I live in the OC and close to Anaheim...

Seriouslly, everyone who is in Sacramento who wants the team to stay - PARADE AROUND ARCO ARENA TOMORROW AT NOON. Call up everyone you know who is a Kings fan and see if they'll go with you. That might actually get something accomplished if you have enough people there.
Even if you got 100 thousand people out there, do you really think it would change The Maloof's minds?

Sacramento is 2-3 horus away and offers a lot of fanbase for the MLB's & NFL's SF and Oakland teams, if the Raiders ever moved to Sacramento, you would not see Niner fans switching sides, if the Giants moved to Sacramento, you would not see A's fans switching sides. I find the OC traffic argument a bit of bull.

Sacramento is 2-3 horus away and offers a lot of fanbase for the MLB's & NFL's SF and Oakland teams, if the Raiders ever moved to Sacramento, you would not see Niner fans switching sides, if the Giants moved to Sacramento, you would not see A's fans switching sides. I find the OC traffic argument a bit of bull.
You sure about that? I could see it happening to an extent.

Even if you got 100 thousand people out there, do you really think it would change The Maloof's minds?
Um, yeah, if 100,000 people were outside the arena tomorrow at noon, that would be one hell of a statement to the Maloofs. Do you know what 100,000 people looks like, congregated at one place?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...IOdlgeG-MlN&page=1&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:30&biw=1280&bih=855

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vu5GdfwqBYo/S_b1G-B87DI/AAAAAAAABBk/-Kf3nLU9SV4/s1600/Lindberg+Paris.jpg

http://eccentricmuse.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/i-have-a-dream-2.jpg

Pick up the phone book in OC and start calling and make 100 random calls.... it would be interesting. On my 95% number... of course there isn't any data on this and it was a number in general... it could be 75% and it could be 95%... who knows but it was used as a number to enforce a point that the OC community in general are not large supporters of the lakers and LA.

I would be interested to learn how the NBA determines a market area though.... imo everything south of bakersfiled should not be considered the la market, there are too many people down there for one market.

There's a reason it's called "Lakersfield". And as someone who has lived in L.A., L.A. county and OC...(and just responding to R1LOVER's post/statistics)...most of the people I know down there, in all areas, are Laker fans. The Clippers moved to L.A. from San Diego while I was in college and they were giving away Clipper tickets for a long, long time, and still couldn't get people to go to the games. I don't know how many pairs of tickets I had that I never used.

Last edited:
Well it'd be worth a shot i suppose. But is such a turnout even possible? Only die hard fans would bother to do it and I'm not sure there's 100000 die hard Kings fans around these days.

There's a reason it's called "Lakersfield". And as someone who has lived in L.A., L.A. county and OC...(and just responding to R1LOVER's post/statistics)...most of the people I know down there, in all areas, are Laker fans. The Clippers moved to L.A. from San Diego while I was in college and they were giving away Clipper tickets for a long, long time, and still couldn't get people to go to the games. I don't know how many pairs of tickets I had that I never used.
And imagine how many of those Lakers fans are in Orange County? Enough of them that Time Warner thinks it can charge a nice little premium to carry their games. This is why I don't understand the OC is a different market theory. Sure there is the pain and price to pay to attend a game at Staples. But those people would just watch the Lakers on TV anyway. They will fight to get tickets for the two games the Lakers will play at the Honda Center, but thinking they will start switching teams and buy season tickets for the Kings? I'm not so sure that number is as big as they think. I guess we'll find out once the novelty wears off.

And imagine how many of those Lakers fans are in Orange County? Enough of them that Time Warner thinks it can charge a nice little premium to carry their games. This is why I don't understand the OC is a different market theory.
It's not a different market to the advertisers and TV ratings.

Well it'd be worth a shot i suppose. But is such a turnout even possible? Only die hard fans would bother to do it and I'm not sure there's 100000 die hard Kings fans around these days.
The 100,000 number is your number. It wouldn't take that many. Ten thousand fans gathered outside of Arco Arena would be a huge statement.

I'm not revising history when I'm talking about recent years and not about what happened over the entire decade. But what about after 2006 when the Maloofs stopped having involvement with the Kings staying in Sacramento and simultaneously began one-by-one dumping of recognizable names for no-names and draft picks? Do I have that part right?
Okay, you're not revising history, you're just wrong. The Kings have had a higher payroll than the Pistons until this season. And the Pistons have been bad and have had better attendance. And they're in the most economically depressed market in the country. Detroit has been dying for years.

And regarding them dumping contracts, that's called a rebuild. It's the reason the team actually has a bright future ahead, rather than trying to build a team around Peja, Miller and Bibby (have you watched any of those three play lately?)

As for them stopping any involvement with the Kings staying, that's also false. They have been involved the entire way. Stern asked them to work in concert with him, and they took a backseat, but they've been pushing a new arena for years. Unfortunately, them pushing a new arena doesn't get a new arena built.

The 100,000 number is your number. It wouldn't take that many. Ten thousand fans gathered outside of Arco Arena would be a huge statement.
Everyone in Sacramento who wants to keep the Kings should be doing that every free hour of every day. Honestly. Use these social media tools to make it happen if you really want to keep the team in your city.

R

R1LOVER

From my perspective..... and my opinion for the sake of argument...

When they started pulling apart the kings from the Peja, webber, bibby days... we were all hopeful they would take that money and spend it on the superstar that we all thought we needed to get over the hump. Rather they traded off one after another of the great players we had and now we end up with a very low payroll and very low performance.

I think all of us hoped in time we would land that one big superstar nba player to rebuild our team around. That has never happened and so now what is the plan? rebuild from rookies and draft picks? i'm sorry but it doesn't work that way from what I have watched over the last 30 years.

Where are you pulling the stat that the Kings have paid more than the Pistons until this year? The website I'm looking at (USAToday database) shows the exact opposite after 2006. It shows the Pistons paid more than the Kings after 2006.
You're right, I had my numbers mixed up because I was looking at that stuff last night and wasn't looking at the extremely convenient USAToday website. Should have been. Even still, the point stands. The Kings have been over the salary cap every year.

And the point for a rebuild is great. But for what purpose? To finally spend on players once you move towns and try to build a solid fanbase there?
That's only the case if they move, and even so, I don't believe that they ever wanted to move. I think they have kept a move off the table until fairly recently.

The rebuild needed to happen, and that's how you do it. You get rid of the overpaid, underproducing players who are holding your team back, but oftentimes those are among your best players, which means your team doesn't do so hot for a few seasons. And then you grab some good draft picks, you go with a youth movement, and hopefully you land a really good young player (we happen to have two). Then you begin to add auxiliary pieces around him. The rebuild has been textbook, except for the fact that we didn't start the fullscale strip down until about four years after we should have. And I can't be too mad about that, because we have Evans and DMC to show for it.

From my perspective..... and my opinion for the sake of argument...

When they started pulling apart the kings from the Peja, webber, bibby days... we were all hopeful they would take that money and spend it on the superstar that we all thought we needed to get over the hump. Rather they traded off one after another of the great players we had and now we end up with a very low payroll and very low performance.

I think all of us hoped in time we would land that one big superstar nba player to rebuild our team around. That has never happened and so now what is the plan? rebuild from rookies and draft picks? i'm sorry but it doesn't work that way from what I have watched over the last 30 years.
1) The Sacramento Kings have made exactly one notable free agent acquisition over the last twenty years: Vlade Divac. Every other good player, we either traded for or drafted. Sacramento is just not a significant free agent destination. That's always been true, will always be true. You can offer big name players a ton of money, but they don't sign in Sacramento. We didn't have a shot at the 2010 free agent class.

2) In reality, rebuilds almost always include good drafting. Orlando, OKC, Portland, etc., their cornerstones are all draft picks. Even teams that do sign free agents or make huge trades have draft picks as their cornerstone players: Chicago, Miami, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Suns, etc. It's only rarely that a team builds a contender primarily through free agency.

3) The reason we traded those players without getting much in return is because they were overpaid -- by us. We wanted Miller, so we gave him a sign and trade deal that no one else would. We gave Bibby $80 million, when no one else would. Kevin Martin's $50 million that he wasn't earning, and we had to push him off as well. These players are not foundational players, but were making foundational player money. You can't be a good team if you're paying those three guys a total of $40 million a year. And you can't get great players back for them, either.

R

R1LOVER

1) The Sacramento Kings have made exactly one notable free agent acquisition over the last twenty years: Vlade Divac. Every other good player, we either traded for or drafted. Sacramento is just not a significant free agent destination. That's always been true, will always be true. You can offer big name players a ton of money, but they don't sign in Sacramento. We didn't have a shot at the 2010 free agent class.

2) In reality, rebuilds almost always include good drafting. Orlando, OKC, Portland, etc., their cornerstones are all draft picks. Even teams that do sign free agents or make huge trades have draft picks as their cornerstone players: Chicago, Miami, Lakers, Spurs, Mavs, Suns, etc. It's only rarely that a team builds a contender primarily through free agency.

3) The reason we traded those players without getting much in return is because they were overpaid -- by us. We wanted Miller, so we gave him a sign and trade deal that no one else would. We gave Bibby $80 million, when no one else would. Kevin Martin's $50 million that he wasn't earning, and we had to push him off as well. These players are not foundational players, but were making foundational player money. You can't be a good team if you're paying those three guys a total of $40 million a year. And you can't get great players back for them, either.
on #3, I think your numbers are over stated, but I see your point and agree some of them were overpaid for sure. Martin was a cheap pickup as he came at nothing, if we actually paid him that much after a year or two then this would fall into the bad business decisions the maloofs have made.

on #3, I think your numbers are over stated, but I see your point and agree some of them were overpaid for sure. Martin was a cheap pickup as he came at nothing, if we actually paid him that much after a year or two then this would fall into the bad business decisions the maloofs have made.
Bibby, $80 million: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/5612089
Martin, $55 million: http://www.aolnews.com/2007/08/28/kevin-martin-inks-55-million-with-kings/
Brad Miller, $ 70 million: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Three-way-deal-sends-Brad-Miller-to-Kings

Miller was set to make over $12 million last season; Martin over $10 million; Bibby $15 million. That's $37 million.

What do you mean, Martin was a cheap pickup? He was a late first round draft pick, and then we gave him a huge extension.

R

R1LOVER

Current salaries per year of past players.

Bibby 5.5 mil
Peja 15.5 mil
Kevin M 11.2 mil
Miller 4.4 mil
Ron 6.3 mil
Matt B 1.7 mil

Not a bad team if you add it up for the money....

through in a few more to fill the team at 1-2 mil each and you have a total of......

Are you sitting down?

approx 55 million..... per year.

amazing

Bibby 5.5 mil
Peja 15.5 mil
Kevin M 11.2 mil
Miller 4.4 mil
Ron 6.3 mil
Matt B 1.7 mil

through in a few more to fill the team at 1-2 mil each and you have a total of......

Are you sitting down?

approx 55 million..... per year.

amazing
That's a bad team, dude. That's a 30 win team, and worse, it has no future.

Bibby 5.5 mil
Peja 15.5 mil
Kevin M 11.2 mil
Miller 4.4 mil
Ron 6.3 mil
Matt B 1.7 mil

You can't be serious.

Cleveland would blow that team out by 20

They may crack 15 rebounds a night as a team.

A bunch of old injury prone chuckers with one 7 foot marshmallow in the middle.

R

R1LOVER

Yes it's not a championship team.... but it's better then what we have now and not too much more either... maybe 1-2 superstars away from a ring... so throw another 30 mil at it with two top guys and what do you have?

I can tell you this, if these players were still kings I would be a season ticket holder still.

I'm not the perfect team maker here.. I was just using this as an example of the money then and now. If we over paid players it was the fault of a bad decision, if we had to trade them due to the high salary then that was our fault.

It's clear they are not all making that type of money now and rightly so.

Yes it's not a championship team....
We agree. This will be the last time

but it's better then what we have now and not too much more either...
this statement does not even approach reality

maybe 1-2 superstars away from a ring... so throw another 30 mil at it with two top guys and what do you have?
every current NBA team in the league is 2 superstars or less away from contending. However, the team you constructed needs 3 more.

I can tell you this, if these players were still kings I would be a season ticket holder still.
and alone in the arena.

I'm not the perfect team maker here..
I was incorrect before. We agree again.

R

R1LOVER

Hey I got two you agree'd with.. that's a start... again it was only a quick example of the money.

Yes it's not a championship team.... but it's better then what we have now and not too much more either... maybe 1-2 superstars away from a ring... so throw another 30 mil at it with two top guys and what do you have?

I'm not the perfect team maker here.. I was just using this as an example of the money then and now. If we over paid players it was the fault of a bad decision, if we had to trade them due to the high salary then that was our fault.

That team is not better than what we have now. It's appreciably worse. Zero defense, no rebounding, and like I said, it's going nowhere in the future.

And yes, it needs a couple of top level guys to be viable. I mean, you throw Kobe and Pau at the Cavs and they're a 50 win team. That's the point, we needed those top level guys, and you don't get them in Sacramento via free agency. So we needed to find them in the draft, and it looks like we have.

You have got to be joking, or you need to get your head checked. Either that, or you haven't watched an NBA game since 2004. Bibby, Peja, and Miller are on their last legs and will be done very soon. Barnes is a roleplayer and nothing more. He's been very fortunate to play on contenders, and he has brought a lot to those teams, but he's really not a player to even discuss when putting together a core.

Artest and KMart are the only good players on that last. Artest is a headcase who wasn't going to last in Sacramento, and would have ditched us for the Lakers if we hadn't traded him to the Rockets first. The only player you can have a legit gripe about is KMart.

R

R1LOVER

You have got to be joking, or you need to get your head checked. Either that, or you haven't watched an NBA game since 2004. Bibby, Peja, and Miller are on their last legs and will be done very soon. Barnes is a roleplayer and nothing more. He's been very fortunate to play on contenders, and he has brought a lot to those teams, but he's really not a player to even discuss when putting together a core.

Artest and KMart are the only good players on that last. Artest is a headcase who wasn't going to last in Sacramento, and would have ditched us for the Lakers if we hadn't traded him to the Rockets first. The only player you can have a legit gripe about is KMart.
Hey I got two you agree'd with.. that's a start... again it was only a quick example of the money.
look up please.....

L

Lafayette

He's right, people in the OC will flock to KINGS games, it's not a bad thing and I'll still be a fan regardless of where they move too.