Kings in mix for Iguodala

Status
Not open for further replies.
would it be smarter to amnesty Thornton?? we would only be on the books for the difference of the contracted amount 8.1 this year and 8.6 next year. Bidding could get high with him maybe in the 6-7 mil range and we would only be on books for the difference so 3-4 mil over 2 years vs. salmons 7.5 he would have to sign for 4.5 for us to be on the books for 3 mil for 1 year. gamble on thornton and let Salmons expire. 16 mil off the books next year.
Thornton isn't eligible to be amnestied. He signed after the new CBA.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
if he does and its about 13 mil and we can amnesty salmons and be very close to AI's 13 mil and tyrekes 11 mil. very close is there a % you can go over the cap with a FA signing? we would be within 2-3 mil
You can't go over the cap with a FA signing but you can with your own RFA and then it's as much as you want theoretically.

This whole signing Iggy and Tyreke thing is a whole lot more fun than past years conversations about signing Desmond Mason and Ime Udoka :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
In terms of signing Iguodala it doesn't matter how the contract is laid out, only what Tyreke's cap hold is.

Besides, if the plan really were to sign Iguodala AND Evans and Tyreke was on board with that then there's no reason for Tyreke to even bother signing the NO offer sheet. Just sign with the Kings for similar overall numbers.

That said I can't see much of a way for the Pelicans to really "poison" the contract. The are limited to their available caproom this year with max 4.5 raises. They can have crazy incentives but then they'd have to be willing to pay them.
Me neither.

Entity

Hall of Famer
So basically it is very possible iggy is our priority right now only because we basically have 13 days to sign Reke and if we don't talk numbers to iggy right now we might now have a chance 13 days from now? so there is a chance we could get both with some hard work.

now if we could talk iggy into a back loaded contract with first year starting at 7 mil then we could indeed then go over the cap to sign tyreke because reported the pelicans offer sheet was 7/7/15/15 so only a 7 mil cap hold on tyreke either way. what is salmons salary again guys??????? you are correct if you said 7.5 mil
Where was this reported? Ziller did an article today debunking the argument that the Pelicans can poorly structure an offer to Reke or include a "poison pill". I'm pretty sure they can't do a 7/7/15/15 contract.

If this is the road we go down, Iguodala over Evans, we are essentially banking on McLemore becoming a star. No more 'great role player' business. That won't work anymore.

You are bringing in Iggy for max or near max money. Cousins is going to need to step up and become our #1 option every night. McLemore is going to need to bring it and be the #2 option, while we hope Iggy can provide #3 option numbers.

So basically it is very possible iggy is our priority right now only because we basically have 13 days to sign Reke and if we don't talk numbers to iggy right now we might now have a chance 13 days from now? so there is a chance we could get both with some hard work.
I think the most likely route to getting both would to do a S&T with Denver to get Iggy and send them someone like Thornton, or renounce Evans' Qualifying Offer, sign Iggy, then have Evans sign a deal with us and going over the cap. Only thing with that plan is that we lose the security blanket of being able to match an offer and keep him.

If this is the road we go down, Iguodala over Evans, we are essentially banking on McLemore becoming a star. No more 'great role player' business. That won't work anymore.

You are bringing in Iggy for max or near max money. Cousins is going to need to step up and become our #1 option every night. McLemore is going to need to bring it and be the #2 option, while we hope Iggy can provide #3 option numbers.
If thats the route they new FO takes it would seem that would be their plan. The only reason I would think they dont bring Evans back is that they just dont think he'll thrive at the PG or SF position, and they plan on having McLemore as the long term floor spacer they want at the SG position.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't know that the 13 days is important as no one can be signed until July 10. I DO agree Iggy is or priority now and the trick is to fit him under the cap so we can sign Tyreke also. If we don't sign Tyreke, signing Iggy is not worth it. In my view, we get both as a first option and get only Tyreke as a second option if there is no way of signing Iggy. In other words, Tyreke >>> Iggy at this point because of youth.

The thought of signing Iggy to four years conveniently means his contract is up at the time we need to resign McLemore. Perfect! This is a big deal.

I dont like banking our future on Mclemore this soon .. hes still unproven.. What would we do at PG?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I do wonder in the meetings with Iggy and Reke, whether or not the other was part of the attraction to playing for us. Did PDA/Vivek try to sell Iggy on the idea of playing with a Reke/MLM backcourt and Cuz down low? Did they try to sell Reke on having a guy like Iggy at SF? There's really no way we'd find out but I'd think it's harder to sell this team to Iggy without Reke.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
but the pelican offer sheet is reported to be loaded in the back with 7 mil as the first year. with an offer sheet you go by the first year of the contract.
The Pelicans can't severely backload a contract. Those severe backloads are restricted to a particular circumstance (RFA, 1 or 2 years total NBA service time) that does not apply. As such, an offer sheet whose cap hold starts at $7M can only have 4.5% raises for a total of $29.89M over a 4 year deal. That's clearly not the offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.