The 2013 NBA Finals: (1) Miami Heat vs (2) San Antonio Spurs

Who will be NBA Champions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gregg Popovich just handed the Heat a repeat title with that boneheaded pull Duncan for the final defensive possessions of regulation move. Legendary coach = Keith Smart of the moment. What a way to retire your dynasty.

No, it was determined by a great coach making an obvious and disastrous decisions at the end of the game. Spurs had it won. Pop lost it.
You mean at the end of regulation? If you're talking about that missed rebound from the Spurs that led to that Lebron three then I completely agree. That rebound likely just cost the Spurs a championship. Funny how little things like that can turn out to be so huge in the end

Bricklayer

You mean at the end of regulation? If you're talking about that missed rebound from the Spurs that led to that Lebron three then I completely agree. That rebound likely just cost the Spurs a championship. Funny how little things like that can turn out to be so huge in the end
Yeah, but not just ONE missed rebound. Two. On back to back defensive possessions to close regulation. On each possession Pop mysteriously pulls Duncan. On each possession the Heat miss a three, then outscrap the tiny Spurs lineup for the offensive rebound inside, and then drain the resulting 2nd chance three pointer. First LeBron, then Allen. Complete disaster.

Vogel's similar blunder with Hibbert earlier in the playoffs comes to mind.

Also the fact that they were up 2 and got the ball and tried a fastbreak. Which resulted in a foul that sent ginobili to the line with 37secs left and 20 on the shotclock. Should have dribbled most of that shotclock out instead.

Gregg Popovich just handed the Heat a repeat title with that boneheaded pull Duncan for the final defensive possessions of regulation move. Legendary coach = Keith Smart of the moment. What a way to retire your dynasty.
I will grant you that pulling Duncan cost the Spurs their best shot at tonight's game. But I give the Spurs the edge still in game 7, Spurs know they can win in Miami and so do the Heat.

pretty much NOBODY on the Spurs played good tonight besides obviously Duncan, and Kawhi.

Parker couldn't make a shot, 6-23 (besides those 2 in the final 2 minutes)
Ginobili was just horrible all around. 8 freakin TO's
Green only took a couple shots. only made one 3
Neal hardly took a shot
Splitter was the Splitter he's been all series.

needless to say, SA can easily dominate Game 7 if they just execute and a couple of these guys show up to play

Last edited:

Bricklayer

History suggests Duncan will not be able to repeat, but we shall see. After decades of watching aging big men summoning up with one last huge effort in the Finals, only o collapse in exhaustion as their teams go down in defeat the next game, I am not hopeful.

Par for the course, some people want to blame players for what they didn't do when they lose all while refusing to give credit to the players that stepped up and made plays that won the game.

Ray Allen's 3 was an epic, clutch shot that will be on par with Robery Horry's dagger in Game 4 against the Kings should the Heat win the series in Game 7. LeBron hit a huge three that started it all the possession before and Bosh had 2 huge blocks in the final minute, including on the final play of the game to secure the win. While the Spurs made mistakes, the Heat still had to capitalize in order to pull off the win. Don't forget, the reason the Spurs even had a 5-point lead late in the game was because the Heat made mistakes that the Spurs capitalized on. It goes both ways.

Lastly, I fully agree with everyone's criticism of Coach Pop's decision to leave Duncan on the bench the last 2 defensive possessions. You gotta have your best rebounder and post defender and winner of 4 titles on the floor in that situation. There's really no valid reason for his decision. That said, there's no guarantee Miami doesn't come down with those rebounds anyway.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Par for the course, some people want to blame players for what they didn't do when they lose all while refusing to give credit to the players that stepped up and made plays that won the game.

Ray Allen's 3 was an epic, clutch shot that will be on par with Robery Horry's dagger in Game 4 against the Kings should the Heat win the series in Game 7. LeBron hit a huge three that started it all the possession before and Bosh had 2 huge blocks in the final minute, including on the final play of the game to secure the win. While the Spurs made mistakes, the Heat still had to capitalize in order to pull off the win. Don't forget, the reason the Spurs even had a 5-point lead late in the game was because the Heat made mistakes that the Spurs capitalized on. It goes both ways.

Lastly, I fully agree with everyone's criticism of Coach Pop's decision to leave Duncan on the bench the last 2 defensive possessions. You gotta have your best rebounder and post defender and winner of 4 titles on the floor in that situation. There's really no valid reason for his decision. That said, there's no guarantee Miami doesn't come down with those rebounds anyway.
Most of us are rooting for the Spurs because we cannot stand the Heat. We will, therefore, more likely place blame than give credit. ;)

Yeah the spurs lost that game with subpar play and boneheaded coaching. HOWEVER, as the announcers said, those non-calls at the end would have been fouls the previous 47 minutes. I HATE THAT. A foul should be a foul regardless what time of the game it occurs. Happens in football too.

not very good when Manu says things about being devastated and unsure how to come back from this game. this really felt like the Spurs best shot and, to borrow from Omar Little, you come at the king(/NBA champion), you best not miss.

not very good when Manu says things about being devastated and unsure how to come back from this game. this really felt like the Spurs best shot and, to borrow from Omar Little, you come at the king(/NBA champion), you best not miss.
That's just the heat of the moment emotions. He carries his emotions on his shoulder and feeds off of it, so he's not gonna mask anything. Of course he's devastated, but knowing what kind of competitor he is, manu definitely is not gonna lay down for anybody.

Mark my words, spurs will come out swinging game 7 and it will be another great game.

As for the heat, as much as I can't stand them, I cannot hate on that effort and the will to continue and fight. Bad calls happen all the time. As the home team, they were getting called on some questionable calls as well, but that's life.

Though lebron needs to give ray Allen some amazing bear hugs for saving him from the choking ridicule because even though lebron brought them back, he almost lost it single handedly in the end.

Alls I'm saying is that had Miami layed and elbow on the spurs the way manu layed one on James, you guys would be crying for a suspension. There wasn't even consideration for a flagrant either. Bad calls happen to both teams. Quit the damn crying, this board is going overboard.

i absolutely agree with you. pop made an uncharacteristic amount of questionable calls at the end of the 4th quarter and at the end of overtime, first by pulling duncan on the final defensive possessions of regulation when securing defensive rebounds was absolutely necessary, leading to three-pointers for miami off offensive rebounds on not one, but two separate occasions...

then he failed to call timeout after the spurs secured a rebound with 10 or so seconds left in OT, while tony parker was stashed on the bench. if he was going to sub parker for offensive and/or defensive matchups in the final minutes, then he and/or his team should have been prepared to call the remaining timeout they had left, especially when the resulting play was an out-of-control and awful-all-game-long manu ginobili barreling into the paint, desperately searching for a foul. if you were planning on attempting to beat the heat in transition in the waning seconds of the game, then parker's the guy who needed to be running the break, but he was stuck to the bench!!

then pop made one last boneheaded call by putting splitter on the court in the final 1.9 of OT when a three-pointer was absolutely necessary. it made sense to have duncan in for the inbounds to pass over the top of the defense, but the other four spurs should have been shooters. there was no time for an offensive rebound if the three was missed, and having splitter out there only made the heat's defensive assignment easier on that last possession. it's so unusual for such a great coach like popovich to outsmart himself, but he did, and he may very well have handed the heat a repeat title in the process...

Last edited:
i absolutely agree with you. pop made an uncharacteristic amount of questionable calls at the end of the 4th quarter and at the end of overtime, first by pulling duncan on the final defensive possessions of regulation when securing defensive rebounds was absolutely necessary, leading to three-pointers for miami off offensive rebounds on not one, but two separate occasions...

then he failed to call timeout after the spurs secured a rebound with 10 or so seconds left in OT, while tony parker was stashed on the bench. if he was going to sub parker for offensive and/or defensive matchups in the final minutes, then he and/or his team should have been prepared to call the remaining timeout they had left, especially when the resulting play was an out-of-control and awful-all-game-long manu ginobili barreling into the paint, desperately searching for a foul. if you were planning on attempting to beat the heat in transition in the waning seconds of the game, then parker's the guy who needed to be running the break, but he was stuck to the bench!!

then pop made one last boneheaded call by putting splitter on the court in the final 1.9 of OT when a three-pointer was absolutely necessary. it made sense to have duncan in for the inbounds to pass over the top of the defense, but the other four spurs should have been shooters. there was no time for an offensive rebound if the three was missed, and having splitter out there only made the heat's defensive assignment easier on that last possession. it's so unusual for such a great coach like popovich to outsmart himself, but he did, and he may very well have handed the heat a repeat title in the process...
Well .. .sometimes the ball just doesn't bounce your way. On the first 3 that Lebron hit 3 Spurs went for the rebound and essentially knocked it out of each others' hands. It went to Miller, passed it to James and he hit a 3. The Allen was just ... wow. I didn't quite understand the Splitter substitution because frankly Splitter has been absolutely useless this series. He seems slow-footed and is playing a step behind everyone else. I was hoping that the Spurs would close it out in this game but hopefully we'll have a good game 7 with the Spurs coming out on top. Danny Green needs to stop trying to dribble the ball and Gary Neal needs to look for Green more. He missed him wide open a couple of times. All in all this wasn't the Spurs best effort, and they were that close to winning a championship. Fully expect both teams to come out with lots of intensity in game 7.

Alls I'm saying is that had Miami layed and elbow on the spurs the way manu layed one on James, you guys would be crying for a suspension. There wasn't even consideration for a flagrant either. Bad calls happen to both teams. Quit the damn crying, this board is going overboard.
You mean when James got caught my Manu reaching in then flopped after Manu pushed him off?

Status
Not open for further replies.