C-Webb's Retirement

I'll never forget Vlade and his '3' sign!! I think the most memorable was when he hit the 3 against Utah in the 2003 playoffs to seal it...before the Dallas series...and the beginning of the end when Chris blew out his knee.:( I have no doubt in my mind that if that hadnt happened we would have gone on to play the Spurs in the WCF and more than likely beaten them as well, and achieved greatness...but it was all a dream, and I am awake now realizing what could and should have been...

...I just hope we still have a team here in Sacramento one day to be able to have a Championship parade down Capitol Mall...it might not be as far off as you think...if we just could get a darn arena built here, after next season we'll have a ton of money and 2 more draft picks to build around...and we can bring back Webb as an assistant coach, too!:D How great would THAT be!!!:)

edit: As far as I'm concerned, we should bring back Webb, Doug and Bobby as assistant coaches, and hire Vlade as our head coach down the road!

Last edited:
...I just hope we still have a team here in Sacramento one day to be able to have a Championship parade down Capitol Mall...it might not be as far off as you think...if we just could get a darn arena built here, after next season we'll have a ton of money and 2 more draft picks to build around...and we can bring back Webb as an assistant coach, too!:D How great would THAT be!!!:)

edit: As far as I'm concerned, we should bring back Webb, Doug and Bobby as assistant coaches, and hire Vlade as our head coach down the road!
Vlade as far as I know, is pretty busy with his humanitarian efforts. However, Doug has recently expressed an interest in coaching on a KHTK interview he did the other day. When Corliss retired, he said he wanted to coach. As far as I'm concerned, having Big Nasty and Doug as assistants would do wonders for young guys because not only do they have a lot to pass on, but they are quality character guys and demand respect as former players. I can't see a downside.

Vlade as far as I know, is pretty busy with his humanitarian efforts. However, Doug has recently expressed an interest in coaching on a KHTK interview he did the other day. When Corliss retired, he said he wanted to coach. As far as I'm concerned, having Big Nasty and Doug as assistants would do wonders for young guys because not only do they have a lot to pass on, but they are quality character guys and demand respect as former players. I can't see a downside.
Yeah, I know Vlade is and always has been incredibly busy with his humanitarian efforts, but I'd love to see Doug, Corliss, Bobby and even Chris, back on our bench as assistants...and who knows, ultimately maybe one day one of them as our HEAD coach! I know they all have the utmost respect for Geoff Petrie and the Maloofs(especially Geoff)and hopefully one day soon might be offered positions with the Kings, coaching or not, as long as they're here in Sacramento that's all that matters...Kings forever!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think Doug would be a great addition to our coaching staff...if it were ever to happen. As someone who was an elite all nba defender he would command a lot of respect from our players and his unquestioned work ethic might rub off on some players who could improve in that area. Imagine how much kevin would improve if he spent just one off season getting tutored my Doug.

I wish we had Chris longer than we did, he left us too soon.
That's one thing that eats at me. We all know about 2002, but the very next year Webber's knee went. With the decline of the Western powers at the time, the Kings would have had a very good chance at a ring from 2003-2006 IMO. They owned Dallas, Portland had declined by that time, the Suns wouldn't have competed against the Kings IMO with a healthy Webber, and LA was declining and ultimately broke up after 2004. That really only leaves the Spurs who were serious competition.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nice picture Piksi:) Read about the venue only today and I thought I should stop by and say a few words myself for the sake of oldie but goodie days...

I did not know that Cwebb was having his jersey retired. Congratulations Chris and I wish you and the family all the best.. you are one class act...

On a side note, It is fantastic to see many posters from my time who are still here and enjoying this great forum... brick; no grades today for hedo huh? :rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone... cheers-Gandalf..:)
Wow...

First I go to Sacramento and see Doug and Vlade, Scot and Mateen surrounding our guy Webb. Then I come home, log online and see GANDALF THE GRAY??? Wow. Just wow.

Welcome back, if only for a guest appearance.

That's one thing that eats at me. We all know about 2002, but the very next year Webber's knee went. With the decline of the Western powers at the time, the Kings would have had a very good chance at a ring from 2003-2006 IMO. They owned Dallas, Portland had declined by that time, the Suns wouldn't have competed against the Kings IMO with a healthy Webber, and LA was declining and ultimately broke up after 2004. That really only leaves the Spurs who were serious competition.
He was our franchise player and he only played here 6 years, it just doesn't seem right that it went down like that. He should've been a King for the rest of his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-oezOFKf3w

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What happened was discussed over and over and over again for a very long time. It's all water under the bridge and whatever hard feelings there were are gone, as they should be. (At least on the part of Webber and the organization.)

Regardless of the past, he's a King forever now.

Webber said in his interview with nbatv after the ceremony that he was looking to get into management and he already had some offers he was mulling over. Are we going to get on that or what?