2020 NBA All-Stars

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Does it strike anyone as odd that, after two successful seasons of implementing the "pick teams" gimmick, they appear to have gone back to straight conference versus conference?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was gonna say the same about jimmy butler. Trae Young does not deserve to be there.
I also would have gone with Butler over either Beal or Young. That said, I don't acknowledge any version of reality where Trae Young isn't deserving of being a starter, but Bradley Beal is.

Trae deserves a spot as a backup, but not starter.
His team is dead last in the East. I don’t think players should get screwed out of an all star bid because his team isn’t in the playoffs but cmon be at least be somewhat within distance for the last playoff spot. The only reason I think he should be an all star reserve is because the East is weaker than the west. But there’s a few that can be arguable over him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Trae Young is one of the most popular players in the NBA. The only way he wasn't going to get in as a starter is if the players and the media both left him off their ballot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
https://apnews.com/d465010625f8118c5fdbf8e05103d21c

The NBA announced major changes to the All-Star format on Thursday, turning every quarter into a mini-game for charity before an untimed final quarter with a target score that will decide which team wins. Scores will be reset — back to 0-0 — at the start of the second and third quarters, then restored to begin the fourth quarter.

That’s where the tribute to Bryant and the No. 24 jersey he wore for the last decade of his NBA career comes into play. The team that wins the All-Star Game will be the first to reach a target score, determined by the total points the team in the lead scored in the first three quarters combined — plus 24, the obvious nod to Bryant.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
More...

The team that has the most points after the first quarter will win $100,000 for its charity. The same will apply to the second and third quarters. The scores get added for the fourth to set the target score — for example, if the score is 100-95 at that point, then the team that wins the All-Star Game will be the first to reach 124.

The target score concept is something that the NBA has been considering since last summer, when National Basketball Players Association president Chris Paul — a big fan of The Basketball Tournament, a winner-take-all $2 million event composed mostly of college alumni teams — reached out to say the league should explore the concept. The Basketball Tournament uses what is called the Elam Ending; the game clock is turned off at the first stoppage with 4:00 or less in the fourth quarter, and the target score there is eight points more than the leading score at the time.

These rules honestly make way more sense than the new ASG rules
I feel like the new ASG rules sorta make sense but the way they've been explained is just weird.

If you explain it as: winner of each individual quarter for first 3 quarters wins it for charity of their choice, 4th quarter no clock race to leading team's score+24 it sounds alot simpler than talking about "resetting 0-0" etc.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel like the new ASG rules sorta make sense but the way they've been explained is just weird.

If you explain it as: winner of each individual quarter for first 3 quarters wins it for charity of their choice, 4th quarter no clock race to leading team's score+24 it sounds alot simpler than talking about "resetting 0-0" etc.
I'm waiting for Larry Coons to put out an FAQ about it. ;)

Used to watch the whole all star weekend back in the 90's. Now it's only if a Kings player is competing. And half the time didn't even watch the game then too. The only good part of all star weekend is the 3 pt contest. It's the only true competition.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Used to watch the whole all star weekend back in the 90's. Now it's only if a Kings player is competing. And half the time didn't even watch the game then too. The only good part of all star weekend is the 3 pt contest. It's the only true competition.
Agree to disagree; the three-point contest is legitimately the only part of All-Star Weekend I don't give a damn about.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

The contest will add a new look with the addition of two shots in the "MTN DEW Zone," NBA announced in a press release.

The two locations will be positioned between the racks atop of the 3-point arc and the adjacent "wing" rack. The two ball pedestals in the zone are located six feet behind the 3-point line and holds the "3-Ball." Shots that are made with these balls are worth three points.

In addition to the MTN DEW Zone, the number of balls per round has increased from 25 to 27 and the amount of time has increased to 70 seconds with the maximum possible score in a round expanding from 34 points to 40 points.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The contest will add a new look with the addition of two shots in the "MTN DEW Zone," NBA announced in a press release.

The two locations will be positioned between the racks atop of the 3-point arc and the adjacent "wing" rack. The two ball pedestals in the zone are located six feet behind the 3-point line and holds the "3-Ball." Shots that are made with these balls are worth three points.

In addition to the MTN DEW Zone, the number of balls per round has increased from 25 to 27 and the amount of time has increased to 70 seconds with the maximum possible score in a round expanding from 34 points to 40 points.