How do you feel about picking Evans?

How do you feel about us picking Tyreke Evans?

• Total voters
K

Kingsguy881

I'm glad I made this a public poll because I honestly think some of you who are disappointed now will be very happy to admit you were wrong down the road. :)
This is almost like the blind following the blind or something like that.

And to add my $.02... the Kings still desperately need a star. Not necessarily a PG... but a star. I think Evans has the best chance out of anyone in this draft to be a star. We had a chance to draft Rubio and passed... I'd have to think Petrie knows what he's doing. After the initial shock wears off, I think most of us will be happy about this pick in the long run.
We can use a player who's a monster attacking the rim, for sure. The horizon for the Kings being really good is a ways off in any case. Maybe Evans is our SG of the future.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Evans was the player with the highest ceiling in the draft in my opinion, including Griffin. I think we got the best player in the draft. He's a flat out stud.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ummmmmm... just wait until you at least see him on the court. That's all I'm saying. I'm predicting those people who are unhappy right now might just change their minds once they actually see how Evans can gel with the rest of our team. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I'm happy because the Kings had their pick between Evans and Rubio and didn't have their hand forced. Anybody here who believes they know with certainty who is going to be better is deluding themselves.
This is exactly how I feel.

Dropping to the 4th pick in the draft was devastating because I felt that we would not have the options available to truly get the player we needed.

There were plenty of people not wanting Griffin with the #1 pick if we got it due to JT. Petrie would probably not have selected Thabeet or Harden, so had we gotten the #2 or #3 pick, it probably would have still been a choice between Rubio and Evans.

So since Petrie had the choice of Evans and Rubio and selected Evans, I have to believe that Evans is going to help the Kings more than Rubio. Petrie is such a good judge of talent, I have to get behind this pick.

Ummmmmm... just wait until you at least see him on the court. That's all I'm saying. I'm predicting those people who are unhappy right now might just change their minds once they actually see how Evans can gel with the rest of our team. I don't think that's unreasonable.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I think Evans will be a good player for this team and gel with the rest of our players.

However, in 10 years.. looking back, I think Rubio will be the better player.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm happy because the Kings had their pick between Evans and Rubio and didn't have their hand forced. Anybody here who believes they know with certainty who is going to be better is deluding themselves.
My sentiments exactly. We actually made the choice between a couple guys we were hoping would be there for the first time in ages. Confident we got our guy.

I am a little concerned about the possible character issues but let's hope that's a non issue.

I'm alright with the pick. Like NME said, I like that the Kings had their choice of any point guard in the draft, and they chose the one that they wanted.

Evans reminds me of Russell Westbrook last year. A great penetrator at point guard, with nice defensive instincts and nice upside. I'm concerned about the turnovers, and his possible passing woes (Ron Artest/John Salmons). I love the length of the Kings back court though :).

S

sactownfan

Look we put Evans on the floor right now at the 1 and our team wins A LOT more games!

perimeter defense was our REAL BIGGEST NEED! and he fills that roll.

We can drop opponents 3pt% against us and stop the dribble penetration... Finally!!!

he makes this team better! he adds to making us more athletic, better defensively, and gives us a passing guy that can ACTUALLY drive and kick out to Kevin Martin for 3333333333333333333! i think we'll be seeing alot of that next year..

I love the Pick!!!

Look we put Evans on the floor right now at the 1 and our team wins A LOT more games!

We can drop opponents 3pt% against us and stop the dribble penetration... Finally!!!

he makes this team better! he adds to making us more athletic, better defensively, and gives us a passing guy that can ACTUALLY drive and kick out to Kevin Martin for 3333333333333333333! i think we'll be seeing alot of that next year..

I love the Pick!!!
that's the spirit. go evans!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I love the Pick!!!
You might want to change your avatar.

;)

I don't think this team has any intents to play defense.

this team has had no identity for the past few years

Rubio = identity

Evans = more displacement

And you know what? To all the close your eyes and pretend it is rainbows and unicorns sort of fans, if Evans puts up 16ppg as a rookie, it doesn't make it a success. He can put up points and we're still a bad team. Just ask KMart! We aren't going to be relevant for a few years and we needed a PG so very badly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think this team has any intents to play defense.

this team has had no identity for the past few years

Rubio = identity

Evans = more displacement

And you know what? To all the close your eyes and pretend it is rainbows and unicorns sort of fans, if Evans puts up 16ppg as a rookie, it doesn't make it a success. He can put up points and we're still a bad team. Just ask KMart! We aren't going to be relevant for a few years and we needed a PG so very badly.
What's the difference between someone who closes their eyes and pretends it's rainbows and unicorns and someone who closes their eyes and pretends it's all thunderstorms and demons? Just perspective.

Personally, I think you may have bought into Voisin's kool-aid stand a little too much. I was fascinated by Ricky Rubio but he wasn't without drawbacks. You're acting like we passed on Lebron James to get Quincy Douby...

i'll tell you who isn't happy about the fact that rubio was still on the board: geoff petrie. this clearly wasn't a last-minute, on-the-clock decision. we've heard through the wires that petrie favored tyreke evans over ricky rubio, because tyreke evans can score, and petrie loves scorers. my bet is that petrie would have rather seen rubio taken off the board at #3 by OKC, because then he would have gotten to draft his guy with no blowback. but i anticipate that the sacramento bee and the sacramento kings fanbase is going to crucify him in the aftermath of this draft. unless lebron james is in the building, fans pay to see a basketball team play, especially in sacramento, with the legacy of the chris webber/vlade divac/peja stojakovic/mike bibby/doug christie years behind them...

i like tyreke evans. i think he's a talented young player with potential, but realistically, he'll probably pan out as another combo guard who finds success in the nba as a john salmons type of player, who gets his points, but doesn't make his team any better. if this draft were stronger, than i would have no problem with petrie drafting bpa, because in great drafts there's the potential for impact players to fall anywhere in the top 5. but in such a weak draft, i think the team would be better served thinking about putting a young and exciting team on the floor, especially with fans getting restless in an empty building with roots in a city that might not even be home to the kings much longer. tyreke evans won't be playing much PG for the kings, and i'm not excited about trotting out beno udrih in '09-'10 as the long-term starting PG once again. as for sergio rodriguez, the kid is a longshot's pipe dream, at this point...

here's to hoping for another season of tanking, and the potential of john wall at #1 in 2010, though the kings would likely just end up with #4 again, anyway...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
1st impression..........pissed off

2nd impression.........very disappointed

3rd impression..........I would be fine IF Rubio was already off the board, but he wasn't, so for me........it stinks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
i'll tell you who isn't happy about the fact that rubio was still on the board: geoff petrie. this clearly wasn't a last-minute, on-the-clock decision. we've heard through the wires that petrie favored tyreke evans over ricky rubio, because tyreke evans can score, and petrie loves scorers. my bet is that petrie would have rather seen rubio taken off the board at #3 by OKC, because then he would have gotten to draft his guy with no blowback. but i anticipate that the sacramento bee and the sacramento kings fanbase is going to crucify him in the aftermath of this draft. unless lebron james is in the building, fans pay to see a basketball team play, especially in sacramento, with the legacy of the chris webber/vlade divac/peja stojakovic/mike bibby/doug christie years behind them...

i like tyreke evans. i think he's a talented young player with potential, but realistically, he'll probably pan out as another combo guard who finds success in the nba as a john salmons type of player, who gets his points, but doesn't make his team any better. if this draft were stronger, than i would have no problem with petrie drafting bpa, because in great drafts there's the potential for impact players to fall anywhere in the top 5. but in such a weak draft, i think the team would be better served thinking about putting a young and exciting team on the floor, especially with fans getting restless in an empty building with roots in a city that might not even be home to the kings much longer. tyreke evans won't be playing much PG for the kings, and i'm not excited about trotting out beno udrih in '09-'10 as the long-term starting PG once again. as for sergio rodriguez, the kid is a longshot's pipe dream, at this point...

here's to hoping for another season of tanking, and the potential of john wall at #1 in 2010, though the kings would likely just end up with #4 again, anyway...
And what if Rubio ended up unable to get out of his contract? Or ended up not being able to compete for an entire grinding season in the NBA?

I think Petrie had a difficult choice weighing all the pros and cons and I think he believes he made the right decision. And I have to consider he was probably aware of the whole picture much better than we are.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985

I like this post...........a lot!!

Why does everyone keep on saying we need a point guard, we should've drafted a pg etc.

Tyreke played the 1 in his only year in college, and he preformed greatly. This kid showed that he can run the point, although a combo, I have no doubt that he can contribute to what the kings do need both with his perimeter defense, and the fact that he does have a high level of vision and passing ability, I have no doubt this kid will help us in the future.

Smile people :D

Yep, agreed.

What's the difference between someone who closes their eyes and pretends it's rainbows and unicorns and someone who closes their eyes and pretends it's all thunderstorms and demons? Just perspective.
I don't know what the difference between those two types are. I can tell you the difference between me and those types. I can watch, analyze and understand. I can see Evans as being a 20ppg scorer or a Arenas type player, which I've said, and I watched the reports on his workouts, watch tourney games for draft prospects and watch international play for prospects. I've been following Rubio for years and I obviously follow the Kings.

I can see Evans being a rookie of the year and the Kings being stuck in the middle of the lottery for years. I can see Rubio struggling as a rookie but then making his team legit later down the road.

The difference between me and them is that I know a lot more about what I'm talking about than they do.

Personally, I think you may have bought into Voisin's kool-aid stand a little too much. I was fascinated by Ricky Rubio but he wasn't without drawbacks. You're acting like we passed on Lebron James to get Quincy Douby...
No, I don't find Voisin's work to be much worth while.

I am acting like we passed on Nash to get Ben Gordon.

And what if Rubio ended up unable to get out of his contract? Or ended up not being able to compete for an entire grinding season in the NBA?

I think Petrie had a difficult choice weighing all the pros and cons and I think he believes he made the right decision. And I have to consider he was probably aware of the whole picture much better than we are.
we certainly don't know all that petrie did, but i think rubio and his agent made it pretty clear that he was going to be playing in the nba this year. i don't think that's realistically a fear at this point...

and i'm sure petrie believes he made the right decision. you don't purposefully make what you believe is a wrong decision as the gm of a basketball team, unless you're intent on getting fired. i've never thought of geoff petrie as much of a self-sabotager. he's no al davis. i'm simply disagreeing with his approach, because i believe combo guards are the easiest type of player to find in the nba. i believe you could draft ricky rubio at #4 and re-sign rashad mccants on the cheap and be much better off in '09-'10...

What about Ricky Rubio would give this team an identity?
Probably open court and offensive, with the combo of Westphal, Rubio, Martin and big guys who run the floor. You can still try that with Evans, but he isn't the sort of distributor that makes that sort of team work best.