Wednesday morning and latest news, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Stern: Good team you folks put together there
VR: If I ran the Zoo I could do better ;)
Stern: Any idea who you would hire up front and to coach
VR: We have a few ideas... some big names
Stern: Make sure I get seats... god knows I can't ever go to any games in Sea ;)

VR: We have a "Stern" suite, just for you
Stern: Great.... now, initial here... and here... and here.... and sign here... and I'll take the check now, please.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I think the point is, there is a signed, "binding" sales agreement for the team. As long as the Sacramento agreement (that the NBA considers "binding" as well) gives the Maloofs the same amount of walking money, I think the NBA and Sacramento just say "take it or leave it" as the next bid for a non-mobile franchise will be a LOT less.

I don't think there will be much "negotiating" involved.
I pray that there is no negotiation after this point. Can you imagine waiting for weeks for this to conclude? Vivek has to hire a GM pronto. How can he do that if the Maloofs dilly-dally for weeks and weeks? It is just untenable. The NBA has to got to put an end to this today, or at the latest the end of this week. Otherwise, we all are going to be yanked by the Maloof's chain for weeks in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I pray that there is no negotiation after this point. Can you imagine waiting for weeks for this to conclude? Vivek has to hire a GM pronto. How can he do that if the Maloofs dilly-dally for weeks and weeks? It is just untenable. The NBA has to got to put an end to this today, or at the latest the end of this week. Otherwise, we all are going to be yanked by the Maloof's chain for weeks in the future.
Both Stern and Adam Silver were pretty clear that this has to be resolved soon rather than later. I strongly suspect they are going to do everything possible to urge the Maloofs to get it done. I am concerned that not having Joe and Gavin is another attempt by George to buy time. Hope I'm wrong. This whole thing has made me suspicious of conspiracies lurking around every corner.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Unfortunately there are some good reasons to negotiate a bit with the Maloofs. The Ranadive offer is set at the $515 value, if the NBA essentially forces the Maloofs to accept it, then they have about a $65 million loss. Strong incentive to sue after the deal. So some deal to sweeten the pot to get the Maloofs to not only sign off on the deal but sign a second legal waiver this one specific to this deal.

Both Stern and Adam Silver were pretty clear that this has to be resolved soon rather than later. I strongly suspect they are going to do everything possible to urge the Maloofs to get it done. I am concerned that not having Joe and Gavin is another attempt by George to buy time. Hope I'm wrong. This whole thing has made me suspicious of conspiracies lurking around every corner.
Nice to know Sac has Stern on their side on this thing - whereas last year he was blindsided by the Maloof's backing out of the arena deal and powerless to do anything, I expect Stern is armed and ready this time around. This should be fun.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am concerned that not having Joe and Gavin is another attempt by George to buy time. Hope I'm wrong. This whole thing has made me suspicious of conspiracies lurking around every corner.
That's not paranoia, it is a survival instinct. If you are going to handle snakes there is no such thing as being "overly vigilant"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unfortunately there are some good reasons to negotiate a bit with the Maloofs. The Ranadive offer is set at the $515 value, if the NBA essentially forces the Maloofs to accept it, then they have about a $65 million loss. Strong incentive to sue after the deal. So some deal to sweeten the pot to get the Maloofs to not only sign off on the deal but sign a second legal waiver this one specific to this deal.
Don't you mean $525 million?

I'll disagree with your assumption that the NBA will be forcing the Maloofs to accept a bid that is, in essence, a $65 million loss. The only bids we know the NBA has looked at are the original Seattle bid and our counter-offer, which Stern has said was equal.

I just don't think the NBA is going to recognize the last-minute bid bumps of Seattle's, since the original offer was the one submitted to the NBA for approval.

You could be right, but I think if they do any kind of negotiations with George it will only be to pat him on the head and make him feel loved...at least until the deal is signed.

I would expect Petrie to do the draft.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Twitter:

David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick 1m

. @KJ_MayorJohnson : It's not what we say in the room; it's what we've done over the last 28 years."

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer

I'll disagree with your assumption that the NBA will be forcing the Maloofs to accept a bid that is, in essence, a $65 million loss. The only bids we know the NBA has looked at are the original Seattle bid and our counter-offer, which Stern has said was equal.

I just don't think the NBA is going to recognize the last-minute bid bumps of Seattle's, since the original offer was the one submitted to the NBA for approval.

You could be right, but I think if they do any kind of negotiations with George it will only be to pat him on the head and make him feel loved...at least until the deal is signed.
$525 is right. If you just look at it from the BM point of view despite the deal with Sea being killed, they still could see accepting the Ranadive offer as leaving money on the table... and hey for even a long shot at $65 million it's worth a few grand in legal fees. The league might well find it worth their while to arrange a very favorable repayment of the League loan to the BM to just end the relationship. I know I gave my first wife several thousand dollars in our divorce jsut so she would sign the papers and go away. Never missed the money or her.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Twitter:

David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick 1m

. @KJ_MayorJohnson : It's not what we say in the room; it's what we've done over the last 28 years."
And that, fellow Kings fans, is the bottom line. Our mayor is there again to put a face to the franchise that Seattle cannot get rid of by waving their checkbooks.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I always forget to change mine too when keying in reports :( I always put PST even after daylight savings.
I find daylight Savings to be the ultimate in collective delusion. I reject it like Starbucks lingo. At one time I just flatly refused to change my clocks but that did get to be confusing.

I would expect Petrie to do the draft.
Yeah, most likely. To be honest (and I'm probably in the minority), I wouldn't mind Vivek telling Petrie "here's a blank check, get me a GREAT coach, draft me a GREAT player and don't be afraid to spend in free agency". Having Petrie with an open checkbook and free reign could provide some really good results.

Now of course if Phil Jackson wants the job, then you take him just because you would make a HUGE splash. Otherwise a "free" Petrie (no longer bound by the Clowns) may be the best option out there at the moment.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I can see them pulling some **** like that if the relo is denied. Just do one last stab in the gut of thsi team.
Any such nonsense would get nipped in the bud by Stern. Also, I'd really hope GP doesnt do the draft, considering how much he's ***** the last few.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mayor Kevin Johnson arrives. And guess what Kingsfans folks? That's our very own RYAN walking next to him with the camera. Talk about KF being represented!!!
BKUvL4BCcAEhlyN.jpg

Just like when Larry Ellison came in late with a higher bid when Golden State was up for sale, their are deadlines set by the NBA. That means the offer at the Deadline stands as the official offer.

That is why I think that Hansen group and Maloofs have NO basis to sue.

Once the deadline passes, all of these bump ups by Hansen are just PR moves and tries to make the NBA look bad. There are DEADLINES and I think the NBA will not even acknowledge these increased offers by Hansen.

The Maloofs and HAnsen completely ignores the NBA rules and deadline set, While KJ and Vivek are abiding by all the rules and deadlines set by the NBA.

Who do you think the BOG and other team owners would rather work with in the future?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Twitter:

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 2m

As Sonics fans draped in green shake hands with Kings fans in lobby, reporter quips: "It's a freaking turf war, like the Sharks & the Jets."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And with typical Seattle logic, one of CD's regular taunters from up north explains why there aren't more Sonics fans in the house:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 2m

“@206empire: @CrownDowntown if we were there in force it would be viewed as antagonistic and not good support for our owners.”

What?!

Status
Not open for further replies.