly isn't a palm tree mecca, nor should those trees be used for representation.

That's like saying Japanese Maples are emblematic of the area, or sushi, or Volvo cars, or anything else that can be found here. Should those be used for the design of the award instead?