Future for Smart not too rosy

it's certainly an improbability of the highest order that keith smart will be back as head coach of the kings next season. unfortunately, the longer the nba drags out the vote to sell/relocate, the shallower the pool of quality available head coaches will become...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
it's certainly an improbability of the highest order that keith smart will be back as head coach of the kings next season. unfortunately, the longer the nba drags out the vote to sell/relocate, the shallower the pool of quality available head coaches will become...
I'm willing to bet there have already been discussions amidst our ownership group about potential GM and coach candidates. Also, I don't think there's anything to prohibit Vivek from having a few non-binding casual discussions. He doesn't own the team yet, so he wouldn't be bound by any NBA restrictions, especially if it's in the "what if" category.

I'm willing to bet that getting a competent staff will not be a problem.

I'm willing to bet there have already been discussions amidst our ownership group about potential GM and coach candidates. Also, I don't think there's anything to prohibit Vivek from having a few non-binding casual discussions. He doesn't own the team yet, so he wouldn't be bound by any NBA restrictions, especially if it's in the "what if" category.

I'm willing to bet that getting a competent staff will not be a problem.
over time, i absolutely agree. but if you're an available head coach who is actively seeking employment, waiting for the BoG vote to shake out while there are open positions elsewhere may not be the most attractive option. the kings are a reclamation project whether they remain in sacramento or relocate to seattle. it's a tall order at all levels of the organization to shape this team into a winner. and while i am extraordinarily confident in the capacity of a team properly built around demarcus cousins and tyreke evans, not everyone agrees (kf.com is proof enough of that). i'm not sure how many head coaches are chomping at the bit to land a job with this organization, revamped or otherwise...

but that's not to say that your intuition is off. some of those conversations likely have been had, if not with actual prospective head coaches and gm candidates, then at least internal conversation has taken place amongst the bidding owners regarding the future direction of the organization. personally, i'm hoping that vivek and co. make jeff van gundy an offer he can't refuse, because he's one of the few "available" head coaches who will likely remain so by the time the kings are ready to hire. mike brown has already reunited with the cavaliers, which is fine with me. i wouldn't have touched him with a ten-foot long cattle prod. but there are vacancies in detroit and charlotte. there is also great potential for vacancy in minnesota, phoenix, and elsewhere. i'm just hoping that the cards aren't all dealt by the time the kings are able to organize themselves and take a seat at the table...

If the Grizz are stupid enough to fire Hollins, I'd take him off their hands. That's a no-brainer. He's an excellent coach.
i'd be so agreeable to this, but i just have a hard time believing that the grizzlies would can a guy who led them to the playoffs this season on the back of the league's top-ranked defense, while also dealing with a major midseason trade. but if they wanna try a different approach, i'd suggest the kings make a serious offer to hollins...

Last edited:
i'd be so agreeable to this, but i just have a hard time believing that the grizzlies would can a guy who led them to the playoffs this season on the back of the league's top-ranked defense, while also dealing with a major midseason trade. but if they wanna try a different approach, i'd suggest the kings make a serious offer to hollins...
We fired Rick Adelman after making it to the playoffs 8 straight years in a row. Teams do dumb things. So there is always hope, especially if they lose in the first round.

gunks

Hall of Famer
We fired Rick Adelman after making it to the playoffs 8 straight years in a row. Maloofs do dumb things. So there is always hope, especially if they lose in the first round.
Fixed.

Haha, for real though, your point is valid. Coaches are usually the scapegoat.