The 2013 NBA Finals: (1) Miami Heat vs (2) San Antonio Spurs

Who will be NBA Champions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spurs in 6. Popavich will not let this flopping one man team beat him.

As much as id like to see Timmy Duncan get another Finals MVP so he could have one in 3 different decades, i think it will have to be Parker for the spurs to win

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This should be an incredible series. The flopping advantage will be minimized as the Spurs can give as good as they get in that regard, although it's been gratifying to note them using that particular strategy much less often.

i hate Texas. I hate Texas teams. And I hope this particular Texas team slaps the crap out of Miami. Spurs in 6.

I have a great respect for San Antonio. Poppovich should have had COY every year for the last 15 years, he's the greatest basketball mind in the NBA. Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time, and Tony Parker is beggining to rise in to that legion of great ones. They have young studs in guys like Kawhi Leonard and Patty Mills. And they're about to win a championship with the same damned core that they've been using for a decade. Spurs in 6.

I have a great respect for San Antonio. Poppovich should have had COY every year for the last 15 years, he's the greatest basketball mind in the NBA. Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward of all time, and Tony Parker is beggining to rise in to that legion of great ones. They have young studs in guys like Kawhi Leonard and Patty Mills. And they're about to win a championship with the same damned core that they've been using for a decade. Spurs in 6.
Agree with most except Patty Mills. Young stud?? He barely even plays. But he's a heck of a team mate who cheers dang hard for the team from the bench.

It would be Cavs vs. Spurs 2.0! 4-0 sweep :) Just for the fun of it.

I didn't think the Spurs would sweep the Grizzlies and the Heat had a tough time beating the Pacers without Granger.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This should be an incredible series. The flopping advantage will be minimized as the Spurs can give as good as they get in that regard, although it's been gratifying to note them using that particular strategy much less often.

i hate Texas. I hate Texas teams. And I hope this particular Texas team slaps the crap out of Miami. Spurs in 6.
Sums up my sentiments.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I've been telling my friend, Hidden Dragons, the entire playoffs that I think that T-Mac has one more 30-point game in him. Here's hoping he gets it against Miami.

In championship final 2-3-2 format: Spurs win game 1. Heat win game 2. Spurs win 2 of 3 at home heading back to Miami leading 3-2. Heat get game 6. Then in deciding 7th game... San Antonio defeats Miami for their 5th NBA world championship in last 14 years - all of them strangely won in "odd number years." Immediately afterwards, Pop, Duncan, Ginobili all announce their retirements riding off in the sunset as three Spurs locks for basketball Hall of Fame. Tony Parker named series MVP with Kawhi Leonard major factor. I really think it unfolds this way and hope it does - but acknowledge it could go other way with these two great determined teams. Should be fun!

Heat play like they did in game 7 of ECF and crush Spurs in 5. Spurs win game 4, then are routed in game 5.

I hope I'm wrong, please God let me be wrong. I'd love Spurs to win but.. just don't see how.

Start comparing what Miami did to Indiana to what San Antonio did to Memphis and you'll get yourself in trouble by thinking that's a good formula to make a prediction. Matchups are key. The Pacers were able to push the Heat around. Take them off their comfort spots. Spurs can't do that to Miami. They'll be able to get to their spots and run their offense with ease. I'm curious to see how Miami's defense performs against this machine of an offense, but I think this matchup favors Miami. Got them winning in 6.

I strongly believe Heat are beatable watching the Bulls and Pacers game. And the way they defend that pick and roll, Parker would have so much options. But the Spurs were beatable judging from how the Warriors played the Spurs on the 2nd round but found it kind of an anomaly as the Warriors were just shooting out of their mind.

I think the big 3 of each team would cancel out each other, it's the role players that will dictate who will win the Championship. If Spurs reserves (Leonard, Green, Neal, Bonner, Splitter) perform and their 3's are dropping then Spurs could win it, but if they don't and played like how the OKC eliminated them last year then Heat will take it. For the Heat, you can't just discount what Birdman brings to the Heat team, his energy and frustrating the opposing players is just a good addition to them. Also, i could see Battier and Miller including Haslem can now be a factor as well. It is also kind of unfair knowing the Heat still has Ray Allen and Rashard that can make a few 3's. But we did see how the Heat looked like when their shooters are non existent and force Lebron play 1 vs 5, which i believe would be Spurs strategy in beating the Heat. If Leonard can stay on Lebron without double teams and the Spurs wing players shut down the outside 3s then it is all over for the Heat.

On a side note, the referees should learn and not call a foul whenever any player snaps back their head and flails outwardly their hands and fall. Flopping is just so freaking disgusting and hate it when players exaggerate just to get the call. I would even go the distance and have NBA call a technical on a flopping player during the game to stop this non sense.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Spurs in 6. Spurs defense will have it's hands full, but Miami will have no answer at all for Spurs offense. Edge goes to the Spurs because of Pop, Spolstra is just no match for the old man.

I actually think that the Heat are far better equipped to deal with the Spurs' p'n'r attack than with the Pacers pounding them in the lowpost. the Spurs offense is great, but it can struggle against very athletic teams, like last year's series against the Thunder showed. if Bosh and Wade, both with less responsibility defensively, are healthy and can provide an offensive spark, this could be over sooner than the ECF.

The spurs are basically the same team as last year, which was thrashed in the final 4 games against the thunder, who themselves went on to get thrashed by these same miami heat so common sense would say that over the course of a 7 game series the better team(the heat) would win, since these two teams never really played at full strength against each other that surprise factor is still there but in all likelihood the heat will small ball the spurs to death.

Lebron was asked re losing to the spurs in 2007 and what it could mean-

He said something along the lines of ...'I am 20 40 50 times better today than what I was in 2007'... I hope they lose in four.

The Pacers should have won game one, and games five and seven they couldn't keep pace with the Heat's scoring. I don't see the Spurs doing the same. The Spurs have proven clutch ability and see out games, and their offense is good enough to stay with them. So for me if the Heat continue to play as they are then I think the Spurs take it in six, but if Bosh and Wade step up to support LeBron they might win it in seven.

My bet is on the Spurs in six.

The Pacers should have won game one, and games five and seven they couldn't keep pace with the Heat's scoring. I don't see the Spurs doing the same. The Spurs have proven clutch ability and see out games, and their offense is good enough to stay with them. So for me if the Heat continue to play as they are then I think the Spurs take it in six, but if Bosh and Wade step up to support LeBron they might win it in seven.

My bet is on the Spurs in six.
Why should they have won game one?? George hit an insane 3 to force OT and then got "fouled" on a bizarre play to give his team a one point lead, only for Miami to beat them on a legit, designed play.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why should they have won game one?? George hit an insane 3 to force OT and then got "fouled" on a bizarre play to give his team a one point lead, only for Miami to beat them on a legit, designed play.
There was a 'bad' decision to have Hibbert, remember him blocking Melo's dunk? He's their best rim defender, and to have him on the bench right at the death for me was a questionable decision, and one that [might have] influenced the outcome. With Hibbert on the court then they might have forced the Heat into a jump shot rather than a lay up, he might have blocked LeBron, or fouled him and made LeBron go to the line. For me, Hibbert not being on the court was a mistake that potentially cost them a victory.

Another factor was right at the death, Paul George went aggressively and got too close to LeBron to force a lay up. Sure he made him go for the finish with his left, but LeBron is still a damn good finisher at the rim, and generally most tend to prefer to make LeBron shoot a jumper rather than go for a lay up. Granted he could still sink a jump shot, but I'd rather force LeBron to shoot a jumper than go for a lay up. So George made a mistake, and to top it off, no one contested LeBron after he drove past George. If my memory serves Young was the nearest and he just watched in awe.

It was a game that could, and perhaps should have been won by the Pacers if they had made sure that LeBron didn't get an easy lay up. That is the beauty of hindsight. But my point was that they won't (or at least shouldn't) get that type of opportunity against the Spurs. I don't see Pop leaving his best rim defender on the bench, or the Spurs turning the ball over as much, or in the other games getting blown away by the Heat's offense. I see the Spurs keeping it much closer, and with their experience, ability and decision making by their head coach, I feel the Spurs will beat the Heat if the Heat play like they did against the Pacers. I see them taking full advantage, whereas the Pacers did not.

The spurs are basically the same team as last year, which was thrashed in the final 4 games against the thunder, who themselves went on to get thrashed by these same miami heat so common sense would say that over the course of a 7 game series the better team(the heat) would win, since these two teams never really played at full strength against each other that surprise factor is still there but in all likelihood the heat will small ball the spurs to death.
On paper yes. But I disagree, Leonard was a rookie, Splitter was just getting into rotation and Manu was injured and was not 100% in last year's OKC series. Then, Miami now has a less than 100% Bosh and Wade although Lebron is Lebron. OKC was killed because no one on that team can defend Lebron, they made the mistake of putting Durant on Lebron and that's where I believe how they lost. It's all about match ups and I think Spurs have the perfect offense to counter Heat's defense.

Otherwise, it will be an interesting series, I'd like the Spurs to win so Duncan can get his 5th ring, ties Kobe?? :)

I'm really impressed with the poise of Tiago Splitter. I guess that's what Pop and Duncan can do for a young big.
lots of good decisions, for sure. shaving off that wispy mustache chief among them.

Spurs have been looking rusty so far. the broadcasters have mentioned the missed open threes, but Duncan has also missed some midrange shots he'd usually make and Parker's been pretty off as well. if they can improve on that and continue to play good defense on LeBron (how good is Kawhi Leonard, btw?) and Wade (Green, as well), this will be an interesting series.

lots of good decisions, for sure. shaving off that wispy mustache chief among them.

Spurs have been looking rusty so far. the broadcasters have mentioned the missed open threes, but Duncan has also missed some midrange shots he'd usually make and Parker's been pretty off as well. if they can improve on that and continue to play good defense on LeBron (how good is Kawhi Leonard, btw?) and Wade (Green, as well), this will be an interesting series.
The Spurs defense has ratcheted up in the 4th and it's showing. This is how NBA basketball should be played. Heat with 4 TO in the 4th quarter while the Spurs are hitting clutch shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.