[WNBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT??? The Atlanta Dream actually won not just one, but two --- TWO!!! --- games in a row? :eek:

Watch out, Monarchs! The Dream might be hotter than the M's right now! :p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
So, Parker goes for 40/16/6/5/2, and it still takes them overtime to beat Houston at home? Let's hope that's a good omen for the Monarchs later this evening...

That was the weirdest game ever....for that very reason. Watching the +/- fluctuate in the box score was crazy. Of their starters, she was the only one in the + for a while (she may have been that way for the whole game I forgot to look). But I remember looking at that stat for her when she had scored her 30th point, her +/- was somewhere around a +2. The bench players were all in the positive.

I'm hoping she shot her arm off, that Milton-Jones stays hurt and Leslie has another foul ridden night. (and that the Monarchs show up for 40 minutes (and any extra time they deem necessary).

I hope the Monarchs remember that the last time LA was here, they were also on a b2b that went into overtime. Narchs came out guns & defense blaring, while LA looked tired and out of sorts for the first half. Then came the second half...

Bring on that energy again Monarchs, but be sure to save some for the second half. You CAN beat this team, and nothing would lift your spirits more:)

Dream win again!

BTW, Kristin Haynie seems to be trying to make a run at the starting job lately...

Today: 2 pts, 6 rebounds (3 offensive), 7 assists, 3 steals, 1 TO in 21 minutes. partially injured too i believe. Dream seems to be better with her at the point than Latta.

Reliant is a helluva lot less expensive to operate compared to the rent they were having to pay to continue to play in Toyota Center. Of the new owners coming into the league the last few years, Hilton Koch is probably the least flush of all of them and definitely of all of them coming in without an investment group.

I'm intrigued by the Thompson benching....

I'm more intrigued by the Houston win...M's should be in a virtual tie again for spot #4, with Houston a half game back and four more games at home to play.

Time for the M's to go on a run....

oooh, and while I'm at a state of high intrigue...

Later tonight, it's Los Angeles @ Phoenix. Los Angeles could do the rest of the west a favor and put Phx out of their misery by beating them and pushing them further down the hole. Phoenix wins they join Houston sitting a half game behind the two teams tied for the 4th spot, LA would remain 2.5 games ahead of the teams in the 4th spot.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Reliant is a helluva lot less expensive to operate compared to the rent they were having to pay to continue to play in Toyota Center. Of the new owners coming into the league the last few years, Hilton Koch is probably the least flush of all of them and definitely of all of them coming in without an investment group.
Ah... You could have just said that, too: I hadn't realized that Les Alexander had sold his stake of the Comets. If they're no longer associated with the Rockets, that makes perfect sense.

So that takes the count for independent owners to what? Seven (Los Angeles, Seattle, Houston, Washington, Connecticut, Chicago, Atlanta)?

Well now.... Minnesota just hung on to beat San Antonio in San Antonio...the Lynx are now 11-11 like the Ms. And both teams are now 4 games behind San Antonio for #1.

Currently, thanks to a furious start to the 3rd quarter by the Sparks, the Comets and Sparks are tied 41 all...

And I believe Phoenix - Atlanta just tipped. (GOOOOOO DREAM!!! :))

Soooo...about that LA Houston game, it has gone to overtime...and the last I looked is tied 67-67 in the OT. I have Pee Wee for Pick One tonight and she is doing nothing but clanking shots, but of course Michelle Snow has shown up a day late and dollar short for me...

Now, after having gotten PASTED in the first quarter of their game, the Dream have found some offense and have chipped 2pts off their deficit trailing by 14 at the half. GOOOOOOOOOOO DREAM!!!

...So that takes the count for independent owners to what? Seven (Los Angeles, Seattle, Houston, Washington, Connecticut, Chicago, Atlanta)?
That is correct: half of the 14 WNBA teams are independently owned. Seattle and Atlanta are the latest of the independent franchises.

Hilton Koch (a furniture salesman) bought the Houston Comets, IIRC, in January 2007. It took place a few months after the L.A. Sparks were bought by two Sparks season-ticket holders.

For those who haven't heard, Tree Rollins has just been fired as the head coach of the Washington Mystics. Assistant coach Jessie Kenlaw has been named interim coach.

Kenlaw used to be an assistant with the Seattle Storm (during the Anne Donovan and Jenny Boucek years) and Houston Comets. This is her first head coaching gig in the WNBA. She also was a head coach at the University of Houston.

http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/Jessie_Kenlaw_Named_Mystics_In-278247-230.html

Houston is now 2-0 on their home stand, they are also now 11-12 and a half game behind the Lynx and M's. Los Angeles is now 2.0 and 1.5 games ahead of those same three teams respectively in spot #3.

San Antonio and Seattle are in a virtual tie for first place.

Phoenix wins and they join Houston in the place where they sit in the standings....since I haven't said this in nearly a half hour...GOOOOOO
DREAM!!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo kiddin!!!!! :eek: What in the HELL happened?!?!?! I swear I only looked away for a few minutes...

Okeee, if the Dream should come back and pull to within 1 like they did last night, the Mercury should be disbanded...IMMEDIATELY.

Let's consider the Merc 11-12 like Hou and the Monarchs may want to suck it up and kick the crap out of Detroit and Atlanta on this roady because goodness knows even a split might put them in the cellar on the way home.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Hey Monarchs fans, check out the crazy threads in the Lounge. Lots of contests going on there. Be sure and put in your support for our own Monty'sBiggestFan and Mr. Slim Citrus if you like their music choices. They are in the purple and black brackets for Desert Island Music Albums (or something like that). That would be in the poll threads.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
  • Saw the Dream snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Washington. I tell you what: before the last two games, I didn't realize how popular Ivory Latta is. She's the star of that team.
  • I don't know if I'm a bad luck charm for Betty Lennox, but B-Money (ka-ching) combined for three points in two games.
  • Haynie did not impress, and she had plenty of opportunity out there to impress. Meadors has had a real short leash on Lennox the last couple of games, so Haynie's been getting a lot of her minutes.
  • That said, their best offensive lineup is Haynie-Latta-Young-Castro Marques-Terry. Their best defensive lineup is Latta-Young-Lacy-De Souza-Bales.
  • Feenstra appears to be worthless. Meadors should try to package her and Lennox for a few young players/draft picks. It's not as if Lennox isn't going to bolt the first chance she gets, anyway.

Yes Latta is the star of the team...

not to really argue but:

Latta had TWICE the playing time than Haynie last night but had twice more TOs, 3x less assists, same rebounds, and same points per minute, steals per minute last night. Lennox had been getting less minutes ever since Haynie had been getting more. Down there in AtLATTA er, atlanta, Latta had been getting preferential treatment anyway. Both Latta and Lennox are shoot first, me first players. Atlanta fared poorly since no body got involved and players fared for themselves.

Now I'm not saying Haynie is the world's best PG etc....it's just that while Latta may be the more "gifted" player, Haynie is more efficient for the team since actually tries to involve other players while roughly making as much production per minute played if not more (with the exception of points). If you watched most ATL games (which I do) you can see lots of good passes (hence assists) by Haynie wasted when their bigs mess up. Like Feenstra getting fouled or missing a lay-up rebounding it then missing or eventually making the shot. Those don't count as assists you know.

Did you see the last quater of the ATL MIN game before?

javascript:wnbaVideoLP(escape('http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/wnba/wnba/webcast_archive/webcast08_129_atlmin.asx&gid='),escape('blank'));

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not that I see where it makes any difference, but I've seen every Dream game that's been on TV, plus a few that haven't, because I've been to a few games live (@ Washington, @ Washington, Sacramento, Washington).

You can like Haynie, and that's cool... but Haynie ain't starting for Atlanta, not unless they trade Lennox, and move Latta to SG. Many of your remarks have truth to them on their face, but let's not kid ourselves: it's not like Haynie getting more time is the difference between them being a three-win team and a thirteen-win team. Start Haynie, and they might have five wins... but probably not. That team is just plain bad, and they can't stop anybody.

And besides which, to whatever degree that Haynie may be more efficient than Latta, it's clearly not enough so to regain the starting position. Just because you're more "efficient" doesn't mean that you deserve to start... or even if you do, that there's any chance you're going to: Eric Snow is a more efficient point guard than Daniel Gibson; he ain't starting. Chris Duhon is a more efficient point guard than Kirk Hinrich. For all that, let's just limit our search to WNBA teams, for the sake of argument: by the numbers, Lelani Mitchell is more efficient than Loree Moore, and she shoots better from the field. But Moore is one of their stars, so Mitchell gets to bring her efficiency off the bench. Guess who's more efficient between Lindsey Harding and Noelle Quinn? Guess who's starting (here's a hint: each question has a different answer)?

Look, you play to win the game, and that's all well and to the good, but you're also trying to put asses in the seats. And people ain't going to Phillips Arena to see Latta on the bench. If Lennox continues to occupy Meadors' doghouse, and Haynie turns out to be the beneficiary, then good for Haynie. I don't really care whether she starts or not, as I always felt that she wasn't good enough to start for Sacramento, but that doesn't mean she isn't good enough to start for a lesser team like Atlanta... But, pointing to efficiency stats as if you expect Haynie to start over Latta some day is only going to cause your blood pressure to go up.

Last edited:
Never mentioned Haynie starting in my post. It was never my contention that Haynie should start over Latta. Latta will continue to start, she's an asset. They need to put people in seats. All true. Never said that Haynie playing more=more wins. It may, or it may not. After all, as you said, Atlanta is just plain bad. All I'm saying is that when given the playing time, Haynie is actually productive (at least on this team) and is more efficient than Latta since she tries to be a PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.