What about Jonny Flynn?

I know this may sound like a crazy idea to some, but what about drafting Jonny Flynn? Not with the number 1 pick of course...but we could trade down in the draft for a nice young player and then pick up flynn who, is the same height and weight as CP3 AND has posted almost identical stats in college...

I think he's going to be $ in the NBA. Thoughts?

Thats what he should be saying with his team in the tourney. We have seen this before, a player claims to be coming back then a few weeks later they declare. He would be stupid to not test the waters. I don't think he went to the combine last year so what harm would it do him to at least go and see where he is at? If he doesn't leave this year you would think next year would definitely be his last, so unless he is getting the worlds worse advice or determined Tim Duncan style to stick it out all four years he should be at the combine. I don't know if he declares, should be the best point guard in the country next year, but I'm not ready to count him out.

If i had to name my 5 favorite prospect Flynn would be in there. He is tough, runs the pick in roll extremely well, and is really smart with the ball. A offensive point but more well rounded then a guy like Teague to me.

If we could find the right package and trade out of a top pick for a mid/late lotto pick and get him i would be all for it. I would probably take him straight up if we slid out of a top 3 pick.

I do agree with you that he should declare. Would be a good pick at the later half of the draft if he falls that far.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like Flynn. He could be a top 10 pick (In this draft there are 20 guys who could be top 10 picks). He's very athletic, looks like he could be a good defender, good finisher, excellent dribbler, good shooter, leader, great competitor. As a passer, I'd give him a 7 or 8 out of 10. His game is well suited to the NBA. He would make the Kings instantly better by having him.

If Flynn comes out early and the Kings dont get a PG with their first pick. I say you trade up and get him for sure. He is a very player and can handle a game very well. All for Flynn with the second first round pick.

i like Flynn i also like Maynor i would be happy if either of those guys were available by the time our second pick comes around but that if may be a streach, after that i dont know who else we might get. but then again i dont know how many teams are trying to draft a PG.

I think he's a volume playmaker in the NBA--meaning that he needs to control the ball for the majority for the possession in order to make plays for others. Sort of like a Jamal Crawford-type playmaker. I think there's some toughness and scoring talent, but I question the shooting range, defense, his ability to be truly unselfish and his lack of height. But he is who he is, and actually his prototype (scoring guard with athleticism and some playmaking abilities) is actually en vogue in the NBA right now, not to mention that he's made a name for himself with Syracuse's run in the tourney as well as his own achievements in that six-overtime game. All in all, probably a late 1st rounder--but due to his lack of height and inability to D up, it shouldn't be for us.

Last edited:
I can't see Flynn dropping out of the first half of the draft. If Augustin went top 10 in much stronger draft then Flynn, Lawson, Teague, and maybe Maynor are all going in the first half of this draft. Like every year there will be a run on big men and point guards and those guys will be gone early. I hope I'm wrong, i would love for him to be available with the Houston pick.

Good points--I was never a fan of Augustin, btw (thought he lacked athleticism and height--normally being under 6'0" and lacking great athleticism and/or defensive ability is a huge problem in the league) but one thing he always had was his ability to shoot the ball and run the team--a la miniature Steve Nash, and so far he's exceled in those two categories. As for Jonny Flynn--the guy will probably get overdrafted as well because he made a name for himself, but I can't help but think that at the end of the day he's still a scoring-oriented guard with flashy passing skills. Many point guards in the league have that description, so he's not separating himself there. Again, the league loves push-the-pace guards and Flynn will fit that, but to what extent? He's not a good enough shooter, his pure passing ability is in question, he plays undisciplined defense and his lack of height is really problematic. Maybe he'll find his way in the league as a push-the-pace jitterbug type scorer a la Flip Murray with more passing, but I struggle to see beyond that.

I'll give you that his height and defense are major question marks. Although his outstanding athleticism is going to help him finish despite his size. The kids simply a better play maker then you are making him out be. He put up great assist numbers in the strongest conference in the country, i believe he was second in the conference behind Fields. He runs the pick and roll very well and towards the end of the season he was doing a great job of finding his teammates off of penetration. He isn't a great shooter but he is solid from mid range, he also has a quick release. If Flynn is going to be a good scorer its not going to be as a deep shooter. His ability to get to the basket or pull up off of the pick and roll is where he is going to do most of his damage. It would be nice if he could add 3 point range to his shooting, being 20 and a decent shooter i wouldn't rule that out. I agree with you that he needs to be less flashy, slow down, and make smarter plays. At the same time he doesn't play out of control and overall he is pretty smart with the ball, but your right this is something he could improve upon. I seem to like the kid more then most, i think he is going to be one of the best players from this draft if he decides to enters.

Last edited: