Can the Maloof Family Be Trusted to Negotiate in Good Faith

U.S. Bank Tower. Started in 2006 and was completed in 2008.

ERRR EDIT: I stand corrected.. I meant The Parthenon building i.e. Bank of the West Tower. Started in 2007 and completed in 2009.. My bad. I knew they went up at about the same time though and had similar building times. I can see the skyline from my house so I get a good view of how long it takes. :)

Can't see an arena taking much longer. I see them starting it in January of one year, and it being ready by the season following the one that same year.

Anyway, both buildings are very nice looking.

Last edited:
Seattle could not put up this kind of fight, it was actually out of Seattle's hands, the Eastern part of the state threw a hissy fit after Qwest was built with public funds and pushed through a ballot measure barring any future public funding for sports teams so no need to punch the heroin shooting commie pinko hippies on this one.
It's so nice we have the extreme right wingers around to slap derogitory labels on everything they have a disagreement with. I know you are speaking with tongue in cheek but it just gets so rediculous.

U.S. Bank Tower. Started in 2006 and was completed in 2008.

ERRR EDIT: I stand corrected.. I meant The Parthenon building i.e. Bank of the West Tower. Started in 2007 and completed in 2009.. My bad. I knew they went up at about the same time though and had similar building times. I can see the skyline from my house so I get a good view of how long it takes. :)

Can't see an arena taking much longer. I see them starting it in January of one year, and it being ready by the season following the one that same year.

Anyway, both buildings are very nice looking.
The person is charge got it done. ;)

I would hope they will be breaking ground before July 2012.

It's so nice we have the extreme right wingers around to slap derogitory labels on everything they have a disagreement with. I know you are speaking with tongue in cheek but it just gets so rediculous.
Hey, I'm left of center...yet on the arena issue, I definitely think my side ain't helpin' things none...

And what exactly did you just do? That isn't. A trait of extreme right wingers.... its a trait of idiotic people on all ends of the spectrum.

It's so nice we have the extreme right wingers around to slap derogitory labels on everything they have a disagreement with. I know you are speaking with tongue in cheek but it just gets so ridiculous.
I was thinking the same thing. There are a few posts in this thread that sound extremely ignorant and childish, and clearly from a few people who know dick about Seattle.

And what exactly did you just do? That isn't. A trait of extreme right wingers.... its a trait of idiotic people on all ends of the spectrum.
That's not at all what he did. Where did he make a derogatory comment, and where did he label more than just the individuals who took pot shots at 'hippies' and Seattle?

I was thinking the same thing. There are a few posts in this thread that sound extremely ignorant and childish, and clearly from a few people who know dick about Seattle.
Dude I live in seattle and one trait we have up here is being able to make fun of ourselves.

And just to be sure, we're all referring to my post that started the name calling, right?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hey, I'm left of center...yet on the arena issue, I definitely think my side ain't helpin' things none...
Both sides help and both sides hurt, this is one issue that transcends the traditional left-right dichotomy. It makes for some strange bedfellows. Basically you've got the anti-rich on the left joining with the anti-taxers on the right against and you've got the pro-development segment on the left allying with the pro-business wing of the right. Simplifying a bit, but here's one where nobody can claim with a straight face that their side has all the answers and the other is the devil.

And just in case it wasn't obvious I was making fun of a stereotype.

Last edited:
Both sides help and both sides hurt, this is one issue that transcends the traditional left-right dichotomy. It makes for some strange bedfellows. Basically you've got the anti-rich on the left joining with the anti-taxers on the right against and you've got the pro-development segment on the left allying with the pro-business wing of the right. Simplifying a bit, but here's one where nobody can claim with a straight face that their side has all the answers and the other is the devil.

I'd say this is a pretty succinct summary. I'm firmly on the left, and I support growth and development, but I have a hard time backing a tax increase that increases parking downtown and discourages density and growth. I'm also of the opinion that whoever foots the bigger portion of the bill should have the most say in the design.

And just in case it wasn't obvious I was making fun of a stereotype.
Hey, I'm a computer scientist who recycles, and I got it. I bet that Mark Cuban, Paul Allen, Larry Ellison, and a ton of other recycling IT people would also get it, as would some former CS students like David Robinson and Chris Bosh. It was a stereotype so absurd that SOMEONE had to make fun of it.

Hey, I'm a computer scientist who recycles, and I got it. I bet that Mark Cuban, Paul Allen, Larry Ellison, and a ton of other recycling IT people would also get it, as would some former CS students like David Robinson and Chris Bosh. It was a stereotype so absurd that SOMEONE had to make fun of it.
With all due respect to my fellow northewester PDX's sense of humor, I'm going to have to make sure I get credit for the computer recycler harangue. You're welcome.

However I'm willing to collaberate on a mashup and say pinko hippie computer nerd recycler sports hater frisbee golfer former Obama supporter driven to the Ron Paul camp.

Can't we all just get along?

We do all need to get along, for the sake of keeping the kings. We have to realize that this project will cost a lot and will probably mean higher taxes somewhere just to get it done.

I lean so far to the right i have trouble standing up. I hate the idea of a tax increase but if it means keeping the kings and if the tax has a sunset built in then im all for it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Their capability/assets to negotiate and contribute to a mutual effort for growth worry me more than trusting them right now....
The Maloofs and the city can agree to an arena, a location, and other details but at a certain point the subject of money comes up. Many arenas are city owned with the tenant paying a hefty rent. I presume the details of who gets what can be negotiated and there are plenty of precedents in the league to copy.

What happens though if all the expense must be shouldered by the city in one way or another? Remember that KJ said the city would build an arena with or without the Kings being here. I hope that means he has something in mind that is not dependent on the Maloofs or that idea, the city would build no matter what, was just wishful thinking.

Does anyone have factual knowledge of who owns the other arenas in the NBA? Is it the city as in Orlando (and Anaheim for that matter) or something else? I really fear what will happen if the city has to shoulder the burden. As most here seem clear that the Maloofs are darn near broke, I'm not sure what to expect from them whether they are bargaining in good faith or not.

The Xcel Center in St. Paul is city owned.

I hope that part of the NBA's support for the area is a promise of an All Star weekend at the new arena. That might make this all more palatable for the citizens.

I'm starting to worry that they'll ignore the league and move anyways. Didn't Sterling do that with the Clippers and there was nothing the league could do to stop him? If the Magoofs are that dead set on Anaheim, what's to stop them from going there?

an incredibly high relocation fee.... if they still file and continue on this stubborn route.. would they risk the fury of the league?
They know they don't have the votes so I doubt they'd file. I'm worried they'll just go without filing and turn in into a court battle. I don't know the details but i think Sterling moved without filing.

I lean so far to the right i have trouble standing up. I hate the idea of a tax increase but if it means keeping the kings and if the tax has a sunset built in then im all for it.
I know we don't get political here, but this kind of hits on a key point.

We need to build an an arena, and that arena will spark business and commerce (right) but it will require at least some kind of investment of public dollars if only even bonds (left) but requires the vision of the city council to take a business risk (right) with public dollars (left) for the benefit of the greater business and economic whole (right and left)

It's kind of a complicated politicial issue. But I suspect the presence of Burkle or other private dollars to back it or at least alleviate some of the risk somehow will be the enabling factor this time around.

It's a lot less "last ditch" than people realize because when things get to this point is when waiting parties finally act, because this is when the political payoff is the greatest. Burkle now gets the opportunity to appear as the savior, as well as the local businesses and sponsors, as well as the Mayor and the city council (provided the tide turns-- as it is-- eliminating some of the political risk.) This in no way is meant to diminish the incredible efforts of the Mayor. Kudos to him.

Last edited:
they'd be making enemies left and right if they take it to the court.. a lot of people are saying this isnt the NFL or something... its going to be their lawyers against the high priced lawyers of the league, buss, and of course sacramento if it comes to it. there's also the one in anaheim the one that required 11k signatures postponing the money till the next voting or someting some time june 2012.

if they are saying that they are protecting the business they then stern could counter that it is against the leagues best interest... their franchise is just 1 out of 30 of the franchises. they wont take it to court they dont have and can't afford to lose anymore money

We do all need to get along, for the sake of keeping the kings. We have to realize that this project will cost a lot and will probably mean higher taxes somewhere just to get it done.

I hear you there. I'm not far right by any means but I lean right on the majority of tax issues. The Kings are one of the exceptions where I'd gladly sacrifice my principles and vote for an arena tax if that's what it took to keep them here.

they'd be making enemies left and right if they take it to the court.. a lot of people are saying this isnt the NFL or something... its going to be their lawyers against the high priced lawyers of the league, buss, and of course sacramento if it comes to it. there's also the one in anaheim the one that required 11k signatures postponing the money till the next voting or someting some time june 2012.

if they are saying that they are protecting the business they then stern could counter that it is against the leagues best interest... their franchise is just 1 out of 30 of the franchises. they wont take it to court they dont have and can't afford to lose anymore money
I know there's a lot of resistance they'd face but what i'm wondering if the NBA could actually stop them. Like say they start loading up the moving trucks and give a big middle finger to the NBA, can the NBA actually do anything legally to stop them? I know it doesn't seem likely they'd do that these guys are obviously extremely stubborn and desperate to boot.

I know there's a lot of resistance they'd face but what i'm wondering if the NBA could actually stop them. Like say they start loading up the moving trucks and give a big middle finger to the NBA, can the NBA actually do anything legally to stop them? I know it doesn't seem likely they'd do that these guys are obviously extremely stubborn and desperate to boot.
i don't know what happens if they do that probably the league does not consider them as a franchise? no team plays with them? i don't know, id like to know where the line credit they took went... that could be a very handy weapon against them if even a LITTLE percentage of it went to non nba related things.

the city is already coming up with money for them just to stay.. I have not seen any one reject money with out the hardwork and effort put up into getting it... their stubbornness stems from their past that they wont repeat that selling the rockets was a mistake, when in truth they are making a mistake of an even greater magnitude, that can utterly label them as bad businessmen... truth be told they are holding on to something they just can't afford anymore. the billionaire lifestyle is over. they just are too stubborn to see it.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The NBA didn't really have the kind of TV contracts and other money at stake when Sterling moved. It also probably wasn't worth the anti-trust fight (this happened right around the same time the USFL began taking on the NFL).