I Are Torn! AKA The Beer thread

In years past I was a major woss advocate. Every time we linned I was very dissappointed. There was one lin in particular, against the Clippers, back about three years ago, with Theus at the helm, that so easily could've and and should've been a woss, and it ended up costing us Joakim freaking Noah. Not kidding. Got us Spencer Hawes vs. Joakim Noah.

That said, this is not the year to go for wosses. A star through the draft is not nearly as important as it has been in the past, simply because we have our 2/3 major pieces already. Of course somehow landing the number one would significantly help matters, but we're not near that position anyway. This year I'm not torn at all, I say just go for as many wins (and they are wins, not lins) this year as possible. Much more important to build team chemistry and confidence. All factors being at play, a major win streak helps us much more than a major losing streak.

In the back of their minds, I bet our players are even thinking "outside shot at the playoffs". Win the next 17 in a row and we're pretty much a shoo in.
Yah that made me mad.. No coin flip to determine draft position if we lost that Clipper game. Sure enough we lost that coin flip and lost Noah =/

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Very familiar with those, yessir! Racer is bomb. AB will have you on one if you aren't careful Bear Republic, Stone Brewing, Lagunitas Brewing are all top notch. We got it good in Sac, if you have taste of course. We need a beer thread up in here!!! A 'What are you drinking' thread.

And as far as the OP (kinda got to contribute I guess), I want to see the team competitive and pull out some close games against good teams, and blow out the lower echelon teams. So I guess I'm rooting for wins, insofar as confidence building.
Ahem. Denver IS known as the Napa Valley of beer...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Guys, yes we lost the coin flip and our shot at Noah, but if it turned out differently, then we don't get Cuz, who I'd much rather have. It's because of getting Hawes and not Noah that we have a Reke and Cuz foundation. Noah probably adds a few wins to our young but bare bones team at that time, and most likely forcing us out of the top 5 the following two drafts.

we don't need another superstar, getting a top 12 pick will be enough to get us a solid player, anywhere from a fringe starter to a rotation player. we already have two legit star talents in cousins and tyreke, and a legit 20 ppg NBA scorer in Thornton. We don't need another max contract type superstar. Right now the priority should be building chemistry, learning to be consistent professionals, and learing how to win.

Guys, yes we lost the coin flip and our shot at Noah, but if it turned out differently, then we don't get Cuz, who I'd much rather have. It's because of getting Hawes and not Noah that we have a Reke and Cuz foundation. Noah probably adds a few wins to our young but bare bones team at that time, and most likely forcing us out of the top 5 the following two drafts.
Or we could of had Noah and Rose since they jumped ahead of us anyways.

You know what Mr. Rainmaker? That is the best point I've heard on this site in a while.

You remind me to have faith in exactly where we're at... which is a damn good place. To be honest, I would not trade our entire franchise with any other right now. Cuz is going to be.. omg I don't even wan to say anymore. And Reke has the humility to do WHATEVER it takes to gir R dun.

Signed,

Happy Hammer

Or we could of had Noah and Rose since they jumped ahead of us anyways.
Go die in a hole or become a Bulls fan. You'd be more content dontchya think? We would be, at least.

p.s. the correct grammar would have been "could have had", not "could of had". Not that you would necessarily care.

Last edited:
N

Nikefutbolero

I cannot for the life of me, ever hope for my team to lose in any situation. As a huge fan of professional sports and someone who has played sports, it goes against every moral fiber in my body.

Win ALL THE TIME. Period.

Yeah, I know I'm only an hour North...but most micro brews per capita up here, and home to New Belgium!!! I am a little bit of a beer snob and look for any chance to brag about that so don't take it as a slight, Denver's got it going on too :)

Anyway, not to get off topic. I am of the mindset that we need to win. It's been so long since we've played this good on a consistent basis and I didn't realize how depressed I was about the team. I can only imagine how this change of pace is making the team feel, and these good feelings need to continue for our core to bond and grow into the team we've all been dreaming of.

I really want the team to win, and was sitting on my couch drinking a lovely Lagunitas IPA yelling at the TV last night, when I realized, wins might not be so great.

What is better for this teams future; Wins to build confidence, or a top 5 pick vs. 7,8 or 9?

I JUST DON'T KNOW!
It is not as if controlling your feelings will make a difference on the Kings rise or fall. We (the fans) hoping for some woss or lins wouldn't make any difference on how the team will do. There is just too many variables that affects team success.

Just do or think or feel whatever it is that makes you happy and enjoy being a fan. Goodluck.

Yeah, I know I'm only an hour North...but most micro brews per capita up here, and home to New Belgium!!! I am a little bit of a beer snob and look for any chance to brag about that so don't take it as a slight, Denver's got it going on too :)

Anyway, not to get off topic. I am of the mindset that we need to win. It's been so long since we've played this good on a consistent basis and I didn't realize how depressed I was about the team. I can only imagine how this change of pace is making the team feel, and these good feelings need to continue for our core to bond and grow into the team we've all been dreaming of.
Ok feel the need to chime in here.

LOVE New Belguim.

Have actually been to Belgium (age 16 and 17) and smuggled back many, many bottles (pre 9/11), and then lived in Colorado for ten years (close to Ft. Collins for several)... and.. Fat Tire was my number one go to beer for that whole time (Guiness always a close second, mostly because I didn't live in Ireland). And, don't think I was just a stout snob, or an ale snob... I loved a good Pilsner... I still love Pilsner Urquell... wish there was an American equivalent... unfortunately there just isn't...

HOWEVER... tonight I tried for the first time (and I wouldn't be posting if the beer I tried was not better than Fat Tire) a beer that immediately took over the number one slot... Irish Death.

You all must try it... if you have any affinity for dark beers... be prepared to love.

If you don't like the darks, and prefer the ales... you'll probably still stick with Fat Tire, Urquell, Hoegaarden, etc...

Let me know y'all. Luv y'all.

Last edited:
Love Denver as a city... I take it you're form Fort Collins? FC? I love Ft. Collins even more. Just a great town. Huge college town, but not a tourist or any other kind of destination, yet right at the foot of everything Colorado. And, most restaurants per capita of any town in the US, consistenly ranked among best places to live, special place in my heart for the Fort.

That said, the state of Oregon's got if firmly beat for beer. Portland-to-Eugene in particular. I've lived both paces. Fat Tire's good, but overall selection... Oregon really is the Napa Valley of beers. Colorado could be the France. :)

Just to repeat what many here have already said, the Kings need to win more to develop. It will help them buy into the system and motivate them to continue gelling together and developing their games. We really, really don't need another lottery player that we'll need to wait years to get production out of them. This team has its young core set up (Cuz/Reke/Thornton), now we just need to put the role players around them (IT and JT are both great starts).

I'd rather see us start winning and then getting a SF in FA.

the idea clearly is doing it like Chicago or Portland. have a team with good pieces, have a good end to the season and still win the lottery for a Rose or a (shot at) Durant. as an aside, Portland has, once again, done everything right and are currently on pace for two top10 picks in this year's draft (thanks, Mr. King, very well done). once they rid themselves of Felton and Crawford that is going to be a strong team once again. I really admire their management.

as for the beer talk: I'm really sorry for you guys, greetings from the mecca of good beer though.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Ok feel the need to chime in here.

LOVE New Belguim.

Have actually been to Belgium (age 16 and 17) and smuggled back many, many bottles (pre 9/11), and then lived in Colorado for ten years (close to Ft. Collins for several)... and.. Fat Tire was my number one go to beer for that whole time (Guiness always a close second, mostly because I didn't live in Ireland). And, don't think I was just a stout snob, or an ale snob... I loved a good Pilsner... I still love Pilsner Urquell... wish there was an American equivalent... unfortunately there just isn't...

HOWEVER... tonight I tried for the first time (and I wouldn't be posting if the beer I tried was not better than Fat Tire) a beer that immediately took over the number one slot... Irish Death.

You all must try it... if you have any affinity for dark beers... be prepared to love.

If you don't like the darks, and prefer the ales... you'll probably still stick with Fat Tire, Urquell, Hoegaarden, etc...

Let me know y'all. Luv y'all.
You don't know what you got yourself into. (I'm actually FROM Northern California.)

New Belgium is probably pretty low on the scale for me - I prefer Avery and Great Divide. I'm not a fan of Fat Tire, but I did like their cocoa molé stout. It was delicious. The Yeti from GD is fantastic, and pretty much everything Avery puts out is top notch. In your area you probably have better access to Grand Teton than I do. Last year I was visiting the in-laws, and knocked over an old lady for the last 4 pack of Black Cauldron in the area (which for Idaho, pretty much means everywhere but Boise.) Speaking of Irish Death, which I'll have to keep an eye out for, I'm going to be headed out to get some Dark Lord in about a month. Now that's tasty stuff..

If you want a good pilsner, your best bet will probably be to brew your own. Especially up there in Idaho where you can get the temps to where you need them.

Anyway, back to the team...

I also wouldn't mind packaging picks/youth for that last player to speed up the growth..but it has to be the right vet.

Anyone that advocates losing on purpose is a real loser. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a real loser. The last three games have been about the willingness to compete and put forth EFFORT. Anyone that can't see this is missing the most important point there is regarding this team.

Anyone that advocates losing on purpose is a real loser. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a real loser. The last three games have been about the willingness to compete and put forth EFFORT. Anyone that can't see this is missing the most important point there is regarding this team.
in the recent history of this franchise there have been so many examples of bad and unnecessary winning that only prolonged the woes of a structurally unsound team. if you are telling me that losing in the right time is never correct, then I have to vehemently disagree with you. that said, right now that the foundation of the team is laid and the core is young, it is essential that they keep winning and gelling together, so the losing does need to stop.

I don't even understand trying to lose. I don't understand it from anybodies point of view - team, coaches, players, fans. I ASSUME what this thread is about, and threads like this in previous years, is how to look on legitimate wins and loses by fans on here.

On the other side of the coin, the lottery, where we pick in the first round, it is such a crap shoot that I don't allow myself to get swept up in that. I have seen too many years where we have had good pick placement, meaning we lost the hell out of the season games, and still not been happy with our place, the person we pick, etc etc. Even when we got Evans and Cousins, folks on here we unhappy because we weren't higher, able to pick somebody else, etc.

Just win out the season or try like hell, hope to pick someone in the draft that is useful someday, and move on. I will follow every minute of it, but, as I said in an earlier post, enjoy gambling somewhere else. Win tonight and I'll be rooting for wins the rest of the way.

Hammer, you must like bitter beers. I won't drink anything from a green bottle and I think Fat Tire tastes like pee.

As I am getting older and fatter I prefer beers with a higher alcohol %. Not that I am drinking to get ripped, but I just never understood drinking 16 coors lights. All it does it make you full and have to pee.

I can drink a 6 pack of IPA's or something like that, feel pretty good and not feel like I consumed 4,000 calories.

I used to really like Sac Brewing company, but they went out of business. We have a ton of great micro breweries in NoCal. I was in Vermont recently and they had a brewery called Longtrail, which was awesome. They had a triple bach that was over 10% and they legally could only sell you two pints if you ate their. a 4 pack was like $10, but totally worth it.

Have any of you tried a beer called Caracole Saxo? Pretty sure it's a lager and the only place I've tried it at is at this German sausage place in the DTLA Arts District called Würstkuche(pronounced vers-ku-sha)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hammer, you must like bitter beers. I won't drink anything from a green bottle and I think Fat Tire tastes like pee.

As I am getting older and fatter I prefer beers with a higher alcohol %. Not that I am drinking to get ripped, but I just never understood drinking 16 coors lights. All it does it make you full and have to pee.

I can drink a 6 pack of IPA's or something like that, feel pretty good and not feel like I consumed 4,000 calories.

I used to really like Sac Brewing company, but they went out of business. We have a ton of great micro breweries in NoCal. I was in Vermont recently and they had a brewery called Longtrail, which was awesome. They had a triple bach that was over 10% and they legally could only sell you two pints if you ate their. a 4 pack was like $10, but totally worth it.
This is funny because Portland and Oregon are like IPA nirvana and I enjoy them quite a bit but I don't really care to get drunk that often and find its way too easy to overdo it with IPAs. But with all these local microbrews I feel bad drinking Guinness and Newcastle which generally don't do much to me. Agreed on Fat Tire though.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
People say that, but it really has in a huge way. Yeah, we did not get #1, but because our record was so bad even though somebody else got #1, #2 and #3, we didn't slip far and were still thee at #4 and #5 to pcik up our future cornerstones. If we had gone off and won 5 more games each year you're looking at a team that might ahve ended up with Johnny Flynn and Cole Aldrich instead, and then our future really would have been grim.
At the same time one year we actually would have moved up significantly by being lower in the draft order by a spot or two. Obviously we don't want to win 10 meaningless games against our fellow cellar dwellers at the end of the season but aside from that getting a winning mentality and a thirst for victories back is a good thing overall.

Have any of you tried a beer called Caracole Saxo? Pretty sure it's a lager and the only place I've tried it at is at this German sausage place in the DTLA Arts District called Würstkuche(pronounced vers-ku-sha)
never heard of it before, but apparently it's Belgian. we don't get, well basically any Belgian beer in regular stores and the ones that do carry them (the house of 1000 beers) is too much of a pain to get to, when any regular supermarket has large sections devoted entirely to German and Czezch beer (I live near the boarder). generally I stick to German Pilsner or Czech Lager and drink Weißbier when watching football.