Free Agency has started !!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No word yet on anyone being amnestied. They have 7 days to amnesty players.
That's normally not an event to be !!'d around these parts. Free agency is how the rich teams get their advantage over the poor ones. The draft is equal for everyone. Trades are equal for everyone. Free agency...favors teams not like us. :)

I'm just hoping we can at least keep our own (JT, TWill) this time.

Last edited:
I think we all know that the Maloofs won't be spending much over the salary floor, but it will be interesting to see where free agents land, especially Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Deron Williams, Eric Gordon and OJ Mayo.

It'd be nice to pull off some trades to get a decent SF to defend the perimeter/hit the 3 and a true PG to pass the ball to all these scorers.

The delirious side of me is hoping that we can take on some salary via trade (to address our needs at the 1 and 3) and then amnesty Salmons...

This day comes every year and I always think something special will happen for us. I get really really excited......and then nothing happens.

I doubt this year will be different

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
My worry is we match on a JT offer of 7-8M, which given the Maloofs are too poor to amnesty Salmons means we don't have enough to lure a decent FA, and we instead blow all our remaining cap space on a scorer who doesn't fit and severely handicaps us going forward.

As I felt in Dec, our FO/ownership failed us last off season, Chuck/Outlaw/Salmons severely hurt our flexibility, and now I'm almost praying we just don't F it up again. Guarantee they'll be a few angry fans when they see players signing elsewhere for affordable contracts.

My worry is we match on a JT offer of 7-8M, which given the Maloofs are too poor to amnesty Salmons means we don't have enough to lure a decent FA, and we instead blow all our remaining cap space on a scorer who doesn't fit and severely handicaps us going forward.

As I felt in Dec, our FO/ownership failed us last off season, Chuck/Outlaw/Salmons severely hurt our flexibility, and now I'm almost praying we just don't F it up again. Guarantee they'll be a few angry fans when they see players signing elsewhere for affordable contracts.
I never understood those moves.. They didn't even look good on paper let alone on the floor.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Ken Berger: The Rockets "badly" want to retain Dragic, source said, and have been trying to move Kyle Lowry to give him the starting PG job he wants.

I'd still go after Lowry who needs to be moved a quickly so Dragic can sign. I'd try it without MT, and maybe offer Cisco's expiring or future draft picks, maybe a protected 1st rounder. But Hou needs to dump him, everyone knows, and they probably won't get much as they're against the clock.

Ken Berger: The Rockets "badly" want to retain Dragic, source said, and have been trying to move Kyle Lowry to give him the starting PG job he wants.

I'd still go after Lowry who needs to be moved a quickly so Dragic can sign. I'd try it without MT, and maybe offer Cisco's expiring or future draft picks, maybe a protected 1st rounder. But Hou needs to dump him, everyone knows, and they probably won't get much as they're against the clock.
Can't offer a 1st rounder. Remember the Hickson trade?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
From a Portland journalist:

John Canzano ‏@JohnCanzanoBFT
At four years and $32 million... for Asik?!? Nic Batum must be salivating.
I'm posting it as if Asik is getting an offer like that, imagine what JT might get.

i believe it is until cavs collect and we dont know when itll be since its protected until 2017
I think you are right..

Cavs receive the Kings 2012 first-round pick lottery protected in the 2012 Draft, top 13 protected in 2013, top 12 in 2014, top 10 protected in 2015 and 2016, otherwise a 2nd round pick in 2017

I thought we can't trade back to back 1st rounders. Does that apply for say a future 2015 or 16 1st rounder? Or can we not trade a 1st rounder until Cle collects?
It would have to have a condition that it was 2 years after the Cavs deal is completed. Which I believe puts it too far out to make a trade under the rules.

If we're going after Lowry then I think Thomas must be included. We can't play Thomas and Lowry on the floor together because we would be way too undersized on the floor. So that means Thomas would only get minutes when Lowry comes off which isn't much at all. I think Houston would like Thomas. They have Dragic at PG but at 6'4" he is capable of playing some SG which means they could be on the floor together.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
My worry is I don't know if Smart considers TWill a SF. Other than a few 2nd half mins on occasion, and it was somewhat rare, Smart never tried Reke at the 2 and TWill at the 3, even without MT dressing. If he does come back are we even confident Smart would play him at SF? I'm not.

You've got to love organizations that value interior defensive presence

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/219334933389381632
Source: Portland GM Neil Olshey & team prez Larry Miller visited restricted free agent center Roy Hibbert tonight in DC, offered max deal
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/219335569380098048
Sam Amick
‏@sam_amick
Indiana did not offer a max deal, and Hibbert is now leaning to Blazers unless Pacers match. One other unnamed team offered max.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This already is frustrating to watch.

1) Seeing team put a premium on defending with Hibbert/Asik offers.

2) Seeing the market value for bigs being set and JT will most likely get a substancial offer.

3) Even a team like Minn is rumored to be after Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Greg Steisma and Batum. That's aggressive and wanting to improve.

This already is frustrating to watch.

1) Seeing team put a premium on defending with Hibbert/Asik offers.

2) Seeing the market value for bigs being set and JT will most likely get a substancial offer.

3) Even a team like Minn is rumored to be after Brandon Roy, Jamal Crawford, Greg Steisma and Batum. That's aggressive and wanting to improve.
Welcome to the new age circus known as your SACRAMENTO KINGS featuring the Maloofs

:(

On the plus side, if Portland signs Hibbert to the max, they have little chance of re-signing Batum
It would mean something to us if in fact we were going after Batum or are willing to spend the type of money to get Batum. Since we are scrapping the bottom of the barrel, it doesn't really affect us in any way. If we can keep JT and T-Will, I would be satisfied. Address our gaping hole at SF with a good player there, then I am ecstatic. Sign a shot blocker to man the middle and I just might explode from excitement.

I don't think the offer Asik just got is an indication of what JT could demand. Defensive bigs are more valuable (not for the Kings anyways...), and their value is very high. JT is not a defensive big, so this may not affect his offer. I think we should look at a player like Bass and see what he gets, to have an idea of JT's value.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Man oh man the new CBA doesn't seem to have slowed down the crazy offers at all. What that means for us as normal is that we just have to keep our head down and concentrate on just trying not to lose any of our own guys until the frenzy is over. Then like a lowly scavenger we can come creeping out afterward to see if we can't steal some leftover scraps.

Asik -- 3pts 5rebs -- $8mil
Hibbert -- 13pts 9rebs -- MAX
Batum -- 11pts 4reb -- $12mil

and so it goes. The good news is if this keeps up by the end of the summer John Salmons won't have a bad contract anymore.

Last edited:
Man oh man the new CBA doesn't seem to have slowed down the crazy offers at all. What that means for us as normal is that we just have to keep outr head down and concentrate on just trying not to lose any of our own guys until the frenzy is over. Then like a lowly scavenger we can come creeping out afterward to see if we can't steal some leftover scraps.

Asik -- 3pts 5rebs -- $8mil
Hibbert -- 13pts 9rebs -- MAX
Batum -- 11pts 4reb -- $12mil

and so it goes. The good news is if this keeps up by the end of the summer John Salmons won't have a bad contract anymore.
Now that's the way to look at it. Hopefully there is a team out there that likes that contract! :)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Realistically we knew Batum was going to get $12-14 million a year which means Minnesota has actually set the low end here. He's the exact combination of production and potential that every team is looking for. Whoever ups the offer to 4 years and $56 million is going to sign him. I've known this for months and still advocated signing him. The advantage for us is that we already have Robinson, Evans, Cousins, Thornton, and Thomas which means we really only need one player -- specifically a SF -- to start making some noise next year and lead the march back to relevance. If you can't bite the bullet and overpay a bit for potential, than you're just not competitive in this league.

Because of age and injury concerns, Gerald Wallace should be a little cheaper. In the $8-10 million per year range sounds about right to me. 4 years at $40 million is a reasonable offer for him and he's not restricted like Batum. But that would require Geoff to go out and sell Wallace (a) on playing in Sacramento -- which might be a tough sell since he's an east coast guy with a family and (b) that Evans/Cousins/Robinson is the foundation for a young playoff team. Petrie has never struck me as a particularly good salesman in the past. So our dreams of solid production at the SF spot are probably going to have to come via trade. Igoudala is probably best-case scenario for us and they did just draft Moe Harkless who duplicates a lot of his skills. Then again, he's got one year left so they might just hang onto him and trade him for picks at the deadline.

[Doing a little quick salary cap math -- Cousins gets a max extension in two years, Evans probably gets a deal close to Batum's with a 5th year because of the bird rights, and Robinson is on a 4 year rookie deal so giving Batum $14 million a year shouldn't affect our ability to re-sign Cousins or Evans provided Salmons gets amnestied and the Maloofs will allow for player salaries to meet or slightly exceed the salary cap. Yeah, I know, I'm laughing at that one too. Trying to rebuild with broke owners sucks! Hmm, since Lowry is still on the trading block, trading Thornton for Lowry would be one way to save some cash.]

Last edited: