Rubio renegotiating buyout may enter in 2009

Just read this on DX:http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Blogging-through-the-Copa-del-Rey-Part-Two-3116

According to David Carro, the Spanish partner of Rubio's NBA agent, Dan Fegan, who we spoke with here at the Copa del Rey, there is “still a chance that Rubio could find his way into this year's draft.” Negotiations are reportedly underway to lower his buyout to more manageable proportions, possibly 3-4 million Euro. A solution could come as early as “this month” Carro told us, and in that case, Rubio would be able to afford getting out of his contract if he were to be “a top-3 pick” (which he very likely is), as long as he could pay off the buyout over the course of his rookie deal. Asked why Joventut would have any reason to even negotiate considering the leverage they hold in this situation, Carro responded that Rubio is the “image of the team” and that they “would not want to have a mad player.”

Obviously the door has yet to be completely closed on Ricky Rubio and this year's NBA draft, so we'll have to stay tuned.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Be still my heart!!!

I still think Rubio would be the steal of the draft and if Petrie finds a way to get it done, I'm going to be a very happy Kings fan!

Thanks for posting. (I moved it to the Personnel Moves forum since Rubio isn't actually a King - yet.) ;)

Kings get Rubio, this offseason wouldbe successful in that there would be no need for Sessions. Then the Kings could sign someone just as good as Sessions money wise such as a Trevor Ariza, Kleiza, David Lee (around 7-8 million would be good), or Hedo.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just a request? Could we kind of keep this thread about Rubio and not have it dissolve into yet another debate/discussion about Sessions or possible free agents? It gets really confusing to keep reading the same or similar comments in multiple threads...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Oh my!! We really need Rubio. If he could get a buyout done, and we could get him in the draft, next year, with all the young talent and a fun fun pg, would be a fantastic year to watch for Kings fans. That kid is just exciting.

Be still my heart!!!

I still think Rubio would be the steal of the draft and if Petrie finds a way to get it done, I'm going to be a very happy Kings fan!

Thanks for posting. (I moved it to the Personnel Moves forum since Rubio isn't actually a King - yet.) ;)
Somebody has to help me out seriously. I saw Rubio in the Olympics, but not enough to form an intelligent opinion. Please somebody tell me what makes him so special. To me, he just looked like a skinny, 17 year old kid trying to find himself on the World's stage.:confused:

Somebody has to help me out seriously. I saw Rubio in the Olympics, but not enough to form an intelligent opinion. Please somebody tell me what makes him so special. To me, he just looked like a skinny, 17 year old kid trying to find himself on the World's stage.:confused:
Well, first off, I would wager that at least 80% of the people who tout Rubio around these parts didn't really watch those games or haven't re-watched them recently with looking at Rubio in mind. He didn't look particularly impressive to me either, especially athletically.

You half answered your own question. Rubio, at 17, was out there playing with men twice his age, and on the worlds stage. Find himself? If you want to put it that way, but to just be there at his age is a testament to what he has already accomplished.

He is skinny, but he's also long, at 6'4." 6'4" puts him at jason kidd height, and elite height for a point guard. There are numerous reports on him in the draft thread. There's knocks on him, to be sure, but at his age there should be. If that's all you want to see, then thats your perogative.

Admittedly I've never watched Rubio play live, so my opinion is based simply off of highlight videos i've seen of him. In all the videos it looked like he drove right 90% of the time and every time he finished near the basket it was with his right hand. Again, I haven't seen him play except for short videos, but he seems to rely on his right hand too much and neglects his left hand. His jumpshot actually seems more like a set shot with a slow release. Has anybody seen enough of him to refute what I've seen? I honestly haven't seen much and wouldn't mind learning more about his game.

In an extremely weak draft (seriously, the other day I was looking at a mock draft website for the billionth time trying to analyze who would fit in here and decided that I didn't really have a strong interest in ANY of the ppl at the top aside from Griffin IF he is 6'9" at least).. anyway, so in a draft where the only relative lock for a few all star games is based on a highly debated "IF" then why not take a flier on Ricky? Drafting Rubio gives you at least as much a chance to be a star as anyone else in this draft and at a position that is one of the two most difficult to find star quality, plus (and many of you may not care about this aspect) but he would also bring in a large interest in Europe as well as just here in the states since so many people have heard of him and would like to see him play. That last part, especially in todays economy certainly offers an intriguing layer to the debate.

^ I feel the same way. I'm not satisfied with any of the available options in this draft. Rubio is like Obi Wan Kenobi, he is our only hope.

Whether he's the answer for the Kings or not, I really hope he'll enter this draft. There's no guarantee where our pick will wind up being, and, unless it's #1, the more strong candidates there are in the top 5, the better for us.

Admittedly I've never watched Rubio play live, so my opinion is based simply off of highlight videos i've seen of him. In all the videos it looked like he drove right 90% of the time and every time he finished near the basket it was with his right hand. Again, I haven't seen him play except for short videos, but he seems to rely on his right hand too much and neglects his left hand. His jumpshot actually seems more like a set shot with a slow release. Has anybody seen enough of him to refute what I've seen? I honestly haven't seen much and wouldn't mind learning more about his game.

I cant refute what youre saying, but I'm sure he could manage going primarily to his right. If you watch ginobili, he primarily goes left and still is able to finish well, but then again I dont know if Rubio has the same kind of quickness and first step (I cant say if he does or not because I have only seen a game or two of him). Either way, in a draft where there isn't too much star potential, I would be fine with taking Rubio.

I have seen quite a bit of Rubio, and he would bring Jason Williams like excitement back to the Kings. He would put butts in the seats, and he has a higher ceiling that Williams.

He didn't do the greatest in the Olympics, but you have to remember this was a 17 year old kid playing against top NBA, and world talent. You can see by watching him how good he can, and will be.

If he was available this year the Kings would be dumb not to take him.. It would be a financial as well as a team improving decision.

I am being totally serious when I write this, but this kid really does have the potential to be a 15-20ppg 10-12apg 1.5-2.5spg kind of player who makes players around him better. He's that good. Plus he's still real young. We would have him at 19 years old.

Last edited:
There are definitely things I worry about with his game, but in this incredibly weak draft where this isn't a whole lot of potential impact players, Rubio is one and I'd definitely take him over any of the others. I don't want to get my hopes up too high though.

At the very least he will help with the Maloofs financial situation by putting people in the stands. He is that exciting of player. You always woder what he's going to do with the ball when he has it.

Like Purple Reign, I, too, saw Rubio in the Olympics and just wasn't that impressed. Can someone tell me what all the hype is about him?

At the very least he will help with the Maloofs financial situation by putting people in the stands. He is that exciting of player. You always woder what he's going to do with the ball when he has it.
Rubio's passing, ball handling, vision, creativity, drive, and IQ are way too good for him to not be at least a solid player in this league.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Rubio's passing, ball handling, vision, creativity, drive, and IQ are way too good for him to not be at least a solid player in this league.

I have read this about him, as well. I understand that he is not a bad defender for such a young kid. Given time to finish growing and filling out his frame, this kid will be very good in just 2-3 years. Heck, he is better than what we have now and he's only 17.

I also like that he is already a good floor general. A floor leader at only 17? I love that.